Author Topic: Ask FQA!  (Read 23404 times)

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Ask FQA!
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2015, 03:12:08 pm »
So...Naval Special Warfare want's me to join them should I?

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2015, 03:31:44 pm »
Do you want a military career? Are you okay with the major risks that accompany it? From what I've read, any SWCC position is very specialized and requires extreme duration under stress, more than average.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2015, 03:42:40 pm »
Looks like every job in Navy SW is gonna be extra pay for extra hazardous duty. Or, if they are now including drone ops, that would be also high stress, but not mortally risky as bomb disposal, rescue diver, SEAL, etc.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2015, 03:46:30 pm »
I wouldn't mind a military career since I've contemplated it for a while since I'm not at school and I don't have a job, I'm just not sure If I should Join Naval Special Warfare.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2015, 03:50:28 pm »
I wouldn't mind a military career since I've contemplated it for a while since I'm not at school and I don't have a job, I'm just not sure If I should Join Naval Special Warfare.

go artillery. follow in napoleon's footsteps. take over the world.

or you know, do what you want. so long as you lead the life you wanna lead.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2015, 10:30:48 am »
Question: Do the schools in your country teach religions as a subject?

I don't mean using bible in science classes or something, is "religion(s)" a separate subject in your schools?

I am asking this due to a certain debate on the net and the fact that Finnish schools do have religion classes.

(Small part of it is simply teaches students about the religions of the world and the history of those religions but the majority of the studies is preserved for teaching the religion of the students. Lutheran Christian for most kids but if there are enough students from any particular religion to form a group they will be taught about their own religion. Or if there are like, 2 muslims, Jewish kid, 2 Orthodox and 5 atheists they will get another study which will be about general religions and views on life rather than being forced to go the Lutheran studies.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2015, 10:34:03 am »

I don't mean using bible in science classes or something, is "religion(s)" a separate subject in your schools?

I am asking this due to a certain debate on the net and the fact that Finnish schools do have religion classes.

(Small part of it is simply teaches students about the religions of the world and the history of those religions but the majority of the studies is preserved for teaching the religion of the students. Lutheran Christian for most kids but if there are enough students from any particular religion to form a group they will be taught about their own religion. Or if there are like, 2 muslims, Jewish kid, 2 Orthodox and 5 atheists they will get another study which will be about general religions and views on life rather than being forced to go the Lutheran studies.)

not in french public schools. some private ones do (mainly catholic schools, though), and in my bachelor's i had to study religion (as well as my english litterature degree). canonical law is explained in law school (maybe it counts), but to really understand religion in france, either go private or wait until university to learn about it. unless of course you put your kids through catechism, the sunday school equivalent.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2015, 11:56:16 am »

In my pre-college schooling, religion was only mentioned within a historical context. During my world history classes, we would learn about various cultures and their religions so we had a better understanding of their lifestyle. During US history classes, we did not learn about Christianity or anything like that. We did read a couple bible stories in a literature class, but they were treated like any other mythology. So no, we didn't have a separate class specifically for learning about religion.

However, we do have religious classes available in college since religious studies is a major now. Some students go into those classes expecting them to be a Christian bible study class, which is exactly what they are NOT. Lots of people whine about the professors not catering to their One True Belief System.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2015, 12:06:43 pm »

In my pre-college schooling, religion was only mentioned within a historical context. During my world history classes, we would learn about various cultures and their religions so we had a better understanding of their lifestyle. During US history classes, we did not learn about Christianity or anything like that. We did read a couple bible stories in a literature class, but they were treated like any other mythology. So no, we didn't have a separate class specifically for learning about religion.

However, we do have religious classes available in college since religious studies is a major now. Some students go into those classes expecting them to be a Christian bible study class, which is exactly what they are NOT. Lots of people whine about the professors not catering to their One True Belief System.

Yeah, there were a couple folks like that in my religious studies class.  The professor gave them a good dressing-down, and the dean sided with her.

Even Then

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2015, 12:07:56 pm »
From what I remember, our religion studies were just "Christianity, christianity, here's everything from christianity's point of view, oh I guess this other shit exists as well". Which I get, since Finland's a church state, but still.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2015, 01:10:09 pm »
I went to a Catholic grade and middle school. But in high school (public) world religions was an elective. Aside from the couple butt hurt baptists,it was a very good class.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2015, 01:25:44 pm »
I thought we had more about the other religions but only one of the courses is about world religions and everything else is Christianity.

...Unless you get that separate class for non-Lutherans that is.

Anyway, I originally was reminded about these classes being a rare thing when a guy mentioned that the benefit of these classes is that we know a lot more about the history of Christianity than the average fundie from USA since despite being Christianity classes aimed at Christians the education is diverse and has stuff about history and how Christianity has evolved during the centuries.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

pyro

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2015, 11:16:06 pm »
College has religious classes, none required, mostly only studied to fill in humanities requirements or by people who want to make a career out of it. I haven't taken any and don't plan on it.

All I remember from high school was an after-school Bible study group, no actual religious classes, but they might've had some that I never looked at.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2015, 10:49:11 pm »
What's with the "black people like grape soda" stereotype?  I mean, at least the fried chicken and watermelon thing has some basis in reality (Southern blacks taking Dixie's cuisine with them during the Great Migration).  But when it comes to grape soda, I'm stumped.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2015, 08:35:46 am »
In all fairness, grape soda is awesome.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.