Author Topic: 300 million y/o artifacts?  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
300 million y/o artifacts?
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:21:30 pm »
http://beforeitsnews.com/beyond-science/2013/01/300-million-year-old-machinery-found-in-russia-experts-say-aluminum-gear-not-the-result-of-natural-forces-may-be-extraterrestrial-2440610.html?fb_action_ids=10151354754278329

The Voice of Russia and other Russian sources are reporting that a 300 million year old piece of aluminum machinery has been found in Vladivostok. Experts say a gear rail appears to be manufactured and not the result of natural forces.

According to Yulia Zamanskaya, when a resident of Vladivostok was lighting the fire during a cold winter evening, he found a rail-shaped metal detail which was pressed in one of the pieces of coal that the man used to heat his home. Mesmerized by his discovery, the responsible citizen decided to seek help from the scientists of Primorye region. After the metal object was studied by the leading experts the man was shocked to learn about the assumed age of his discovery. The metal detail was supposedly 300 million years old and yet the scientists suggest that it was not created by nature but was rather manufactured by someone. The question of who might have made an aluminum gear in the dawn of time remains unanswered.

First off, I am incredibly skeptical of this because 1) this is the kind of thing CNN would be all over for ratings, and 2) the cited links in the article only reference other pages on the same web site. That, and I came across this info from an FB friend who routinely posts the crazier side of libertarianism (gun laws are stupid, gov't is evil, GMOs cause cancer, vaccines are bad, Jesus good but religion bad, etc.), so I'm automatically inclined to doubt it.

The article contains a few images of gears, pots, and simple tools that, to be perfectly honest, look rather primitive, though I'm no expert on archaeology, and thus cannot estimate a possible date of their fabrication. I doubt, however, that any of the things shown are more than a couple thousand years old tops. Impressive, but hardly "these things may have touched dinosaurs".
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: 300 million y/o artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 03:16:15 pm »

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:35:43 pm »
The first question that comes to mind is, how did they determine its age?

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:37:15 pm »
According to the article, they dated the material (mostly coal) that the objects were found in. Nothing was mentioned about dating the objects themselves.

It's hard to see where the problem with this method might be.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:47:54 pm »
Placed under magnification, the artifact displays the imprint "Made in China."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 07:20:21 pm »
Considering the amount of heat and pressure - along with immense amounts of time - it takes for coal to form from fossil vegetative detritus and such, the likelihood of anything made of so soft a material as aluminum remaining intact is just impossible.

However, should a crevasse open, during an earthquake, when the phenomenom of liquifaction occurs,  into the crust all the way between the surface and a coal seam, it could be possible for a human artifact to fall into the coal seam, and be compacted at relatively low pressure into that seam once the crevasse collapses.

If the depicted object really is made of aluminum, keep in mind that aluminum smelting is a very recent development in terms of human metalurgical technololgy. The aluminum pyrimdic cap on top of the Washington Monument was breath takingly expensive to make back in the 19th century - more valuable than solid gold, in fact.

So, back to the "gear gets into a coal seam", well, how about a more likely scenario? At a coal mining raw processing plant, in modern era Russia, a bit of equipment breaks and falls into a huge mass of just-ground coal, the gear and w/e sifts down to the bottom of that pile of coal, gets forgotton for a couple of decades, because they always top up the coal pile without bothering to scrape down to the last dregs, and over that time, moisture and pressure and the acidic nature of coal cause the gear bits to be cemented into the coal. Then one day, they finally scrape up that last very bottom layer of coal, and it gets sold, unnoticed within the order, to the Russian citizen who discovers - an ancient alien artifact! wow!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:49:25 pm »
Something similar happened in 1912. In particular, note #3.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 07:19:37 pm »
Considering the amount of heat and pressure - along with immense amounts of time - it takes for coal to form from fossil vegetative detritus and such, the likelihood of anything made of so soft a material as aluminum remaining intact is just impossible.

However, should a crevasse open, during an earthquake, when the phenomenom of liquifaction occurs,  into the crust all the way between the surface and a coal seam, it could be possible for a human artifact to fall into the coal seam, and be compacted at relatively low pressure into that seam once the crevasse collapses.

If the depicted object really is made of aluminum, keep in mind that aluminum smelting is a very recent development in terms of human metalurgical technololgy. The aluminum pyrimdic cap on top of the Washington Monument was breath takingly expensive to make back in the 19th century - more valuable than solid gold, in fact.

So, back to the "gear gets into a coal seam", well, how about a more likely scenario? At a coal mining raw processing plant, in modern era Russia, a bit of equipment breaks and falls into a huge mass of just-ground coal, the gear and w/e sifts down to the bottom of that pile of coal, gets forgotton for a couple of decades, because they always top up the coal pile without bothering to scrape down to the last dregs, and over that time, moisture and pressure and the acidic nature of coal cause the gear bits to be cemented into the coal. Then one day, they finally scrape up that last very bottom layer of coal, and it gets sold, unnoticed within the order, to the Russian citizen who discovers - an ancient alien artifact! wow!

Sure, spoil all the fun with your science and stuff.  :'(

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »
According to the article, they dated the material (mostly coal) that the objects were found in. Nothing was mentioned about dating the objects themselves.

It's hard to see where the problem with this method might be.

Time to go bury myself in the sand and then demand that people date the deepest layer of the beach I'm found in to figure out my TRUE AGE.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Atheism Exposed

• Neonate
  • Eternally Saved
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 11:35:52 am »

Indeed.  The Scientific Establishment has a long history of hilariously inflated ages for objects.
Visit my Youtube channel for more videos and information :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9YnqI2le1uwXxWwQ6w

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 11:40:52 am »

Indeed.  The Scientific Establishment has a long history of hilariously inflated ages for objects.
Oh, I like you already :D

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 11:45:25 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRMBxnxWiNQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRMBxnxWiNQ</a>

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 11:49:56 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRMBxnxWiNQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRMBxnxWiNQ</a>
Now now, Random, is that any way to treat our guest? We don't need to chase him off too soon.