Author Topic: Gay missionaries! From Finland!  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Gay missionaries! From Finland!
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:01:48 am »
Not what it sounds like.

These are not people who are preaching for "gayness" or anything like that, just a gay couple who have been chosen by a Finnish missionary organisation to be sent to Cambodia.

Naturally some christians do not agree that a gay person (or even worse two gay men living together!) could spread the word of Jesus.

When news about this broke the Vicar who was the head of the organisation made an official apology...

...To the couple, since this was not supposed to be made public untill the couple had given their permission for it but somehow the papers got word of it even before they have been blessed as missionaries. In fact the Vicar defended his choice by pointing out that even according to the laws of Finland the most competent person must be chosen to a job and that they cannot discriminate based on a persons sexual preference and that a persons family life is not something the employer needs to know. (Although they did obviously know about them being a samesex couple and simply did not think that this is a disqualifying factor.)

I can't seem to find an english version of the original story but here is one follow-up:
http://yle.fi/uutiset/hate_mail_sent_to_bishop_for_blessing_same-sex_missionary_couple/6673537
(No actual death threats, but several claims of her having lost her seat in heaven etc.)

Not that suprising, really. Another missionary organisation has already condmened this decision and this will presumable cause yet another fight inside the Finnish Lutheran church.

In the end this is yet another sign that many Finnish people and even Finnish christians are not the least bothered by gay people. We have an extremely loud minority but even in the church they are being outnumbered. Soon they will have to branch off from the main Lutheran church (or join the Catholic or the Orthodox church like some have already done.) if they wish to find a place where the gay are unwelcome.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Gay missionaries! From Finland!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:28:17 am »
Gay Missionaries from Finland sounds like a great sitcom. I'm glad to hear that the vicar apologized to the couple, if the others insist on continued opposition to the gays they are just digging a deeper grave for their church.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 03:04:02 pm »
Good to hear that the Finns are advancing.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 03:58:24 pm »
Gay Missionaries from Finland sounds like a great sitcom. I'm glad to hear that the vicar apologized to the couple, if the others insist on continued opposition to the gays they are just digging a deeper grave for their church.

Their church?

Actually... The church is moving more and more to becoming tolerant, female priests (I would use the term priestess because it is cool but for some reason people refuse to accept that term) transgender priests and blessing homosexual couples are all things that have been accepted by the Finnish Lutheran church.

In all these developments it is the intolerant fundies who have lost as the church is becoming more "liberal." (if that's the right term)

In fact the fundies have either been forced to move into other churches (or form their own branch inside the church which violates the codes and ethics of the church but still demands money and support from the main church...) if they have wanted to continue intolerance.

Certainly the progress is slow and many tolerant people are also abandoning the church (then again atheism is also on the increase so I don't know how many of them leave the church because of becoming an atheist and which still remain christians but just don't want to pay to a church that goes against their personal beliefs.) I'm still a member of the church and I'm hoping that rather than leaving it to the hands of fundies we'd leave it in "saner" or atleast more tolerant hands and make the church reflect the changes that have happened to the members and to the society in general.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 04:40:08 pm »
Yeah, "their church" was probably the wrong words to use.

Offline Crystal-King

• Neonate
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 08:33:27 pm »
Good for Finland.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 05:42:58 pm »
Some of my great-grandparents were Finnish immigrants, and I still have relatives in Finland. Good to know their homeland is heading in the right direction.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 10:37:20 pm »
If they could entirely do away with the practice of exploiting poverty as a means to evangelise, then I may give them some kudos. Until then, no.

Offline Arctic Knight

• Neonate
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 09:09:01 pm »
Gay Missionaries from Finland.  Sounds like a great band name.   "Tonight at Joe's Pub, at 7:00 pm, come hear the Gay Missionaries from Finland as they blow the roof off the place.  Opening act at 6:00 pm will be "Topless Lesbians Driving Trucks."
Congress is currently locked in a three-way tie for America's least trusted branch of government.