Author Topic: What are some religious phrases you hate?  (Read 71278 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: What are some religious phrases you hate?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2012, 04:57:29 pm »
Any variation on the theme of "Atheists just reject God as an excuse to live a life of debauchery"
Σא

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 05:09:51 pm »
I find anyone who claims to essentially know the mind of god and therefore able to speak on god's behalf annoying. If you accept that god does exist then it is an entity that created the entire universe, knows its past, present, and future in minute detail, and can change it at will. I'm willing to bet you can't describe how every system in your car works and interacts with one another, and this is so many orders of magnitude above that level of understanding it is literally unimaginable. But I'm supposed to believe you when you say this latest disaster in some far off place is because god hates fags or atheists or something.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 05:22:01 pm »
There's this book in the library called "The Truth of Homosexuality"

In reality, it's just more conservative propaganda, but the title infuriates me.

It shouldn't be allowed to be called "The Truth" if it is, in fact, nothing but lies.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2012, 05:49:24 pm »
To off Zachski, when fundies claim you are oppressing truth when you present facts against their claims. They also say "You're labeling truth as hate speech".  ::)

Yeah I saw NARTH book at the public library too.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2012, 06:44:30 pm »
Any variation on the theme of "Atheists just reject God as an excuse to live a life of debauchery"

This, as well as 'you just deny god/choose not to believe because it's EASIER!'

Right, because in most societies there is NOTHING easier, more socially acceptable, more popular, or a better way to make a lasting good impression on people than to hold a different (bonus points for being controversial) belief and opposing opinions from the norm. Nothin' better than being a non-believer among fundies or homosexual among straight people. And it doesn't drive up the depression and suicide rates, either. Nope. Everybody makes big decisions like this because they're much easier to live with!

(Edited for excessive Sentence Structure Fail on my part.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:47:39 pm by Caitshidhe »
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 06:50:06 pm »
Once I was at a local Mexican restaurant and I picked up a tract from a pile called "Evolution and Christianity." It starts out promisingly enough, and it even got the definition of the theory of evolution right. Later on, it even conceded that creationism is science, not faith, and should not and cannot be proven. For a second, I was hopeful that maybe this wouldn't be so bad. I was wrong. The next part said this:

Q. What is meant by calling evolution a theory? What is a theory?

The simplest definition is that a theory is an unproven idea that is intended to explain something. For example, we all observe light, yet has anyone ever been able to explain exactly what light is?

Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2012, 06:53:53 pm »
Anything that has to do with women.  Often it is wrong and outdated and sometimes just...dangerous.

Ironbite-really dangerous.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2012, 07:46:20 pm »

Similarly, any variation on the theme of "Pagans are just pretending to worship those gods so they can eat babies/have massive orgies/act out Harry Potter and call it a religion!!"

I shouldn't have to explain what's wrong with that.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »
Q. What is meant by calling evolution a theory? What is a theory?

The simplest definition is that a theory is an unproven idea that is intended to explain something. For example, we all observe light, yet has anyone ever been able to explain exactly what light is?

Oh, for the love of—!

I’m usually not the smacking type, but someone deserves a severe smack upside the head. I just don’t know what tool to use.
-A Pen Name

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 08:30:12 pm »
Well, to be fair, light is confusing. I mean, is it a wave? Is it a particle? This is all too much for fundie minds.

ON a more serious note, given how often fundies are behind the times scientifically, maybe they really don't know anything more than that about light.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 09:09:22 pm »
Found a new one: "If Evolution is true, why help the poor?"

The logic of that statement...just kills my brain.

I think they're confusing evolution with natural selection/survival of the fittest. Which is all kinds of wrong.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 09:20:28 pm »

I think they're confusing evolution with natural selection/survival of the fittest. Which is all kinds of wrong.

Even so, they clearly don’t even know what survival of the fittest means. Whoever came up with the term “Social Darwinism” shoulda gotten a smack upside the head, too. With a jackhammer.
-A Pen Name

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »

Even so, they clearly don’t even know what survival of the fittest means. Whoever came up with the term “Social Darwinism” shoulda gotten a smack upside the head, too. With a jackhammer.

If Social Darwinism lived up to its name, it would actually encourage caring for and protecting other members of the community so that the population remains stable and healthy.

It's just its common usage that means Fuck-You-Type Randroidism.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 10:12:01 pm »

Oh I hate those ones.  Any one trying to read my mind or tell me what I'm thinking PISSES ME OFF.  A lot of people do it, but Christians are the worst offenders.

In reality, it's just more conservative propaganda, but the title infuriates me.

It shouldn't be allowed to be called "The Truth" if it is, in fact, nothing but lies.

"Truth" is just another word like to throw around, as if using it will make it more true.  Thing is, their "truth" is never good news, it's always doom and gloom. 

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2012, 12:13:12 am »

"Truth" is just another word like to throw around, as if using it will make it more true.  Thing is, their "truth" is never good news, it's always doom and gloom.