Author Topic: TV Shows  (Read 139822 times)

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
Re: TV Shows
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2013, 05:15:20 pm »
For some reason, I'm reluctant to watch a lot of anime anymore. I don't know why. It might be that some are only in Japanese and I have to read subtitles over horrible, cacophonous voices, or I can't access any, or just the whole stigma of being a fan of a such medium and having my parents walk in while watching one.

I'm skipping shows like Magi Puella Madoka Magicka and Attack on Titan (the two shows that are really popular with Tumblr's userbase), for two different reasons:
  • I fear Madoka Magicka is going to be depressing as hell (judging from how many spoilers I've been hit with on accident).
  • The following of Attack on Titan is starting to bug the hell out of me, I don't know why.
  • And both, they're only in Japanese.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2013, 06:37:21 pm »
I can't stand most anime. Last time I tried watching some of the more popular stuff, a friend suggested One Piece. two episodes in and I wanted to put my fist through the monitor.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2013, 07:17:08 pm »
Re-watching X-Files. Seasons 1-5 are the bomb, a shame the story arc went off the rails after that.

plus after that, when Duchovny left, it really went down the tubes.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2013, 08:59:27 pm »
I can't stand most anime. Last time I tried watching some of the more popular stuff, a friend suggested One Piece. two episodes in and I wanted to put my fist through the monitor.

To be fair, I'm an anime fan and I actually turn my TV off when One Piece airs.

I really don't get why people like it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2013, 09:36:36 pm »
Re-watching X-Files. Seasons 1-5 are the bomb, a shame the story arc went off the rails after that.

Yes!  I couldn't agree with that more.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2013, 11:00:44 pm »

To be fair, I'm an anime fan and I actually turn my TV off when One Piece airs.

I really don't get why people like it.

Huh, that actually my favorite anime. It's really grand and over the top, it can be goofy or (semi)serious, and I find it to be very character driven, which I love. I could go into detail about all the reasons I love it, but that would probably take a whole thread of it's own. Suffice to say, there is nothing in the world quite like it that I've found.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2013, 11:06:24 pm »
Problem is, I don't like Luffy.

... Considering he's the centerpiece character that kinda ruins the rest of it, really.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2013, 12:01:56 am »
I can't watch Sword Art Online.  I've tried but the whole thing is so bleak and depressing that even episodes with a genuinely happy ending depress me.

I don't know how you can even bring yourself to care about these characters. Let's talk about Asuna. When she's introduced, she's this shy girl who's a really powerful player, but feels too vulnerable around others. She pretty much has to be strong-armed by Kirito, also a socially maladjusted weirdo, to join a party with him.

She is not in the next episode.

In the episode AFTER that, she's suddenly 2nd in command of this army-like guild tasked with clearing the hardest floors. She's suddenly outgoing, talkative, & boisterous.

What. The. Fuck. What happened during the completely unfunny comic relief episode?

The whole thing's like that, too. Most of the main events (so far) have happened completely off-screen. The first episode basically ended with "nothing happened for 2 whole months." We don't see anything about the outside world. All we get are Kirito's random adventures in his black pimp coat. It's like they said, "We're going to rip off .hack//SIGN, but so no one catches on, we'll do the exact opposite of what they do." Characters died in grayscale? Make them die in an explosion of color. Gave attention to all of the characters, possibly even favoring the supporting cast over Tsukasa? Focus entirely on Kirito, we don't need to see his friend from the first episode ever again. Focused on dialogue with only a tenuous grasp on how that game worked, that seemed to change as the plot demanded? Infodump on inane rules for 5 minutes.

It's fucking weird.

And no, I've never watched Evangelion and I don't plan to.

I am trying so hard not to perform the No True Scotsman fallacy. This is like...up there with Dragonball in terms of importance, & with Cowboy Bebop in terms of critical acclaim. It's about my 2nd or 3rd favorite anime ever, & easily one of the ones you should watch if you want to see what all of this anime business is all about.

It shouldn't intersect with your Buffy recording at all.

Buffy's the real asshole. It airs several different story arcs at ass-random times & keeps changing its schedule. I'm not even going to try to set it up so that it doesn't record over something, I'm basically just going to hope by the Grace of God that everything works out.

Last time I tried watching some of the more popular stuff, a friend suggested One Piece

I'm not saying you'll like anime, but there's a very basic error of judgment in here.

You've got this thing called "western animation," right? You want to see the best it has to offer. So you ask what's popular.

BAM, you've just skipped over action shows like Batman & Gargoyles, adult comedies like South Park & Futurama, & skipped straight to My Little Pony. But, in reality, My Little Pony is unashamedly for little girls, people are very divided over whether or not this show is good, & it hasn't exactly stood the test of time yet.

That's basically One Piece. It's designed for 13-year-old boys, part of a genre that is routinely criticized for cliches & asspulls, with authors mostly drawing inspiration from Dragonball Z. It's not necessarily "bad," I like Bleach after all, but it's a very limited scope of information, & even the fans are going to be divided on it.

Personally? I don't like One Piece. The whole idea is too absurd &, after all of these years, they're only halfway to finding that fucking treasure. NOPE. Want no part of that mess.

It might be that some are only in Japanese and I have to read subtitles over horrible, cacophonous voices, or I can't access any, or just the whole stigma of being a fan of a such medium and having my parents walk in while watching one.

Holy shit, an anime fan who's NOT a Sub Snob? I don't know, in my experience, family should be able to get over it. It's like, "Yeah, Mom, I'm watching cartoons. Wanna tell me again about how that guy in your show was really his secret twin brother who was presumed dead in a boating accident?"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:05:11 am by Lithp »

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2013, 12:44:22 am »
My boyfriend watches one piece. The character design made me hurt inside
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2013, 02:06:38 am »
And no, I've never watched Evangelion and I don't plan to.

I am trying so hard not to perform the No True Scotsman fallacy. This is like...up there with Dragonball in terms of importance, & with Cowboy Bebop in terms of critical acclaim. It's about my 2nd or 3rd favorite anime ever, & easily one of the ones you should watch if you want to see what all of this anime business is all about.

It's not that I think Evangelion is bad, it's just that, well...

I can't get into the characters.  I should amend my previous statement, it's not that I've never watched it.  I've tried.  But the characters just don't interest me at all.

Interestingly, you are right in that it's the same way with Sword Art Online.  I don't like any of the characters.  However, the atmosphere is bleak and depressing.  Hence... I don't like it.

I'm not someone who likes depressing stories.  If I'm watching an anime, it's to cheer up.  If I want to get depressed, all I have to do is look in a mirror.

...And say shit like that.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2013, 02:17:16 am »

Yes!  I couldn't agree with that more.

I think Robert Patrick did good with the material we have, but apart from a few exceptions, it seemed the writing staff were phoning it in.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2013, 05:51:22 am »
So, its anyone caught up on breaking bad, im a bit confused as

(click to show/hide)
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2013, 08:37:06 am »

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2013, 07:07:27 pm »

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Well just to be anal,
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:14:02 pm by Katsuro »

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2013, 07:12:37 pm »
That whole plot line is so freaking convoluted. I keep having to go back to look stuff up.

I havnt really enjoyed the last three episodes. Everybody is either losing their shit, staring off into infinity, or standing in their underwear