Author Topic: Anyone else have this happen on facebook?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Anyone else have this happen on facebook?
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:22:47 pm »
I was both perplexed and a little disturbed by what happened on fb last night... I haven't ever had anything quite like this happen before...

Normally when I get instant messages from people on facebook, they're from family or friends who haven't been in touch. But last night, someone who I have never met before (I just add people for neighbors in the fb games) and who isn't even on the same continent, sent me this:

My dear sweetheart,
I want to speak truth through this letter and open my heart and reveal a secret to you.
I think that this is the right time for me to tell you. I want to say the simple and plain truth that I love you. I love you not only because of your extraordinarily beautiful looks, but is because immediately i saw your profile pic and it captured my mind.I know that you are not a mother but future mother.
I am not ashamed of telling this world that I love you. In fact we can live with great courage when we love each other. With love, i will come and meet you face to face. There is no law in the world which can bind or regulate our free flow of love.
Your unusual simplicity and feminine qualities always fill my mind with ecstasy. Like a thread which binds the garland, your innate beauty binds your lovable personality. Your beauty and love can not be expressed by words.
You are and you will be the only woman behind my every success.
You inspire and motivate me to work hard for the success. You are the lady luck in my life at all times.I assure you that I will love you forever in the future, as I love you now. I will not change my mind. My body and mind is reserved for you. There is no place for others to dwell in my heart except you.
Loving you forever.

Now... am I wrong in thinking this is... pretty much as creepy as all fuck? The way this guy talks just sent red flags and air sirens off in my head. Especially considering that we've never met before.

I gave him what I feel is a fitting response:

Okay... i'm honestly not sure if I should be flattered or a little freaked out...
I am going to dissect a few points in your letter here, okay?
First of all, opening with "My dearest sweetheart" comes off as being incredibly creepy, especially considering we have never met before in reality.
Your repeated declarations of love toward me are a little weird as well, considering, again, that we have never met before.
"I know that you are not a mother but future mother."
Um... I hate to break this to you, but I have absolutely zero intentions of having children. I can't stand the little screaming, psychotic crotch spawn and am never having any of my own.
"With love, i will come and meet you face to face. There is no law in the world which can bind or regulate our free flow of love."
So... restraining orders wouldn't stop you?
"Your unusual simplicity and feminine qualities"
Still trying to figure out how you think you know me, considering the fact I played with bugs and dirt as a kid, wear a dress maybe once a year, shun brightly colored or feminine clothing, and have no maternal instincts whatsoever...
"You are and you will be the only woman behind my every success."
Wow... um... impressive considering there's an ocean between us...
Actually, know what? Screw dissecting the rest. I hate to tell you this, but flowery, poetic words in a note only works in the movies. And... this note is flat out obsessive/stalker-ish. If there wasn't an ocean separating the two of us, I'd have called the police due to the tone of the letter! I don't know you, you don't know me, and sending letters like this is entirely inappropriate. In fact, I'm only about 10% flattered, and 90% creeped out by this.
If you do something like this again, I will remove you from my fl. I add friends on here for the games, not for the social interactions.
Oh, and my boyfriend says 'hi.'

Was I wrong to reply? Should I just delete this creep-a-zoid from my fl or am I looking too much into something here? While I get the occasional random whisper from guys, they usually go away if I just ignore them. I've never actually had someone write a freaking love note to me before! And if this is how they're normally written, then I can do without. O.o

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
Re: Anyone else have this happen on facebook?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:09:24 am »
Just block them. I don't really see the point in trying to reason with someone who sends love letters to complete strangers.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:04 am »
I would block them, it sounds like the start of some sort of email scam.

Next thing he will want your bank account details.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:49:12 am »
Just to be safe, put a contract out on his life.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:57:32 am »
I would block them, it sounds like the start of some sort of email scam.

Next thing he will want your bank account details.

I just Googled it and the message she received is a copy-paste job, and it's often used in e-mail scams.

http://419.bittenus.com/12/3/josphinesankara.html

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 02:36:10 am »
Send him a photoshopped picture of you naked and with an enormous penis flopping about. That tends to send these internet creeps running for the hills.

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:47:25 am »
Facebook accounts, especially ones that have been inactive for a long time and are thus likely abandoned, can get hacked, and then spambots send messages like that to everyone on that account's friends list.  I had one Facebook friend who hasn't posted in years suddenly start sending me private messages about how she'd made a lot of money with this great new service and I should try it, too.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:13:05 am »
Is Mr. Love Love from Nigeria, by any chance?

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 03:03:32 pm »
Is Mr. Love Love from Nigeria, by any chance?

Manchester, UK... according to his fb profile anyway...