Author Topic: Even Steven Hawking can't understand them  (Read 11439 times)

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
Re: Even Steven Hawking can't understand them
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 09:19:07 pm »
...why should anybody care that Stephen Hawking doesn't understand women? He answered a question as much in an interview, fine, but how is it so newsworthy as to merit an article all on its own?

To expand on Vene's post, the issue with physics and gender equality starts in secondary school or perhaps the first year of undergraduate education (or perhaps even earlier), because women are choosing not matriculate in physics at their undergraduate institution. High school women take the AP tests and pass at lower rates. Why few women are choosing physics, I do not know.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 09:29:09 pm »
Folks, chill. OK?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 12:43:32 pm »
I kind of wonder, do men really have a harder time understanding women, or do they just blame typical human conflicts, which they could also have with other men, on the woman's female-ness?

Maybe with a dash of expectation of conflict based on gender.

But really, there's not a lot to get.  Men and women are both ruled by instincts, social mores, and expectations.  I see them as animals, observed their drives, and now I find them both pretty predictable.   

From what I can tell, however, one of the most touched-upon tropes is that men want to have as much sex with as many women as they can, and women want to try to avoid being a throw-away screw.  So female 'head games' are really an attempt to find out if a man is planning to boink-and-run, which means he'd be a waste of her time, or if he's actually potential long-term material.

And I think that's true.  Just from what I've experienced and observed, women (in western culture) are indoctrinated with the idea that most men just want to sleep with them and then move on, and that they'll lie and manipulate to achieve that goal.   And because of that, a lot of young females are either afraid to trust male peers, or they adopt that same casual promiscuity as an emotional self-defense.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 01:19:56 pm »

http://www.xkcd.com/799/

Seriously, the guy's just a physicist, not an avatar of wisdom.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 03:01:54 pm »
I really don't see what's so hard about understanding women. Perhaps if you ask and let them  talk and listen (and don't try to talk over them) you would be to understand them.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »
I really don't see what's so hard about understanding women. Perhaps if you ask and let them  talk and listen (and don't try to talk over them) you would be to understand them.
Leave it to a gay guy to have reasonable advice about women. *huffs and walks off*
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 07:41:15 pm »
Please, if that doesn't work for guys, why should it work for women?

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 09:17:48 pm »

The only problem with this suggestion is that it's too specific. This is how one understands people, not just women. But it's not as simple as just hearing what's said and thinking about it. People communicate in many ways, sometimes without realizing they are doing it. Listening, really listening, considering what's being said, what's being shown, and what isn't being shared, takes effort.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 10:56:02 am »
More effort than most people seem to be willing to make.
And I have a hard time with when the average person has nothing intelligent to say.
I find it easier to tune out their opinion about cars or celebrities or the thing growing on their aunt's forehead and just watch their movements.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 11:18:31 am »
I find that I learn more about a person through non-verbal cues. Body language, tone of voice, facial expression and so on can provide a wealth of information if you pay close enough attention.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 12:57:06 am »
Lately I've been having this nagging feeling that most communication is shallow & meaningless.

Or maybe I just need to move out of the Bellefonte area.

deadpandoubter

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 01:27:25 am »
People in general are confusing yet simple. Most of the time, expect them to want something out of you; the trick is figuring out what they really want via mind reading.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 02:24:54 am »
I get sick of the "women are so mysterious" stereotype. There isn't one gender that's noticeably more confusing. People vary so much that what's true for one is going to be the exact opposite for another. You learn and deal with it as best you can.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 03:03:42 am »
I don't understand other men half the time.

Like... why be proud of being strong and stupid?  Why be proud of being able to benchpress 50 pounds if you can't even divide 50 by 10?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 01:13:46 pm »
I don't understand other men half the time.

Like... why be proud of being strong and stupid?  Why be proud of being able to benchpress 50 pounds if you can't even divide 50 by 10?
Okay, now I don't understand you. Why does inability to to basic arithmetic invalidate the achievement of being able to benchpress 22.6 kilograms?
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.