Author Topic: "Religious Freedom" lovin' conservatives block mosque in Virginia  (Read 6250 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Virginia’s Culpeper County who voted in favor of an anti an anti-LGBTQ bill to protect "religious freedom" recently voted to block the construction of a mosque.

This month, Virginia’s Culpeper County provided the latest instance of anti-Muslim “religious liberty” hypocrisy. The county’s state representatives recently voted in favor of an anti-LGBTQ bill that purported to protect religious freedom. Yet in April, the county’s Board of Supervisors voted to prevent a Muslim group from building a mosque on an abandoned lot. The roughly 20 Muslims, who currently lack a proper prayer space, asked for a sewage system permit to begin cleaning up the area before constructing their mosque. Board members’ explanation—that the requested system could only be used in emergencies—is almost certainly pretext: In the last two decades, the board has granted 19 such sewage system permits, and rejected only one.

No, no religious liberty means no cakes for gay married couples, it doesn't mean you muzzies have the right to worship or shit. Sincerely, Culpeper County.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: "Religious Freedom" lovin' conservatives block mosque in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:19:35 pm »
Obviously. Everyone knows that "religion" means Christianity (and none of that damn Papist Catholic heresy!).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 09:35:33 pm »
Yeah I tend to avoid Culpepper on a regular basis on principle.

Ironbite-something about the foothills that just....makes me think of banjos.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 10:01:26 pm »
And inbreeding. Those hills have family trees that most resemble tumble weeds.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 10:04:07 pm »
The hills have eyes <runs>
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 11:01:31 pm »
I'm not sure, but I think this might be grounds for a lawsuit.

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 10:56:14 am »
"Religious freedom" meaning the freedom for conservative Christians to discriminate? Heh

Here in Canada, our old Conservative government established an office of religious freedom. But they claimed to be for small government. Riiiiiight
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 10:07:15 am »
I'm not sure, but I think this might be grounds for a lawsuit.

Yeah I was thinking couldn't this technically constitute government infringing on freedom to practice religion or something?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 10:46:37 am »
Seeing as the way the fundies in USA understand "freedom of religion goes a bit like this:

"You see, the laws say "freedom of religion" not "freedom from religion" and it means that religion is protected from the government, that is why you goddamn atheists can't prevent good Christians from practicing their religion."

...To explain this bullshit they are going to have to claim that Islam isn't a religion and that only Christianity counts as a religion, or something like that.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 11:15:42 am »
Seeing as the way the fundies in USA understand "freedom of religion goes a bit like this:

"You see, the laws say "freedom of religion" not "freedom from religion" and it means that religion is protected from the government, that is why you goddamn atheists can't prevent good Christians from practicing their religion."

...To explain this bullshit they are going to have to claim that Islam isn't a religion and that only Christianity counts as a religion, or something like that.

They do claim Islam is not a religion. All the time. They claim it is a political ideology.
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 12:56:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've heard people argue that fredom of religion means you can choose which kind of Christian you want to be.
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 12:58:57 pm »
You obviously don't live in America.

Ironbite-you Brazilian Admin!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 01:06:00 pm »
I don't, but the people who said that did...

it is generally unwise to mistake Argentinians and Brazilians for each other. Fortunately for you, I am the least nationalistic person alive
Σא

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 07:08:38 am »

I'm pretty sure I've heard people argue that fredom of religion means you can choose which kind of Christian you want to be.
Is this from the same sort of people that say that "Catholic" and "Mormon" are separate religions from "Christian" or have I had my mind warped by too many Chick Tracts?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 10:17:52 pm »

Is this from the same sort of people that say that "Catholic" and "Mormon" are separate religions from "Christian" or have I had my mind warped by too many Chick Tracts?

i mean, probably.
Σא