Author Topic: Another Shooting. This Is Getting RIDICULOUS!  (Read 12234 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Another Shooting. This Is Getting RIDICULOUS!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 11:11:18 am »
So are you saying Christians need to step their murder game up?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 11:43:53 am »
He's just frustrated that he cannot figure out how to build a Middle East-glassing nuke out of the rocks, fish bones, tin cans and bits of string he sleeps upon under the FQA bridge.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 12:02:43 pm »
TheContrarian needs to "eat a gun".  :P

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 12:20:46 pm »
Are all atheists communists?  Are all Germanic pagans racists?  Are all Christians misogynists?

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 12:50:45 pm »
Are all atheists communists?  Are all Germanic pagans racists?  Are all Christians misogynists?

Are no muslims scotsmen?

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 01:18:07 pm »
Troll, I see you ran out of rocks to eat under our bridge. I'd cite "false equivalence" to you, but one can't expect a rock eater to know there is a difference between apples and oranges.

Yes.  Obviously.

A small group of violent lunatics in one country is scarcely an adequate comparison for a global tidal wave of religious savagery.

It does beg the question, however, as to why liberals are so enraged by the former while going out of their way to ignore or excuse the latter.

Doesn't fit the dishonest narrative they're peddling, I guess.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 01:30:38 pm »
Troll, I see you ran out of rocks to eat under our bridge. I'd cite "false equivalence" to you, but one can't expect a rock eater to know there is a difference between apples and oranges.

Yes.  Obviously.

A small group of violent lunatics in one country is scarcely an adequate comparison for a global tidal wave of religious savagery.

It does beg the question, however, as to why liberals are so enraged by the former while going out of their way to ignore or excuse the latter.

There are about a billion Muslims in the world.  Is every single one of them a brutal religious fanatic?  Chances are, for every Muslim you could name who fits that description, I could name ten who don't.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 01:36:17 pm »

Yes.  Obviously.

There are about a billion Muslims in the world.  Is every single one of them a brutal religious fanatic?  Chances are, for every Muslim you could name who fits that description, I could name ten who don't.

I'm sure.

But if your 10:1 ratio holds throughout the population you still have an army of over a hundred million homicidal fanatics...

But more to the point, if you think that the actions of a minority of violent lunatics dispersed throughout the larger population don't demand some form of sanctions applied to the entire population...then why all this talk of gun control and removing the confederate flag from everywhere?  Surely you can't be claiming that every gun owner and everyone who flies the flag is a ticking time bomb ready to go off and commit deadly hatecrimes?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 03:56:35 pm »

Yes.  Obviously.

I'm sure.

But if your 10:1 ratio holds throughout the population you still have an army of over a hundred million homicidal fanatics...

But more to the point, if you think that the actions of a minority of violent lunatics dispersed throughout the larger population don't demand some form of sanctions applied to the entire population...then why all this talk of gun control and removing the confederate flag from everywhere?  Surely you can't be claiming that every gun owner and everyone who flies the flag is a ticking time bomb ready to go off and commit deadly hatecrimes?

People tend to care more about things that are close to home, for a mixture of good and bad reasons. Good reasons include that if the people in your neighbourhood/state/country are shooting each other, you have a comparative advantage in trying to stop them (for example, by pushing for different laws, since you share a government).

(bad reasons are various, mostly availability bias and ingroup bias)

If Muslims were killing people at that same rate in America, I imagine the average American would care a lot more.

(also, trying to pin it on religion as opposed to, say, local conditions up to and including living in a warzone is kind of disingenuous)
Σא

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 04:20:49 pm »
I remember reading a news report stating the guy who did the church shooting wasn't even supposed to have a gun either, but her got one thanks to a clerk error.  So it comes down to not creating more gun laws but actually enforcing the ones we have.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 06:04:11 pm »
What really struck me in TheContrarian's long list of "Muslim" deaths is how many of them had one of two phrases attached: "ISIS" or "Boko Haram". Most of the rest said Taliban. As Boko Haram is essentially West African ISIS, even going so far as to swear fealty to ISIS, you're basically saying "ISIS killed a lot of people", which is a surprise to absolutely no one, which the United States is already doing something about, and which is hardly representative of the Muslim faith. If you're going to equate ISIS with Islam, can I then equate Uganda with Christianity? Can I equate the Soviet Union under Stalin with atheism? Can I equate Israel with Judaism*?

*: No, not all Jews support Israel's actions. In fact, a great many do not. So, no, you really can't equate Israel with Judaism.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 06:19:59 pm »
Oh, you mean the Aussie gun laws that don't work?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-18/opinion/chi-the-failure-of-gun-control-in-australia-20130118_1_gun-control-mandatory-gun-gun-deaths

But I am in favor of stricter background checks.

Worked very well thankyou. Gun homicides and in particular gun suicides are way down since the mid 80s when we started adopting gun controls.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 06:40:46 pm »

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-18/opinion/chi-the-failure-of-gun-control-in-australia-20130118_1_gun-control-mandatory-gun-gun-deaths

Worked very well thankyou. Gun homicides and in particular gun suicides are way down since the mid 80s when we started adopting gun controls.

Your own government's statistics tell a different story.  According to the New South Wales Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research, there was no significant decline in gun-related crimes after the 1996 buyback.  In fact, gun crime is actually on the rise in Queensland.

http://www.news.com.au/national/gun-crime-in-queensland-on-the-rise-despite-firearms-amnesty/story-e6frfkp9-1226645545149#ixzz2Uc8x9Y3M

Meanwhile, American gun homicide rates have decreased by almost half since 1993.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 09:51:56 pm »

Yes.  Obviously.

I'm sure.

Do you think other ethnic groups should be blamed for the actions of a few members during a war? Perhaps you think all Europeans are genocidal maniacs - after all, Hitler was a European.

Or perhaps this is silly contrarian racism.

Your own government's statistics tell a different story.  According to the New South Wales Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research, there was no significant decline in gun-related crimes after the 1996 buyback.  In fact, gun crime is actually on the rise in Queensland.

http://www.news.com.au/national/gun-crime-in-queensland-on-the-rise-despite-firearms-amnesty/story-e6frfkp9-1226645545149#ixzz2Uc8x9Y3M

Meanwhile, American gun homicide rates have decreased by almost half since 1993.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

It's clearest in gun suicide figures. Suicide by firearm has plummeted since the 80s (gun control legislaton started in the 80s, not 1996).

(Edit: oops, forgot to add my cite: https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2010/192/8/suicide-australia-meta-analysis-rates-and-methods-suicide-between-1988-and-2007)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:54:37 pm by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 10:08:25 pm »
<snip>
I don't know if you noticed, but the topic of this thread is potential gun control in America. Some fundamentalist Mulsim loonies in Africa and the Middle East has sweet fuck all to do with anything in this thread.

If you want to discuss this sort of thing, start a new thread rather than clogging up unrelated topics.