Author Topic: Fat Acceptance Movement  (Read 14249 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Fat Acceptance Movement
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2014, 05:09:27 am »
God speed.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2014, 10:09:49 pm »
in other words, if you care about this enough to make a fool of yourself, you could probably stand to take a look at your life and figure out why you got angry about this and not about taxes.

Please enlighten us, Guizonde. What are the things we're supposed to worry about?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2014, 10:10:57 pm »
I missed that line.

Isn't "There are more important things to worry about" a logical fallacy?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2014, 10:16:32 pm »
That would be the fallacy of relative privation.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2014, 10:47:37 pm »
That would be the fallacy of relative privation.

really? didn't know about that one. ok, it's here.

oh, and not my aim at all (well, the wiki example at least).

tl; dr: a direct confrontation will get you nowhere, so do this movement sneaky-style.

disclaimer: my opinion, you probably don't share my socio-economic status (i'm a recent grad looking for employment in europe). ie, take all i say with a grain of salt.
(click to show/hide)

i don't hold all the answers, but i'm not gonna troll. i might as well help along. for now, i'll sleep on it.

oh, and ironchew, the things you're supposed to worry about is how to make the movement effective, if you hold this cause dear. if you don't, there are plenty of windmills (here is a good place to start), but in between those are problems that affect the entire world, and not just a relative minority (anti-vaxxers, corrupt politicians, wars, climate change, the rising cost of wheat,... pick your favorite) 

i apologize in advance if my tone is perceived as snide or flippant. it's not meant to be

edit: i just totally saw the wiki entry for first world problem linked... it is litterally a first world problem, but without the shame factor associated with saying it...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:49:59 pm by Guizonde »
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2014, 11:22:36 pm »
I suppose I should clarify. I sympathize with a few of the aims of the body positivity movement (being obese myself, and society loves to bully fat people and belittle the challenges we face when we attempt to lose weight), but I don't necessarily agree with every fringe offshoot of it.

it all boils down to getting your order of importance straightened out. would society accepting different body shapes be cool? totally. before that, however, seeing as this movement will get massive resistance from your average joe ("but fat is icky!!" types), it might be easier to angle it from another direction: for example, rather than protesting and doing big walks, it might be better to start sensitization campaigns. stay hidden and plant the seeds in the shadows.

I strongly disagree. I cannot think of a single movement that has made any significant gains without firebrands. The firebrands are there to be in your face and force the public to at least confront the issue while the accommodationalists educate them further.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2014, 06:14:21 am »
I suppose I should clarify. I sympathize with a few of the aims of the body positivity movement (being obese myself, and society loves to bully fat people and belittle the challenges we face when we attempt to lose weight), but I don't necessarily agree with every fringe offshoot of it.

it all boils down to getting your order of importance straightened out. would society accepting different body shapes be cool? totally. before that, however, seeing as this movement will get massive resistance from your average joe ("but fat is icky!!" types), it might be easier to angle it from another direction: for example, rather than protesting and doing big walks, it might be better to start sensitization campaigns. stay hidden and plant the seeds in the shadows.

I strongly disagree. I cannot think of a single movement that has made any significant gains without firebrands. The firebrands are there to be in your face and force the public to at least confront the issue while the accommodationalists educate them further.

if you think screaming and sneaking are two sides of the same coin, fair enough, and i agree to a certain extent. it's two different tactics, although the sneaky way did have some success, mostly in the learned circles. the Lumière movement had philosophical firebrands, but it took the rest of the world decades before they realized that suddenly, the enlightened were the majority. it's also the way lobbies function, even though i'm not a partisan of those tactics either.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2014, 07:31:23 am »
I'm 5'7", 112 lbs, white, male, straight, cis, American (specifically from Georgia), of above average intelligence, socially progressive, fiscally conservative, and atheist. Everyone can hate me!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:20:07 pm by Svata »
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2014, 08:34:33 am »
I'm 6'4", muscular, healthy, mostly white, ambidextrous, straight, cis, upper-middle class, American, neurotypical, radical centrist, progressive protestant, of above-average intelligence, an avid rock climber, brown-eyed, black-haired, and hairy.  But I think I might have Latino and Amerindian ancestry somewhere.