Author Topic: State Of the Union  (Read 13000 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: State Of the Union
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2013, 05:24:41 pm »
Let's talk about something substantive. Do you think it is immoral for the government to break the law in the public interest?

Again it depends on the situation but sometimes I think it is necessary for goverment to break the law to serve the public interest.  You can never foresee every situation when writing a law.

Any law?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2013, 08:23:56 pm »
Let's talk about something substantive. Do you think it is immoral for the government to break the law in the public interest?

Again it depends on the situation but sometimes I think it is necessary for goverment to break the law to serve the public interest.  You can never foresee every situation when writing a law.

Any law?

Most likely.  For just about any law a person can think of a reason it would make sense to break it.  Laws are not perfect if for no other reason than the people that write them are not perfect.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2013, 08:51:09 pm »
I'll ask again: do you think it is moral for the government to break any law if it argues that doing so serves the public interest? If there are exceptions, give them in full.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2013, 08:58:11 pm »
I'll ask again: do you think it is moral for the government to break any law if it argues that doing so serves the public interest? If there are exceptions, give them in full.

He just answered you. Back off.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2013, 09:01:42 pm »
I have two problems with his current response: firstly, that I feel he's largely ignored the substantive point (morality) in order to hammer on nonsense again (can it be done). Also, he's said that he considers some exceptions to be acceptable, but hasn't enumerated them. I want a list. I also want to talk about substance, not nonsense.

-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2013, 09:15:20 pm »
No.

He answered your question.  In full.  On the other hand, you've been very, very selectively ignoring many many things, from many people here.

Back off.  I've had enough of you intentionally misinterpreting other people's posts, and taking them out of context, to suit your own agenda.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2013, 09:28:13 pm »
I have two problems with his current response: firstly, that I feel he's largely ignored the substantive point (morality) in order to hammer on nonsense again (can it be done). Also, he's said that he considers some exceptions to be acceptable, but hasn't enumerated them. I want a list. I also want to talk about substance, not nonsense.

You specifically asked m52 if he believed it was immoral for the government to break the law in the public interest?

m52 responded that when evaluating the morality of such an action, it must be taken on a case-by-case basis (hence his comment about exceptions). When he wrote that it can be "necessary" to break the law in some situations, he was speaking of not just practical necessity, but moral necessity, because the debate assumes that the practical and moral purpose of government is to protect its citizens. This is an unquestionably valid response.

You then asked specifically if the government could break "any law" in the interest of protecting the public. While this is arguably just a rephrasing of the original question, m52 answered it anyway, saying that it was "most likely" that for each law there would be "reasons why it would make sense to break it." In other words, it is most likely true that for every law there is a hypothetical situation where it is more moral to break the law than to follow it.

I find nothing wrong with m52's responses, but I would ask you to please reevaluate your reading comprehension.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2013, 09:45:20 pm »
Okay, I'll modify my question:

Do you think it is moral for the government to break any law if it argues that doing so serves the public interest? If there are exceptions, give them in full. Also, if there are any conditions under which laws should not be broken (where the government argues that doing so is in the public interest) give them in full, or a reasonable summary (three would do, I think).

-FDR

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2013, 09:59:36 pm »
STOP ASKING THE SAME QUESTION DIFFERENT WAYS!

Ironbite-jesus christ.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2013, 10:00:59 pm »

Do you think it is moral for the government to break any law if it argues that doing so serves the public interest? If there are exceptions, give them in full. Also, if there are any conditions under which laws should not be broken (where the government argues that doing so is in the public interest) give them in full, or a reasonable summary (three would do, I think).

You are simply restating the same question because you don't like m52's answer. Knock it off and move on.

Also, you can't possibly expect someone to list every single law and think of a situation where it is moral to break it. Be reasonable and specific.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2013, 10:17:52 pm »

Again it depends on the situation.  The actual situation and not just what the government says.  So you could have a case where it seems like there is a moral justification but as more information comes out that justifications goes away.

In a country like the US where the people pick the leaders there has to exist some type of trust in those leader to make such calls and give the people know as much information as they can.

As for you requests for lists you will have to narrow it down to a specific set of laws or situations.  Even then it will be hard to make any set in stone rules.  Welcome to the world, nothing is black and white.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2013, 10:33:01 am »
Fred, you're going somewhere with your line of questioning. You've been here too long for most of us not to realize that. So let me ask you this. What law are you thinking of where there would be no moral reason to ever break regardless of any hypothetical circumstances?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.