Author Topic: Even Steven Hawking can't understand them  (Read 11505 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Even Steven Hawking can't understand them
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:36:12 pm »
LONDON (Reuters) - The biggest mystery in the universe perplexing one of the world's best known scientists is -- women.

When New Scientist magazine asked "Brief History of Time" author Stephen Hawking what he thinks about most, the Cambridge University professor renowned for unravelling some of the most complex questions in modern physics answered: "Women. They are a complete mystery."

http://news.yahoo.com/women-mystery-british-physicist-hawking-135814776.html

I guess us males are fucked if even our smartest males can't understand women.  lol Maybe one day we will....maybe....
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: Even Steven Hawking can't understand them
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:42:25 pm »
To be fair, Hawking probably doesn't have all that much experience with women beyond a professional or platonic level. By no means is that meant to be a slight against him.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 01:44:05 pm »
Why are we expecting a physicist to be an expert on women? Ask a psychologist or behavioral biologist if you want a relevant answer.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 06:51:25 pm »
Women. They're made of star stuff.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:53:15 pm by Shane for Wax »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
Stephen Hawking: "Women are a mystery."
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 06:54:17 pm »
I know, I know, BAD CAIT, PANDERING TO OUTDATED SEXIST STEREOTYPES! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!

And I will be, right after I'm done laughing. Because, according to Stephen Hawking, one of the most respected scientists in the world, 'They (women) are a complete mystery.'

Which means there's basically no hope for you ordinary guys out there wondering how best to understand those of us of the female persuasion. You're better off just studying string theory, it'll be less complicated.

(Goes outside to be shot for thinking this is funny.)
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline GLaDOS

• Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System
  • Bishop
Re: Stephen Hawking: "Women are a mystery."
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 06:57:09 pm »
I know, I know, BAD CAIT, PANDERING TO OUTDATED SEXIST STEREOTYPES! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!

And I will be, right after I'm done laughing. Because, according to Stephen Hawking, one of the most respected scientists in the world, 'They (women) are a complete mystery.'

Which means there's basically no hope for you ordinary guys out there wondering how best to understand those of us of the female persuasion. You're better off just studying string theory, it'll be less complicated.

(Goes outside to be shot for thinking this is funny.)
I think it's funny, but because it shows how deep the gender disconnect goes when one of the most brilliant people alive can't understand people of the opposite sex.
Space? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
How are you holding up? Because I'm a POTATO.
Silence will fall.
For fuck's sake, please keep my fucks given levels balanced.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 07:03:46 pm »
I guess it just goes to show that, no matter how smart you are in one area, others will confound you forever.

Not that women make it very easy to be figured out--at least in my experience, and I think I'm entitled to have an opinion on the matter since I AM one.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 07:18:14 pm »
People in general are complex and difficult to understand in any case. We defy simple descriptions, and this grows exponentially more difficult with each degree of separation. Race, gender, nationality, generation... in any case, I don't look to scientists for an understanding of women, or anyone else, as people, only as organisms. For anything else, I might look to philosophers, artists, or Barry White, who was both.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 07:27:09 pm »
Merged the two topics. Sorry for making Cait's post look weird.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 07:33:10 pm »
I'm going to expand upon my previous post and comment how there is still quite a bit of sexism within the sciences. Physics has a rather unkind male to female ratio, which only makes things worse. This study puts it at ~4 men to every 1 woman. For comparison; chemistry is 44% women, geology 27%, and biology 57%. But, physics is still better than engineering, which as a whole, is only 16% women.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 08:18:41 pm »
I don't understand women. But I also don't understand men. And I'm still having trouble understanding wave physics. So I think Hawking has me beat, the bastard.
Σא

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 04:50:43 am »
To be fair, Hawking probably doesn't have all that much experience with women beyond a professional or platonic level. By no means is that meant to be a slight against him.

Well, he's managed two marriages, with three children including a daughter, so he's obviously had some experience.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Tigger_the_Wing

• Hell's Granny on a GoldWing
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 05:37:25 am »
I do see the funny side, but it won't stay funny for long.

What got me irritated is that, just like some fundies lump all atheists together as if there is only one kind of atheist, and some atheists make generalisations about religious believers, Hawking makes a throwaway remark that can be interpreted as implying that he thinks that women are a homogenous group and, of course, all the misogynists in the world are going to say "SEE! Even the brightest mind on the planet can't understand them! Women are all mysterious! We shouldn't trust them!"

"Women are mysterious" is (and has been for a long time) code for "Do not trust women!" and "Do not give women any responsibility!" and "Don't believe/promote/employ any women!"

The idea that someone, let alone a whole demographic, can be dismissed as 'mysterious' on the grounds of their perceived gender (or their race, age… ) rather than being approached as the individual they are, just seriously annoys me.  >:(

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 05:51:41 am »
Why are we expecting a physicist to be an expert on women? Ask a psychologist or behavioral biologist if you want a relevant answer.
Took the words right out of my mouth (yes, I know Hawking was most likely taking the piss).

Napoleon the Clown

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 06:08:03 am »
Women are a lot like men. There's very little to "get" about their overall nature. There's a lot of irrational, illogical behavior and thought-patterns. Men are the same way. Most people have something they're insecure about. Hence the worry over fat content of body found in both sexes. Or hair. Or fucking anything.

And I agree with Vene. Do not ask a physicist about psychology. It is not the field of interest, generally speaking. Though there are physicists that are very knowledgeable about psychology... Along with the reverse. Hawking is not among them, however.