Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 273525 times)

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #945 on: August 15, 2017, 08:26:33 pm »
I don't even understand this discussion. Nazis are bad, and murdered millions. These guys in Charlottesville were carrying swastikas, came with weapons, that's not free speech, that's hate. It's disgraceful. Who the fuck brings weapons to a peaceful protest?

If you believe they had the right to protest about white equality by espousing hatred, bigotry, and violence, then you need to take a long look in the mirror, because that makes you a bigot and a racist.

I don't like what you're saying, so stop saying it!

Research show prejudice, not free-speech principles, often underpin free-speech defense for racists.

Many free countries have hate speech laws and many authoritarian nations openly allow hate speech against politically convenient minorities. I think America is over-due for constitutional interpretations removing free speech protections for hate speech. It has no place in civilized societies.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #946 on: August 15, 2017, 08:31:09 pm »
I don't even understand this discussion. Nazis are bad, and murdered millions. These guys in Charlottesville were carrying swastikas, came with weapons, that's not free speech, that's hate. It's disgraceful. Who the fuck brings weapons to a peaceful protest?

If you believe they had the right to protest about white equality by espousing hatred, bigotry, and violence, then you need to take a long look in the mirror, because that makes you a bigot and a racist.

Research show prejudice, not free-speech principles, often underpin free-speech defense for racists.

Many free countries have hate speech laws and many authoritarian nations openly allow hate speech against politically convenient minorities. I think America is over-due for constitutional interpretations removing free speech protections for hate speech. It has no place in civilized societies.

And then what I'm worried about is who gets to define what "hate speech" is, because if that sort of thing were put in place now, it'd be uber-racist Jeff Sessions and a Supreme Court that could well have a majority of mini-Scalias in the next few years.

EDIT: And of course all the lower federal courts that Trump is putting people on.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #947 on: August 15, 2017, 08:40:45 pm »

And then what I'm worried about is who gets to define what "hate speech" is, because if that sort of thing were put in place now, it'd be uber-racist Jeff Sessions and a Supreme Court that could well have a majority of mini-Scalias in the next few years.

EDIT: And of course all the lower federal courts that Trump is putting people on.

I will not point to freedom-hating Canada as an example (which it ironically is), but Germany and many other European nations have similar laws that could provide guidance on interpretation as well as partisan shifts. Besides, at least in the context of discrimination, there are certain protected classes that courts usually do not step outside of for granting protections/restrictions. I see this as a flawed slippery slope argument.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #948 on: August 15, 2017, 11:35:28 pm »
And I disagree with our hate speech laws. To me, it veers dangerously close to thoughtcrime.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #949 on: August 16, 2017, 12:56:39 am »
I for one support hate speech laws. The laws can be made sensible.

In fact I like the definition where "inciting violence against a specific group of people" is the definition of hate speech. That way anyone going around saying that we should kill all [insert ethnic group] are in violation of the law, whether they were carrying signs in the streets or publishing official presidential statements on Twitter. But it also means that you don't define specifically that only minorities can be target of hate speech (though they are the ones that, generally speaking, are more likely to require protection and nearly always are the victims.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #950 on: August 16, 2017, 09:41:19 am »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #951 on: August 16, 2017, 09:55:09 am »
........what?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #952 on: August 16, 2017, 10:08:56 am »
Aah, yes.  I forgot to ask our Lord and Saviour, Yellow Frat Boy, if it was okay if I left my girlfriend unable to walk for several hours.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #953 on: August 16, 2017, 10:34:01 am »
..................damn dude.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #954 on: August 16, 2017, 11:01:26 am »
Welp I think the original version had Jesus instead of the yellow bastard and it was about staying until marriage. Not sure what's going on with that version. Is he someone semi-famous? 
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #955 on: August 16, 2017, 12:47:11 pm »
It looks like Elliot Rodgers to be.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #956 on: August 16, 2017, 02:53:51 pm »
...A spree killer who said his motivation was that he didn't get sex and was envious of men who got sex. Also it is somehow the fault of the women.

And based on the picture he wasn't even unattractive looking (well, that's just my opinion though) so I am gonna make a wild fucking guess that his personality was the biggest problem he had.

Goddamn "niceguys" blaming others for their own problems. I admit that sex and intimacy are important for most people but a) There are ways to improve yourself to make yourself more attractive to others. b) Prostitution is always an option.

And for the record: Murderer-fandom is really fucking creepy.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #957 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:10 pm »
...A spree killer who said his motivation was that he didn't get sex and was envious of men who got sex. Also it is somehow the fault of the women.

And based on the picture he wasn't even unattractive looking (well, that's just my opinion though) so I am gonna make a wild fucking guess that his personality was the biggest problem he had.

Goddamn "niceguys" blaming others for their own problems. I admit that sex and intimacy are important for most people but a) There are ways to improve yourself to make yourself more attractive to others. b) Prostitution is always an option.

And for the record: Murderer-fandom is really fucking creepy.

Oh, don't get me started on that. There was a time when I wanted to hit every Tsarnaev fangirl with a clue-by-four.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #958 on: August 20, 2017, 01:18:52 am »
"White Privilege" is a fake word.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #959 on: August 20, 2017, 05:31:14 am »
It looks like Elliot Rodgers to be.
It is indeed Rodgers and was found on r/Incels.