Author Topic: St. Louis Archbishop did not know sex with kids was a crime  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/religion/st-louis-archbishop-didnt-know-sex-children-was-crime-n127291

The St. Louis archbishop embroiled in a sexual abuse scandal testified last month that he didn’t know in the 1980s whether it was illegal for priests to have sex with children, according to a court deposition released Monday.

Archbishop Robert Carlson, who was chancellor of the Archdiocese of Minneapolis and St. Paul at the time, was deposed as part of a lawsuit against the Twin Cities archdiocese and the Diocese of Winona, Minnesota.

In a video released by the St. Paul law firm Jeff Anderson & Associates, the Catholic archbishop is asked whether he had known it was a crime for an adult to engage in sex with a child.

“I’m not sure whether I knew it was a crime or not,” Carlson responded. “I understand today it’s a crime.”

...Well.

...Uhhh... 

...Fuck.

Part of me wants to make a joke about this, simply to distract from how horrible the implications of that statement are.

Attorney Jeff Anderson, who is representing an alleged clergy abuse victim, also released documents Monday indicating Carlson was aware in 1984 of the seriousness of child abuse allegations. He wrote to then-Archbishop John Roach that parents of one of the alleged victims was planning to go to police.

Carlson’s role at the time was to investigate abuse claims. He admitted in his deposition that he never personally went to police, even when a a clergy member admitted to inappropriate behavior.

In last month’s testimony, Carlson responded 193 times that he did not recall abuse-related conversations from the 1980s to mid-1990s.

Anderson provided a report from a previous deposition in 1987 in which now-deceased Bishop Loras Watters said he advised Carlson to answer “I don’t remember” if questioned in court.

After I calmed down enough to read the rest of the article I have come to the conclusion that he is just lying in court trying and to defend himself by denying everything. Because if he at any point admits that he knows how badly he fucked up then he and the church will be in serious trouble. Not that this tactic would help him escape unscathed but if he ever admits any wrongdoings or even knowing about wrongdoings then the victims won't have to try so hard to prove the crimes.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: St. Louis Archbishop did not know sex with kids was a crime
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:43:40 pm »
That... that's probably the most threadbare excuse I've ever heard.  It's right up there with "I hired him to lift my luggage".

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:14:02 pm »
My dog ate my homework!

I left it in my other pants!

Ahheh fonly h'd *hic* two dwinksss...*BAAARRFFF*...

.....but "Evil Bishop Ernie" has topped them all with this one. Either he was raised under a rock on Mars or he's basically.........
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EpP9DPZ0Xo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EpP9DPZ0Xo</a>
Granted the tunes' not about a kid-fiddler but.........
NOTE: I've heard this song on oldies stations for years and never knew that the person singing was a guy. *derp*

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:15:51 pm by Barbarella »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 04:39:14 pm »
I'm...I just...wait...huh?

Ironbite-WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 05:38:30 pm »
"I'm not sure I knew whether it was a crime or not."

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 06:27:24 pm »
He doesn't have to remember anything for a crime to be committed.  If the the victims remember, that's mainly what it will take to put him away in a place that doesn't take to kindly to kiddie fiddlers.

As for the, "I didn't know that was a crime," excuse, he's S.O.L. on that because ignorantia juris non excusat applies here in the U.S.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:43:27 pm by Kat S. »

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 09:02:48 pm »
Holy shit...

I didn't know Nick Bate was an Archbishop.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 09:05:07 pm »
actually, this might be even worse. At least Bate doesn't have any real power. this guy does.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 01:04:01 am »
IF he at any point admits to any crime or knowing about any crime then it will be a confession that he AND the church helped cover up child molesting incident... At that point they will be fucked in court and lose millions or more...

By pretending to be an utter and complete idiot (and actually being a horrible person) he is protecting the church. They might still lose, but confession means certain loss. They won't gain anything by confessing (unless you consider doing the morally right thing to be worth anything. Their church apparently does not.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 10:49:49 am »
What is it with the Roman Catholic Church and kid-fiddlers?

And they're too stupid to learn from the last time that covering up junk only makes you look worse!

They should know that defrocking pedo-priests would put them in good standing in society, people would say, "This Church Is Good" and perhaps flock to it, again.

But no, they commit the same goof, over and over and over.......

It's almost like the Vatican approves and encourages this sort of thing...."Roman Pederasty For Jesus"!

A lot of the issues plaguing the RC Church could be solved in a few strokes.....

Priest Shortage (probably the reason they don't defrock 'Fr. Ernie Fiddleabout')? Make the Priesthood Celibacy-optional and allow women to be Priests! Those misogynist Pauline verses were later additions and forgeries! Women had Pastoral duties in the early church! There's no reason to bar women!

Be open to contraception & comprehensive sex-ed.

No more homophobia!

Be open to at least 1st Trimester abortions.

If if the changes are minor or compromises, it would do wonders to Roman Catholicism.

The RC Church is the perfect example of that saying, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 11:41:56 am »
Priest Shortage (probably the reason they don't defrock 'Fr. Ernie Fiddleabout')? Make the Priesthood Celibacy-optional and allow women to be Priests! Those misogynist Pauline verses were later additions and forgeries! Women had Pastoral duties in the early church! There's no reason to bar women!

Who do you think forged those verses?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 11:51:56 am »

I've been saying this for ages.  A lot of the more questionable stuff Paul supposedly wrote was almost certainly misattributed to him, because it doesn't match his writing style and is inconsistent with his views.  Honestly, it reminds me of the so-called "Franklin Prophecy" that portrays Benjamin Franklin as an anti-Semite.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 05:31:44 pm »

Yup. Well, it's biting them HARD on their cassock-clad butts!