Author Topic: Developing Web Applications  (Read 1861 times)

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
Developing Web Applications
« on: September 16, 2012, 03:27:56 am »
So tonight, I was going to start re-learning Java, but then I talked to a friend who knows more about this stuff than I do and he recommended that if my long-term goal was to put up a web page with apps on it, I should learn PHP, Javascript and MySQL instead.

After struggling with Aptana Studio 3 for a bit, I came to a realization: I don't want to build a webpage. All I want to do is make a game, a very simple one, not even graphical (though I may want to make it graphic in the future just for the sake of aesthetics), to be hosted on a webpage. What programming language should I learn for that?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:35:42 am by TigerHunter »

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Re: Developing Web Applications
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 07:13:04 am »
Any language that works with html will do. Off the top of my head: perl, python, ruby, and php. Any of those would work, and I'm sure there's others that I've left out.

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »
Another person I asked said that I could use Java. Is that true?

Offline SimSim

• The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 01:57:02 pm »
Yeah, forgot to include that in the list.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:01:29 pm »
You could, but since Java is an interpreted language, I'd use something else. Granted, I can't see it mattering if the game you're making is that simple, but still. It's always good to learn a new language, especially something like PHP which has other practical uses.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Distind

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:20:35 pm »
Just about anything could work. I know there's a web framework for java out there, I'm blanking on the name of it. I think Eclipse supports it natively, as well as it does anything anyway. Python could be a good language to learn in terms of game programming, but I'm not sure of a python based web framework(so you'd be hosed showing anyone your work).

I'm not terribly familiar with much else, but I will point out that visual studio has an express edition and a relatively simple web forms set, or the MVC tools which are a bit better set for true web applications. With your choice of C#, Visual Basic or possibly even C++ available as languages. I can walk you through some of the basics if you give me an idea of what you're trying to do.

That said, web hosting for .net is expensive by comparison to others. But I've got a crap ton of space and could setup an application folder for you under fstdt should you use it and get anywhere that you want to share.

Offline SimSim

• The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 04:27:49 pm »
With mod_python installed in an Apache server you can deploy a web based application. I think you can do it with CGI too.

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:04:56 pm »
Thanks everyone.