Author Topic: Internet Names  (Read 24181 times)

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
Re: Internet Names
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 03:12:19 am »
I have no imagination.

Me neither.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 03:30:20 am »
Depends... which one do you want? I have roughly 30 of them.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 05:04:50 am »
A stall chaser is a type of poi move.  These are some stall chaser variations: (because I doubt many people know what it is)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjLhfJb9QZw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjLhfJb9QZw</a>

Not me, btw.

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 10:31:41 am »
My first ever screen name was JerJerrod, after this dude from Return of the Jedi who greeted Vader to the Death Star. I only used it a little bit as I didn't use the internet much then. I later used the last names of two characters that I had drawn and used in a (crappy) short story; first the villain's, who died in it, then the hero's, which has now actually become my last name.

That lasted until almost 5 years ago when I realised I was a girl, whereupon I then decided to use my screen name to test out girl names on myself, to see how well I would identify with them. I quickly latched onto Oriet, which was a middle/last name of a great aunt (I think; the relation might have been a little more distant, and it might have been spelt Oreit), and I found very quickly that I love it, and it has become my middle name (I always liked the idea of being called by my middle name by friends, but didn't like my birth name). I've also used MadamOriet as a variant of it.

I've also used sanjahime, which is what I finally decided on as my first name appended with the Japanese word for princess (I was/am such a weeaboo), though interestingly if the 'j' is not pronounced like a 'y' (as the name is German) it actually means "three shrine princess", such as from Sanja Matsuri.

The other one that I've used is Robyn Locksley, the name I used for a hunter in the game Ragnarok Online. As should be obvious it's a feminisation of Robin of Locksley, better known as Robin Hood, which I found appropriate since hunters use bows and arrows.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 10:38:16 am »
A stall chaser is a type of poi move.  These are some stall chaser variations: (because I doubt many people know what it is)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjLhfJb9QZw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjLhfJb9QZw</a>

Not me, btw.

Really?  I thought it was like, a reference/mocking of Larry Craig, what with his gay bathroom sex.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 11:19:23 am »

Priestling
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 03:16:32 pm »
Started using the name on the mainpage. I figured that if the name was connected to any other of my internet identities, it could potentially lead to unwanted conflict if it turned out some of the people I interacted with on other boards were more sympathetic to the people being quoted. So I wanted to start over with anonymity. And I picked a name that reflected that.
-A Pen Name

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 04:34:25 pm »
Sigma is the first letter of my name in Greek. "The Aleph" is a short story by Jorge Luis Borges.

I used to go by Current, but I changed it. (Some would tell you it was because I was tired of people thinking "Current is currently here" is clever wordplay)

So, would things that happen to you be Current events?  Or have you already heard that one aleph-null times?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »
Or have you already heard that one aleph-null times?
No, I'm pretty sure it was an uncountable infinity.
Σא

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 10:53:36 pm »

Priestling

Fair enough.  It was back when I really delved into the older civilizations, and Egypt really grabbed my brain.  Combine that with reading Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods', and Anubis just really appealed to me to the point I was looking around for any possible information about old rituals that they used to do, and I basically got so far into it that I thought myself a would-be initiate of those old, lost ways.  Thus, a priestling.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 03:06:32 am »
The name came out of a time when my life had pretty much fallen apart around me. My fiancee left me, I wasn't making enough money to both make rent and eat more than a couple of times a week, I had to quit school, my car died... all regional shit hit my fan at about the same time, like it had a laser-guidance system in it or something. So there was about a year when I did nothing but feel sorry for myself and try to get back on my feet, and my analysis of the timeline for recovery included the prospect of "maybe never".

As someone else once commented, "Perhaps you should start going by 'Everything Turned Out Okay!'" 'Cause it basically did. But I kept the name because it is easy to make jokes with it.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 03:44:25 am »
Really?  I thought it was like, a reference/mocking of Larry Craig, what with his gay bathroom sex.

[rant about minority group of people I dislike taking away my rights by existing]

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 04:10:34 pm »
Yla originated when I was in a phase of making Fantasy-flavoured Age of Empires II maps. Princess Yla was the new name of the Joan of Arc unit (there's not a lot of choice in AoE for female knights/heroines). It was just a typical Fantasy-sounding name, and the map in question was never finished. Except I subsequently used it as a screenname in multiplayer games, sort-of-roleplaying as the army of that shortlived character, and it went from there.
I also used another name in the past (Nemeter), which has a practically identical genesis, and replaced Yla for a while, but then I actually started to write a novel about her, and I thought it no longer appropriate to use.

Both my screennames are female, take of that what you will. :D
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 11:39:23 pm »
The name I use here has a couple of reasons.  I'm a theme park and architecture fan, so I chose the name of the observation tower at Six Flags Great America(my home park) when I joined an architecture forum.  I used the name again when I joined TGWTG(That Guy With the Glasses), as it is an appropriate "geeky" name, even though I myself don't like Star Trek(where I assume the ride's name came from), and again here out of laziness. 

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 11:11:02 am »
For the last 14 years or so I have been working as a facilitator/troubleshooter/problem solver in the defence industry in the UK and the US. At times I have had to be quite, er, forceful in getting my solutions implemented, the defence biz being ultra conservative. A colleague commented that I had sorted out a particular problem along the lines of "that's what Jack Bauer would have done!" - so I appropriated the name. My two other internet persona are Wolfie and Sniper800 - but they are another story!
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.