Author Topic: Kidnapped for Christ  (Read 10810 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Kidnapped for Christ
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »
Except that's not what was said. Examining and denouncing extremists is fine. Denying that they're Christians at all so all the "good" Christians aren't associated with them is a fallacy.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2014, 02:51:27 am »
Except that's not what was said. Examining and denouncing extremists is fine. Denying that they're Christians at all so all the "good" Christians aren't associated with them is a fallacy.

Which inevitably happens BY the other Christian sects.  "Oh, they're not REAL Christians, they don't do x, y and z if they're really following the word of god"

Eugh... just remembering that was said to my face by a former friend leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Y'know, never mind that Catholics are always considered a cult and some Christians believe they should be wiped out (I've even heard the term 'exterminated' thrown around) for 'corrupting' their belief system, until the numbers need to be bolstered.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 03:11:14 am »

Which inevitably happens BY the other Christian sects.  "Oh, they're not REAL Christians, they don't do x, y and z if they're really following the word of god"

Eugh... just remembering that was said to my face by a former friend leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Y'know, never mind that Catholics are always considered a cult and some Christians believe they should be wiped out (I've even heard the term 'exterminated' thrown around) for 'corrupting' their belief system, until the numbers need to be bolstered.

The most insane part of the last thing is that for the longest time, the Catholic church was just "The Church". They had a monopoly on Christianity.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 10:44:23 am »

The most insane part of the last thing is that for the longest time, the Catholic church was just "The Church". They had a monopoly on Christianity.

Not exactly. The Eastern Orthodox churches have been around for quite a while too, and their version of the story is that the Catholics actually split off from them.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2014, 11:03:56 am »
I was just saying that the behavior in the video goes WAY beyond even the asshole Christians and into the realms of Heaven's Gate and Al Queda.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2014, 11:45:47 am »

Not exactly. The Eastern Orthodox churches have been around for quite a while too, and their version of the story is that the Catholics actually split off from them.

Technically true. The split occured anywhere between 800 and 1054 a.d from memory. It's also a huge theological debate that lasts to this day. It boils down to something called the filioque controversy which was the last straw and separated the two churches. Why did they differ so much? My guess is time. Be it Rome or Avignon for the papal seat or Constantinople, it took time and a big distance to stay in contact. The different creeds changed by custom. Just to be clear, orthodoxy (a belief or a way of thinking that is accepted as true or correct, according to Webster) holds its name due to this and does predate the Catholic church.

If you're curious about this, be sure to check out the history of Byzantium, most sources and books are either written in english, german, or turkish. It was a pain for my classmates to study that subject in France, where few books have been translated.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2014, 02:50:08 pm »
There are also a number of "Oriental Orthodox" churches including the Coptics, the Armenians, and the Assyrian Church of the East that split even earlier, as I recall.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 03:25:25 pm »
There are also a number of "Oriental Orthodox" churches including the Coptics, the Armenians, and the Assyrian Church of the East that split even earlier, as I recall.

yeah, the orthodox church is composed of different patriarchates. The four big ones are: Constantinople, Alexandria, Jerusalem, and Antioch, although by a technicality, Rome is a patriarchate as well. it's not really a split, it's called an autocephalic organization. This is a big word to say that each patriarch governs his parish as he pleases so long as orthodoxy is maintained.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯