Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 273422 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #705 on: January 30, 2017, 04:19:08 pm »
Found on r/incels

(click to show/hide)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #706 on: January 30, 2017, 04:25:22 pm »
"Balloon appearing noise?" That's just lazy.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #707 on: January 30, 2017, 04:38:22 pm »
"pop" - That wasn't hard.

pyro

« Reply #708 on: January 30, 2017, 06:24:14 pm »
Allow me to quote the great philosopher Nice Peter:

And... DOINK!
Nice punchline bro,
Your jokes haven't grown,
Since you told them in a lunchline bro,
You're an eight-year-old boy,
Stuck inside a whatever-year-old man,
"Look at me, I'm [incel], I can,
[Blog] about my problems instead of solvin' them,"
You wanna heal,
You gotta deal,
With your issues,
'Cause the bottle's not stoppin' em

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #709 on: January 30, 2017, 06:27:50 pm »
I love that rap battle.

Ironbite-good way to end the season too.

pyro

« Reply #710 on: January 30, 2017, 06:51:23 pm »
"pop" - That wasn't hard.

"pop" was used one panel later for the balloon going away.

Assuming the string wasn't taut when the balloon appeared, you could probably just use "doink", since that's about the noise the balloon will make when it bounces on the end of its string after floating to the top. You'd need to make sure it's shown reverberating off the string.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #711 on: January 31, 2017, 01:44:13 am »
I don't think it's a bad comic. It is true that for some people life is harder than the others (notice how the suffering person has an empty balloon called health and clearly has more problems than the person in the first panel) and loneliness certainly is a real problem.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #712 on: January 31, 2017, 02:36:19 am »
I don't think the basic idea is bad on it's own merits, but coming from r/incel, the people who want the government to force women to date them at gunpoint, it raises nasty implications.  It's like when Islamophobes talk about how Islam threatens women's rights but want Muslim women kicked out of western countries. A fig leaf of reasonableness to cover up the bigoted core of their ideology.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #713 on: January 31, 2017, 03:35:01 am »
OK, I get that you don't like the site it comes from but I don't sense anything particularly evil or wrong about his comic and don't know if they made it or if they simply shared it because they identified with the message in it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #714 on: February 01, 2017, 02:18:40 am »
Not disagreeing with your points Askold but I can't help noticing a, the woman carries no burdens which fits in with the incel view of women as being more privileged than poor downtrodden incel men and b, she rejects him just for shits and giggles which fits in with the incel view of women being evil harpy succubi.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #715 on: February 01, 2017, 02:46:35 am »
Well if you go with that then maybe, but if you assume that the genders are random or that the POV is of the burdened character and they do not know what kind of burdens other people carry then it's not bad.

I don't know incel well enough to know if this comic really is a misogynistic "guys suffer women get it easy" propaganda, but at least you can easily interpret it in a better way.

pyro

« Reply #716 on: February 01, 2017, 09:27:11 am »
The woman is clearly aware of burden guy's problem.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #717 on: February 01, 2017, 02:55:41 pm »
Was that comic actually drawn by an incel?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #718 on: February 01, 2017, 03:46:54 pm »
Not disagreeing with your points Askold but I can't help noticing a, the woman carries no burdens which fits in with the incel view of women as being more privileged than poor downtrodden incel men and b, she rejects him just for shits and giggles which fits in with the incel view of women being evil harpy succubi.

a) ok, but she doesn't have balloons either? I think it's clear that it's not meant to show the things she 'carries with her', to make her look explicitly privileged she'd look like the guy in the first panel

b) She doesn't reject him, consider he doesn't make an advance in the first place. She just walks past him.

It seems like your argument is 'this comic is bad because it was made by an incel, who believe bad things'. As opposed to anything about the comic, which seems a pretty straightforward 'loneliness sucks' message.

and, y'know, loneliness does suck. Incels are not wrong about that.
Σא

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #719 on: February 01, 2017, 04:53:31 pm »

a) ok, but she doesn't have balloons either? I think it's clear that it's not meant to show the things she 'carries with her', to make her look explicitly privileged she'd look like the guy in the first panel

b) She doesn't reject him, consider he doesn't make an advance in the first place. She just walks past him.

It seems like your argument is 'this comic is bad because it was made by an incel, who believe bad things'. As opposed to anything about the comic, which seems a pretty straightforward 'loneliness sucks' message.

and, y'know, loneliness does suck. Incels are not wrong about that.

a), the person with a somewhat heavy burden is more privileged than the person with none? He's better off than the guy with a super heavy load but not the woman in the comic.
b), she notes that he needs help then proceeds to ignore his need for help. Looks like a rejection to me.
c) that was not remotely my argument, I just noted that the comic places the responsibility on the guy's final squished state on the cold-hearted woman who ignores his need for help that she shows full awareness of.
d) no shit, water is also wet.