Author Topic: Abstinence-only and bullying  (Read 11889 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Abstinence-only and bullying
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:00:54 am »
http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/01/03/did-abstinence-only-ideology-create-bully-generation

Not only is abstinence only education centered around falsehoods and lies. It turns out that it helps make bullies. This is how:

They rely on offensive, sexist stereotypes about men and women, boys and girls, as a foundational teaching tool and pass it off as "biology." They portray "real" boys as unable to control themselves, unemotional (particularly about sex), not interested in female desire or sexual satisfaction, not ultimately responsible for their own sexual feelings (which are portrayed as dependent on how girls chose to tempt them) and definitely heterosexual. Girls, on the other hand, are shown as controlling monitors of aggressive male sexuality.

They marginalize and stigmatize LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer) youth by teaching that sex between a woman and a man (obviously within traditional heterosexual marriage) is the only safe, healthy, "normal" behavior.

Lastly, abstinence-only programs teach kids to slut-shame and -blame, and send a victim-blaming message. The flip side of this equation for boys is that they aren't in control of themselves and can't be blamed if a girl "encourages" them. We sometimes call that as "boys being boys" and it's how we laughingly wave away a slippery slope of assaultive behaviour

They also straight up lie. Yet we've increased federal funding for these programs.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Abstinence-only and bullying
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:08:37 am »
One year my sex ed teacher said that anal sex was unnatural because "poop chutes weren't meant to be used that way."
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:09:48 am »
If they ever have us do a comic, I'm going to reproduce a copy of this:

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:36:51 pm »
"I do not see the meaning to this."

Sounds like what the student should be saying.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:05:40 pm »
One thing I've noticed about the final "an hero" drawing is that the bullet exited the kid's skull a bit too low.  With the way the gun is pointing, it should have come out around where the highest part of the brain-splatter is shown.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:12:18 pm »
The sad thing is that my school would have arranged a meeting with the counselor too. Not so much because of abstinence-only, but apparently violent themes are never appropriate or a laughing matter, unless it's for English class. Though they did have an abstinence speaker.

“Deep inside every man is a knight in shining armor, ready to rescue a maiden and slay a wicked dragon.  When a man feels trusted, he is free to be the strong, protecting man he longs to be.”

I don't care about that bitch, I'm here for Fafnir. Either he's gonna die or I'm gonna pop his black cherry. Possibly both.

At first I was skeptical, but frankly I think you're right. Why should I call that girl a whore? Oh it makes me a good Christian. Why should I call the gay kid a fag? Because gayness is evil! Why should I expose my kid to an abusive environment? Because abortion & divorce would make me a terrible excuse for a human being who threw away my worth & purity for nothing!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 11:08:19 pm »
Screw the maiden, I'd rather screw the dragon.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 11:15:35 pm »
Seriously! These Abstinence Only people say the COOLEST SHIT when you interpret it right. First I get to break into someone's home & pee on their coffee table, now I get to FUCK A DRAGON TO DEATH. Why do people have problems with this?!

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:20:15 am »
If they ever have us do a comic, I'm going to reproduce a copy of this:

Oh shit, win
/thread
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 06:47:09 am »
Seriously! These Abstinence Only people say the COOLEST SHIT when you interpret it right. First I get to break into someone's home & pee on their coffee table, now I get to FUCK A DRAGON TO DEATH. Why do people have problems with this?!

I think we have an idea for a new Metalocalypse episode.

I'm not so keen on the dragonfucking thing, but I'm definitely not alone in thinking the dragon would be the most awesome pet ever.  And maybe some wolves to keep him company while I'm gone.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:26:45 am »
Yeah, I'll take the dragon too.  Oh Bahamut~
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 01:12:42 pm »
Most dragons can shape change to a human form anyway. I'm down.
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 01:46:46 pm »
Depends on the universe really.  Some dragons can shape-shift and some can't.  It's all in the dragon.  But I really wouldn't want a dragon to shape-shift into a human.

Ironbite-not when there's so many sexier creatures out there.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 05:48:16 pm »
“Teens in both one-parent and remarried homes typically display more deviant behavior and commit more delinquent acts than do teens whose parents stayed married.  Studies show that two married, biological parents have the means and the motivation to appropriately monitor and discipline boys in ways that reduce the likelihood that they will pose a threat to the social order.”

(From that link the OP provided.)

Bullshit like this always makes me raeg. 1) I know plenty of people who come from single-parent or remarried homes who turned out perfectly fine. In fact, in some cases they're happier with their parents divorced. Better divorced and perhaps remarried than monogamous and miserable. 2) Boys are not fucking WMDs to society.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 06:43:15 pm »
They are WMDs to your vagina however.