Author Topic: Kaepernick Protest: Football and Tackling Racism  (Read 5944 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Kaepernick Protest: Football and Tackling Racism
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 12:30:18 pm »
I wouldn't even say blind nationalism, Queen. No more than everyone standing up in church equals booing religious devotion. At the game you're sitting there drinking your beer or whatever and look around to see everyone standing up so you get up too. Not for love of country but because you see everyone else doing it and want to fit in.
BTW, as a veteran of anyone wishes to remain seated during the United States national anthem, I won't be offended.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 01:37:39 pm »
And that's the fucking thing.  Everyone is getting all pissed off and saying "Oh well if he's doing this he's disrespecting veterans" or some variation.  Then a hashtag surfaced called #VetsforKaep or something and it was just Vets saying how much they supported Kaepernick and what he was doing.

Ironbite-its people being pissed off that a black man is using his right to protest to actually protest.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 04:38:06 pm »
I think the racist aspect of the backlash is targeted less at Kaepernick as an African American - although his race does certainly amplify it - but it's mostly a reaction to him doing this to support BLM. The racist element of the population is defending the structural racism BLM is fighting against and would have attacked a white man doing what Kaepernick does almost as furiously. This is combined with the authoritarian deference to the police as an institution and the nationalistic fetishization of the national anthem, the flag and the military institution. Not worshiping one of the parts of that holy trinity means you insult all the parts and are a despicable heretic.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 06:04:23 pm »
Something to scare you all.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 07:16:31 pm »
BECAUSE FOOTBALL IS IMPORTANT!

...Seriously, this is a dude that runs around with a ball for a fucking living.  He runs around.  With a ball.  Playing a game with his friends and coworkers.  The NFL is basically a televised company softball match.  Yet, somehow, it is apparently the most god damned important thing on the planet.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 08:33:57 pm »

...Seriously, this is a dude that runs around with a ball for a fucking living.  He runs around.  With a ball.  Playing a game with his friends and coworkers.  The NFL is basically a televised company softball match.  Yet, somehow, it is apparently the most god damned important thing on the planet.
But don't you realise? As prominent members of the community, they have a responsibility to set a good example, particularly to children.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 08:56:50 pm »
Fuck the children.  They're too busy playing the latest CoD to even get the Cheeto stains off their faces, I doubt they can get their useless asses up from their consoles long enough to walk to the living room and watch several hours of increasingly homoerotic ball-handling.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2016, 09:36:49 pm »

But don't you realise? As prominent members of the community, they have a responsibility to set a good example, particularly to children.

And yet, convicted rapist Darren Sharper is still being considered for admission into the NFL Hall of Fame...
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 09:40:02 pm »

And yet, convicted rapist Darren Sharper is still being considered for admission into the NFL Hall of Fame...

Pfft, we all know she actually wanted it.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 12:05:38 am »
Look he may be a rapist but at least he stands for the national Anthem. He probably even is prepared to sign the loyalty pledge required to get dinner.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 08:49:32 am »
Or make the blood sacrifice to Ch'thon to summon the Loghorrean get a seat with a back.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 12:15:51 pm »
http://thefederalist.com/2016/10/12/government-colin-kaepernick-anti-patriotism/

I'd say if you have The Federalist angry at you and calling for this, you have done something right.

Though I gotta say, that website is fast going from a conservative news site to little more than a sieg heil belching rag that I wouldn't be surprised to see run a piece saying "In Defense of Neo-Nazis".

The fact they set the article up to be a take that at "college trigger warnings" and such makes the article doubly malign, because they're floating the idea and then using it in an attempt to make a case for the same FREEZE PEACH that our own Ultie raged about time and again. They seem to see a conflict of positions only they can see, and are trying to use it to make their own increasingly far right case.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:20:56 pm by niam2023 »
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer