Author Topic: Bacon printer, motherf***er!  (Read 5381 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Bacon printer, motherf***er!
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:58 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20972018

When you buy some beef at the butcher's, you know it comes from cattle that once mooed and chewed.

But imagine if this cut of meat, just perfect for your Sunday dinner, had been made from scratch - without slaughtering any animal.

US start-up Modern Meadow believes it can do just that - by making artificial raw meat using a 3D bioprinter.

Peter Thiel, one of Silicon Valley's most prominent venture capitalists, Paypal co-founder and early Facebook investor, has just backed the company with $350,000 (£218,000).

Set up by father-son team Gabor and Andras Forgacs, the start-up wants to take 3D printing to a whole new level.

For three-dimensional printing, solid objects are made from a digital model. It's also known as additive manufacturing: to make the structure tiny droplets are "printed" - layer by layer - via a carefully controlled inkjet nozzle.
Meat without the slaugherhouse, but the power of science!
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Bacon printer, motherf***er!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:37:47 am »
Replicators, anyone?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 03:05:30 am »
Not really a replicator, as that converts energy into matter using the principles of the conservation of mass and energy. (If the collision of an atom of matter and antimatter obliterates both and releases their full potential of energy, then that amount of energy can be used to create an atom of matter.)

This would have to be refueled by the sum total of the matter that is used to create the bacon. On the positive side, this will surely be significantly more efficient than cattle farming.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:25:55 am »
This would be awesome!
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 05:26:37 am »
Push button, receive bacon. How could this not work?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:57:20 am »
Push button, receive bacon. How could this not work?

The government would ban it to protect the agriculture industry.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:27:51 am »
Well, these are printers we're talking about. You know, those machines that are about as reliable as a really unreliable thing. Just imagine you're waiting for a delicious steak to print, only for the damn thing to jam or just stop due to low ink (or the equivalent thereof). I tell you, it's infuriating enough as is, just imagine how bad it'll be when you need it to eat?

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:17 am »
Well, these are printers we're talking about. You know, those machines that are about as reliable as a really unreliable thing. Just imagine you're waiting for a delicious steak to print, only for the damn thing to jam or just stop due to low ink (or the equivalent thereof). I tell you, it's infuriating enough as is, just imagine how bad it'll be when you need it to eat?

Not to mention that the cartridges will be ridiculously expensive. A $2,500 cartridge prints you 20 pounds of meat. You attempt to print yourself one last chicken cutlet when the "ink" is low, and you end up with a smudgy, discolored and malformed lump of matter.

THE FUTURE IS HERE
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 10:11:58 am »
Yeah, printers are well-known to be kind of psychotic.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:13:15 pm »

I know, my printer freaks out when ever I have to print something and it pisses me off, I know that I would be cursing if my food stopped printing when I am hungry and want food.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 09:08:31 pm »
Sounds less like a replicator, and more like a protein resequencer from Enterprise.  However, that is still awesome as hell.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 12:48:00 pm »
New Chik Fil A cow advert -

Dey dook err derbs!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:51:02 pm »
New Chik Fil A cow advert -

Dey dook err derbs!

Modern Meadow Bowl sounds better than Chick-Fil-A Bowl to me!
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 02:28:56 am »
Man, if this works, it will be awesome. Like anything else, I think I'll wait until they smooth out the bugs first XD.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:19:57 am »
Man, if this works, it will be awesome. Like anything else, I think I'll wait until they smooth out the bugs first XD.

"This bacon tastes like... pygmy shrew?"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet