Author Topic: Blaming Video Games for Violence... Again  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Blaming Video Games for Violence... Again
« on: February 24, 2018, 03:50:00 pm »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/02/22/trump-blames-violent-video-games-for-school-shootings-heres-why-hes-wrong/#1fd53a5a67f3

The fact that politicians keep beating this drum irks me. We've known for at least ten years that these allegations aren't true.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Blaming Video Games for Violence... Again
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 06:10:35 pm »
Of course. Anything to distract from the blindingly obvious correlation between guns and gun deaths.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:30:36 pm »
Luckily, I don't play shooters. But I do play Transport Tycoon, which of course turned me into the next Richard Branson.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 06:38:13 pm »
Luckily, I don't play shooters. But I do play Transport Tycoon, which of course turned me into the next Richard Branson.

I've played Pokemon once upon a time, so obviously I'm just as bad as Michael Vick.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 07:25:54 pm »
I found an interesting study. Apparently, studies that fail to find a link between video games and violence are less likely to be published. Of course, studies with negative results usually are underpublished, but it's always nice to have evidence.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 04:45:55 am »
Because the president of USA is attacking the GAMERS this means that the KiA and the rest of the "totally all about ethical journalism in gaming and nothing else" crowd have chosen their side.

Against video games of course. ...Because gaming journalists said that games don't turn people into mass murderers and siding with the ENEMY is heresy of the worst kind.

Those people are so damn gullible and easy to exploit.

https://np.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/7zml81/ethics_a_friendly_reminder_that_in_light_of_the/
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 05:49:24 am »
Everyone knows that's why the ancient era and the middle ages were so brutal compared to today's world:  all those damned video games.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 06:14:09 am »
People took their Mount and Blade LARPs very seriously back then.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 10:17:39 am »
Aah, feel that good old 90s nostalgia.  Makes me feel like a young'un again.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 03:25:23 am »
Because the president of USA is attacking the GAMERS this means that the KiA and the rest of the "totally all about ethical journalism in gaming and nothing else" crowd have chosen their side.

Against video games of course. ...Because gaming journalists said that games don't turn people into mass murderers and siding with the ENEMY is heresy of the worst kind.

Those people are so damn gullible and easy to exploit.

https://np.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/7zml81/ethics_a_friendly_reminder_that_in_light_of_the/

"still pale to what the likes of Sarkeesian have pushed, this post isn't about that."

lol