Author Topic: Living in a box IRL  (Read 2859 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Living in a box IRL
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:28:11 pm »

Construction on Exceptional Green Living on Rosa Parks, a 20-unit multifamily housing project composed of 93 retired shipping containers stacked four-high atop each other, will commence early next year in midtown Detroit. There’s not exactly a ton of particulars available on the $3.4 million container-to-condo project yet — a project first proposed in 2008 but shelved when the estate market tanked — but the Detroit Free Press and a handful of other news outlets have recently published articles on the begging-for-an-acronym project with a few key details and some words from Leslie Horn, CEO of developer Three Squared.

Designed by Detroit-based architect Steven Flum, Exceptional Green Living on Rosa Parks will be erected on a lot near Wayne University at Warren Avenue and Rosa Parks Boulevard. Additionally, a three-story sales center with dual model units will break ground mid-next month on Michigan Avenue, west of downtown Detroit. Prices for the condos — they’ll range in size from 850 to 1,920 square feet — have not yet been calculated, although Horn says the units in the 26,000-square-foot complex will sell for about 5 percent less than condos of a comparable size. According to Multi-Housing News, the units will be outfitted with ductless heating and air systems, tankless water heaters, and other energy-saving features that will help owners drive down energy costs by up to 80 percent.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sq8VDXlWQk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sq8VDXlWQk</a>

This is actually patented, patent 4854094:

Method comprises mounting at least one standard steel shipping container on a weight-bearing foundation at the ends thereof. Where two or more containers are used, the containers may be in spaced and/or abutting side-by-side relationship; and/or may be mounted one upon another. Where containers are mounted side-by-side, portions of the inner sidewalls are removed leaving at least narrow flanges extending inwardly from the edges thereof. A roof is installed over the top walls of the containers; a raised floor is installed over the bottom walls of the containers enclosing flanges that extend inwardly from the bottom walls; and a dropped ceiling is installed under the top walls of the containers enclosing flanges that extend inwardly from the top walls. At least one window opening and one door opening are provided in the side and end walls, and a window and a door are installed therein. The invention includes the novel product of the method.

Now with MOAR harmful chemicals because the containers are from China (chromate, phosphorous, lead-based paints, arsenic and chromium). Includes no insulation.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Agni

• Bishop
  • Prōcrāstinātorum Prōcrāstinātricumque Rex
Re: Living in a box IRL
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:35:46 pm »
This idea is pretty cool and artsy, but  is it safe...?

Offline starseeker

• God
Re: Living in a box IRL
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:12:36 pm »
Think there's a hotel near here that was built out of old shipping containers with a brick facade.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*