Author Topic: Drug Testing Child Support Recipients proposed in Iowa  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Drug Testing Child Support Recipients proposed in Iowa
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:05:09 am »
By a republican, of course.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/04/13/464033/iowa-gop-drug-test-child-support/

measures are not enough. During debate over Iowa’s budget, state Sen. Mark Chelgren (R) proposed that people who receive child support payments also be forced to submit to drug tests on the whims of the person making the payments:
The proposal came from Sen. Mark Chelgren, R-Ottumwa who said he was pushing the idea on behalf of an unidentified constituent who believed his ex was using child support money for illegal drugs.
A person paying child support under Chelgren’s proposal could require the recipient to a drug test every six months as long as they pay the costs.

To reiterate

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/13/iowa-republican-proposes-drug-testing-for-child-support-recipients/
Studies have shown that people on public assistance are statistically less likely to use drugs than the general population. In Indiana, where one such mandatory testing law was enacted, only 1 percent of public assistance applicants tested positive for drug use.

One public opinion poll in Georgia, where a similar law is before the state legislature, showed that while 64 percent of the population supports drug testing for welfare recipients, 79 percent of those surveyed support drug testing for politicians, judges and other elected officials. 64 percent of respondents supprot testing for CEOs of companies that receive government money.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Drug Testing Child Support Recipients proposed in Iowa
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:16:05 am »
So basically if you have a dick of an ex-husband who is paying for his kids...he can just go and tell you get a drug test or he won't pay?  And can do this every time?

Ironbite-wow...what an invasion of privacy.

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:47:21 am »
Meh, just add the cost of the piss-test to the child support ol' hubby already pays. Maybe losing even more of their paycheck to indulge their dickish behavior might curb it a little.

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:34:29 pm »
What seems strange to me about this proposal is that even if the custodial parent fails the piss test, that doesn't mean child support will stop.  It just means the custody of the child might change hands, depending on how CPS decides things.  Right?  I mean, maybe it's a last ditch effort to get custody of the child that is behind this.  Otherwise, if the child doesn't go to the parent making the payments, that paying parent will still be paying -- just to whoever has custody of the child now.  Seems ... weird.  To say the least.  I don't get the true motivation behind it.

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 04:17:42 pm »
I don't get the true motivation behind it.

Fucking over the ex.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 06:50:44 pm »
I don't get the true motivation behind it.

Fucking over the ex.

It's meant to be inconvenient and embarrassing to the recipient so that they'll back out of asking for child support. Kind of like anti-abortion laws. :P
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 07:58:21 pm »
GOP 2012
Women Are Whores!
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 08:30:49 pm »
GOP 2012
Women Are Whores!

And the best part, it fits on a bumper sticker  :-\

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:32 pm »
GOP 2012
Women Are Whores!

And the best part, it fits on a bumper sticker  :-\
That's the idea!
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!