Author Topic: 3-D Printed MOON BASE!  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
3-D Printed MOON BASE!
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:12:04 pm »
A few seconds ago I asked of 3-D printers "Is there anything this fucking technology can't do?" The answer to that is, apparently, "No."

http://planetsave.com/2013/02/03/building-a-moon-base-how-about-3d-printing-it-instead/
But now, this rapid 3D printing technology — which relies on design software-controlled lasers — is poise to enter the ‘next gen’ Space Age by helping to fulfill the dream of establishing a permanent lunar colony.

It’s all in the draft stage right now, but it may just be the most practical, scalable, fastest and affordable way to “install” a lunar base during future moon missions.

Printing a Moon Base from Moon Dust

The European Space Agency (ESA), along with a private sector partner, is investigating the practicality of constructing a lunar base using only 3D printing technology — and using only moon dust as the building material.

“Terrestrial 3D printing technology has produced entire structures. Our industrial team investigated if it could similarly be employed to build a lunar habitat.” said Laurent Pambaguian, who heads the project for ESA, in a press statement.

The ESA team has partnered with a London-based architectural firm — Foster + Partners — to draft concepts for a 3D-printed lunar base  [See more photos of the planned 3D-printed moon base ].

The architectural firm has extensive experience designing habitats for extreme terrestrial climates with emphasis on using local, sustainable building materials. So, teaming up with ESA for this project seems a natural extension of that experience

As currently conceived, the Foster + Partners design concept is for a four-person moon base made completely of repurposed “moon dirt” referred to as regolith.

This repurposing of local (moon) materials eliminates the prohibitive cost of transporting large quantities of building materials from the Earth to the moon. A mobile, robotic printer would build up the base as it maneuvers over an inflatable dome used as a temporary scaffolding.

My geek penis is so hard right now.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: 3-D Printed MOON BASE!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 06:17:08 pm »
Yes, 3D printing should have it's own thread...but the incredibly affordable and do-able-almost-right-now idea of a 3D printer being rocketed to Mars (why stop at the Moon?) to set up shop within a rover and print up a rock solid, habitable base is braingasm awesome!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.