Author Topic: Mass shooting in a gay club in Florida  (Read 20977 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Mass shooting in a gay club in Florida
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2016, 02:25:21 am »
Despite their belief, I've seen that they're incredibly big-headed but in a fragile way - see Alex Jones and his agonizing over those fearsome brains that the dread Nerds possess. They fundamentally fear actual intelligence and research, and in that fear they craft scenario after scenario to best explain the fact it seems everyone has some answer except for them. They wring their hands over old prophecies and craft strange little alternate versions of reality because the existing reality is just too scary and disorganized for them - there could be no hand of god guiding this many strange events...but what if there was some overarching conspiracy? Then, for some reason, that would justify the continuation of their God vs. Devil ideology, and they see themselves as ALWAYS on the right side. That they're inherently right and virtuous and the only one who can see the "truth" before their eyes, while everyone else is either in on it or lulled by fluoride.

Its a quick slip and a drop from there into believing everyone else has been replaced by a doppelganger / reptile and things get really ugly after that.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Even Then

« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2016, 02:31:20 am »
"Hmm... this person is kneeling down to help an injured victim... of course! Their pose is a secret Freemason symbol! They're signalling 'false flag operation success' to their shadowy overlords! You've been foiled, I say! Foiled!"

Seriously though, if people want to think they're smarter than everyone in the room, fine. Whatever. Wear that tin foil, it doesn't really have a serious impact on my life. But dragging a grievous event like this into it when the victims probably haven't even been buried yet? They're trampling on the bodies of slaughtered innocents to make level ground for their self-absorbed soapboxes. They're pissing on the grief of those left behind, the horror of those who survived, because they want to pretend their lives have worth by deluding themselves of their own mental capacity. Fuck these people.

I realize I'm being very uncharitable. I don't really care.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2016, 03:09:45 am »
^Considering after Sandy Hook some Truthers were calling parents of the victims and to call them shills for the government and that their child never existed, I'd say it's reasonable not to be charitable.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2016, 03:23:37 am »
Yeah conspiracy theorists are prob more likely to cry "false flag" when they've got "skin in the game".

So to speak.

I'll go with this. I think gern ownership (not all, but a sizable number) and conspiracy theories tend to play on the same parts of people's minds: a distrust of the government, a desire to be more powerful and smarter than others in the room, and wanting to be bigger and more important than you are in the grand scheme of things. And very often, these individuals are the ones involved in mass shootings. We've become so number to mass shootings that while there are more mass shootings than days in a year, we only hear about them if they involve schools or a death toll that eclipses a dozen or if a brown skinned person is involved. When these shootings occur, it sparks a discourse about why such a thing happened, and how we can prevent it. These thin-skinned and ego-fragile conspiracy theorists then take the discussion as a sleight against them, and lash out with conspiracy theories and vitriol because they care more about their gerns than they do about human life and respect for those who are mourning.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2016, 05:00:58 am »
What's tragic is that they are taking out their fragile egos on people with very recent, very real post traumatic stress. I can't imagine anything more infuriating after just surviving being shot at by a crazy person than having a stalker crazy person with an agenda hassle me because they think I'm gonna steal their gerns.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2016, 05:34:29 pm »
I think another factor here is what I like to call Action Hero Syndrome. All these gun worshipers and conspiracy theorists are convinced that if THEY got attacked, then THEY'D be cool and save the day. Therefor, the lack of such reactions when actual shootings occur makes them assume it's fake.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2016, 11:36:13 pm »
I think another factor here is what I like to call Action Hero Syndrome. All these gun worshipers and conspiracy theorists are convinced that if THEY got attacked, then THEY'D be cool and save the day. Therefor, the lack of such reactions when actual shootings occur makes them assume it's fake.
It's actually what not a few conservative commentators actually say. It's the whole "I'd be John McClane" power fantasy.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2016, 11:43:25 pm »
It's actually what not a few conservative commentators actually say. It's the whole "I'd be John McClane" power fantasy.

Which ignores the entire point of the movie.  The film makes it abundantly clear that for all his cunning and determination, he's in over his head.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2016, 12:34:39 am »

This may be an intentional result of the gun manufacturers advertising campaigns and NRA agenda...

Actual training and studies on people's reaction in "active shooter" scenarios prove that without A LOT OF training the plucky Joe Everyman is likely to a) freeze and get himself shot. b) Shoot someone other than the mass murderer.

I mean if you hear gunshots and looking around you spot few people with guns who are also looking around you will hesitate. That gives the real killer an edge as they can shoot whoever they want but the police and wannabe-hero civilians have to make sure that their target really is the killer.

Running away from the scene is actually a more helpful answer as not only does that save your life it also makes it easier for the authorities to handle the situation. And yes, I know that there are occasions where civilians have stopped the gunman. The pro-gun lobby is very loud about these. I'm just thinking that these occasions seem to be rare and they never say how many of the victims were also carrying a gun but were unable to stop the killer.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2016, 03:33:37 am »
The fact is, some people did try to fight back. It didn't work.

It's called "taking a risk" for a reason, it might not work. Real life is not fantasy, sometimes the bad guy wins.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2016, 03:37:28 am »
Average NRA Goon: GOOD GUY WIF GUN STOPS BAD GUY WIF GUN! SHEWWIF NEVAH WOOSES!!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2016, 03:49:38 am »
"The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is another bad guy with a gun who coincidentally came to shoot up the same place." - Samantha Bee

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2016, 01:07:53 pm »
Remember when I talked about the recruiting problems in US military?

http://popularmilitary.com/sec-def-wants-civilians-laterally-entered-military-high-ranking-officers/

Now there is a lack of officers so someone suggested that they could start hiring civilians and giving them high officer ranks immediately... Not front line officers of course but getting some store manager to become a colonel in charge of a supply depot in continental USA would save a lot of money as their wage will be lower than that of a "regular" colonel and their pension will be really low too...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2016, 01:13:43 pm »
Remember when I talked about the recruiting problems in US military?

http://popularmilitary.com/sec-def-wants-civilians-laterally-entered-military-high-ranking-officers/

Now there is a lack of officers so someone suggested that they could start hiring civilians and giving them high officer ranks immediately... Not front line officers of course but getting some store manager to become a colonel in charge of a supply depot in continental USA would save a lot of money as their wage will be lower than that of a "regular" colonel and their pension will be really low too...

Why are you posting that here?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2016, 05:55:46 pm »
Someone explaining why the US failed to enact any sort of gun control in the wake of Orlando:

It's because the Democrat bills take a dump on the rights to due process and the Democrats said the other two Republican bills didn't do enough so they voted them down, so I guess they wanted all or nothing -- their loss.

BTW, automatic weapons (of which assault rifles are a type of) are already heavily restricted (by the NFA in 1936) and new sales banned (FOPA 1986).
It is already literally impossible to walk into a store and legally walk out with an automatic weapon/assault rifle in the United States.

Also, none of the proposals would have prevented the Orlando shooting, so the whole part of "we must act because of Orlando" is just trying to not let a crisis go to waste.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.