Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 273329 times)

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #345 on: April 08, 2016, 12:39:23 pm »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #346 on: April 08, 2016, 12:45:24 pm »
Go, Home Skool! That'll show 'em. XD
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #347 on: April 08, 2016, 11:34:28 pm »
long story short, wage gap isn't because of women getting paid less for the same job but because they chose to go into low paying areas with more flexibility and benefits

"they chose to go into low paying areas" that could never be due to sexism tho

you also have to consider why those areas are low paying in the first place, and whether it's a case of the jobs being low paying because women traditionally take those jobs

i remember reading an article a while ago (can't remember where, apologies) that pointed out that doctors are far less respected in... i believe it was russia, because generally women are doctors and so it was seen as a less prestigious career, and more of an extension of a stereotypically "caring" role

Wether it is or not, just means gasp, I don't know

That's what you should focus on fixing. Get those women in the coal mines away fron their families. Those roofs aren't going to tar and shingle themselves. Get all that hazard pay for all I care. Just stop lieing about the gap.

So, the wage gap is a myth because women choose to work in women dominated jobs, which pay less because women dominated jobs aren't held in the same regard as men, so it's women's fault for not abandoning these jobs and finding men dominated jobs, because equality isn't about raising a group's worth so much as getting them to conform to another group after having them see that their original group is just inherently worth less.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #348 on: April 08, 2016, 11:47:17 pm »
long story short, wage gap isn't because of women getting paid less for the same job but because they chose to go into low paying areas with more flexibility and benefits

"they chose to go into low paying areas" that could never be due to sexism tho

you also have to consider why those areas are low paying in the first place, and whether it's a case of the jobs being low paying because women traditionally take those jobs

i remember reading an article a while ago (can't remember where, apologies) that pointed out that doctors are far less respected in... i believe it was russia, because generally women are doctors and so it was seen as a less prestigious career, and more of an extension of a stereotypically "caring" role

Wether it is or not, just means gasp, I don't know

That's what you should focus on fixing. Get those women in the coal mines away fron their families. Those roofs aren't going to tar and shingle themselves. Get all that hazard pay for all I care. Just stop lieing about the gap.

So, the wage gap is a myth because women choose to work in women dominated jobs, which pay less because women dominated jobs aren't held in the same regard as men, so it's women's fault for not abandoning these jobs and finding men dominated jobs, because equality isn't about raising a group's worth so much as getting them to conform to another group after having them see that their original group is just inherently worth less.

I wouldn't say the wage gap is a myth, so much as it's misunderstood.  Women don't get paid less for the same work, at least not by as much as is commonly claimed.  Like you said, the reality is more subtle than that.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:41:29 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #349 on: April 09, 2016, 12:10:33 am »
OFFS that is not what she meant, and it was not about the issue being "more subtle", either, UP. Denser than depleted uranium.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #350 on: April 09, 2016, 12:11:53 am »
OFFS that is not what she meant, and it was not about the issue being "more subtle", either, UP. Denser than depleted uranium.

I was just chipping in my two cents.  I know exactly what she meant.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #351 on: April 09, 2016, 12:17:08 am »
Just so we're clear, everyone knows I was just paraphrasing the guy's shitty logic, right?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #352 on: April 09, 2016, 12:17:47 am »
Just so we're clear, everyone knows I was just paraphrasing the guy's shitty logic, right?

Yup.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #353 on: April 09, 2016, 12:29:11 am »
LOL. Reeeeeeeeeeeeealy, UP?

"I wouldn't say the wage gap is a myth, so much as it's misunderstood.  Women don't get paid less for the same work.  Like you said, the reality is more subtle than that."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #354 on: April 09, 2016, 01:02:15 am »
LOL. Reeeeeeeeeeeeealy, UP?

"I wouldn't say the wage gap is a myth, so much as it's misunderstood.  Women don't get paid less for the same work.  Like you said, the reality is more subtle than that."

Huh.  And here I thought I was just buzzed.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #355 on: April 09, 2016, 01:16:01 am »
Women often get paid less for the same work though.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #356 on: April 09, 2016, 01:19:11 am »
Women often get paid less for the same work though.

Citation?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #357 on: April 09, 2016, 01:24:00 am »
I was going to tell you to suck my hairy balls. I'm not fucking debating with you, you disingenuous hack and I'm completely fed up with your intellectual dishonesty but then I realised that you would claim that as a victory.

So here's one citation. It's about Australia. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-03/gender-pay-gap-among-managers-wa/7215784

You can still suck my balls though and you should probably apologise to Melen now

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #358 on: April 09, 2016, 01:32:49 am »
I was going to tell you to suck my hairy balls. I'm not fucking debating with you, you disingenuous hack and I'm completely fed up with your intellectual dishonesty but then I realised that you would claim that as a victory.

So here's one citation. It's about Australia. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-03/gender-pay-gap-among-managers-wa/7215784

You can still suck my balls though and you should probably apologise to Melen now

I have a quick question: does it take into account hours worked?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #359 on: April 09, 2016, 01:52:50 am »
Here we have UP engaging in more self-demonstrating Things People Say on the Internet.

Toxic misogyny always finds a way, it seems.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.