Author Topic: Just in case you didn't already despice Limbaugh  (Read 8835 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Just in case you didn't already despice Limbaugh
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:21:17 am »
Limbaugh: "If Any Race Of People Should Not Have Guilt About Slavery, It's Caucasians"

http://mediamatters.org/video/2013/07/22/limbaugh-if-any-race-of-people-should-not-have/194999

Really???

First he points out that other "races" also had slaves in history, which is true and if he had simply stuck to that to point out that USA and caucasians aren't the only ones whose ancestors have done questionable things in the past I would have agreed with him. Even though I hate dividing people according to race. Shouldn't we be talking about cultures or nations? I mean it's not like we can lump all asians together and claim that the japanese should be ashamed of what the Khmer Rouge did... But that's another peeve of mine.

But then says this:
But despite all that, no other race has ever fought a war for the purpose of ending slavery, which we did. Nearly 600,000 people killed in the Civil War. It's preposterous that Caucasians are blamed for slavery when they've done more to end it than any other race, and within the bounds of the Constitution to boot.

Really? Do you know how the slavery ended on the rest of the planet? People either realised that it is a horrible thing to do and stopped doing it out of shame or simply realised that everyone else thinks slavery is horrible and therefore stopped doing it because they don't want to be thought of as horrible excuses for a human being. (Well there still is slavery in some places but the current concensus is that slavery is wrong evil.)

Then there was this one country where there was a war to keep slavery legal. Because that is what happened. When most of them decided to outlaw slavery a conciderable part of USA seceded simply because they wanted to keep on having slaves and were willing to go to war to defend that right. They had a war FOR slavery. The whole "War of northern aggression" or whatever you wish to call it would not have happened unless people hadn't specifically been willing to fight to DEFEND slavery.

And at some point I'm going to have to go off on a rant about lumping all "caucasians" or "asians" or "africans" (preferably "african-americans" even if they live in England or some other place) together into one group disregarging the separate nationalities and cultures just because of their skin colour.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
Re: Just in case you didn't already despice Limbaugh
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:32:26 am »
So... USA has the only white people? Because that's the only way Limbaugh could possibly make any sense whatsoever...
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 12:17:31 pm »
So... USA has the only white people? Because that's the only way Limbaugh could possibly make any sense whatsoever...
No, only white people are American. Gawd, haven't you been paying attention to the talking points?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:24:00 pm »
It's funny. A trivial corollary of Limbaughs argument is that Caucasians are also the only race to go to war to defend slavery.

Of course the argument doesn't even begin to make sense, so its corollaries are entirely irrelevant, but still.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:16:23 pm »
Wow.

This isn't just racist.

But this is also basically saying that America is superior to other countries because it had a war to abolish slavery and they just did it willingly.

Limbaugh, your head is screwed on backwards.  At least your brain is.  Because THAT'S BACKWARDS!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 03:54:18 pm »
I can't even begin to explain the number of things wrong with this.  Just, holy shit Limaugh...
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 03:58:30 pm »
Rush Limbaugh is the human embodiment of fractal wrongness.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 04:07:58 pm »
Because slavery is totally the only atrocity carried out by white nations. I mean, it's not like colonialism, segregation, forced assimilation, ethnic cleansing, scientific racism and institutional racism have been prevalent in recent history.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 08:42:56 pm »
No, only white people are American. Gawd, haven't you been paying attention to the talking points?

Oops, sorry, it slipped my mind there for a second. I blame Obamacare.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:59:26 pm »
Does he suffer from a massive amount of cognitive dissonance or does he know he is full of shit?

Going to war to end slavery would only be noble if for instance we Canadians had come down and kicked your asses to make you play nice. If you have to squabble among yourselves to the point of tearing the country in half and putting 600 000 people in the ground to settle the debate gives you no grounds to claim anything because any nobility half the country may be able to claim is negated by other half which fought against it.

Besides, I thought that the civil war was about states rights and not slavery. ;)

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 09:01:37 pm »
Besides, I thought that the civil war was about states rights and not slavery. ;)

Only when it's convenient to claim so.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 10:39:55 pm »
It's funny. A trivial corollary of Limbaughs argument is that Caucasians are also the only race to go to war to defend slavery.

Of course the argument doesn't even begin to make sense, so its corollaries are entirely irrelevant, but still.

It isn't even a corollary, it's the main point.  If we're going to frame the Civil War as only about slavery for the sake of this argument, then the Civil War was a war to defend slavery, not abolish it.  Slavery was abolished in the US through a mere executive mandate.  The war was backlash against it.  The fact that they lost does not somehow mean that the ultimate result was the original purpose of the fight.

Whites didn't win a war abolishing slavery, they lost a war defending it.

This is like Mormons touting themselves as defenders of gay rights because they pushed Proposition 8, which was eventually used as justification to strike down a lot of anti-gay laws.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 11:15:32 pm »
Everyone else has already voiced the same criticisms of this argument that I have. But I despair that a not insignificant amount of people actually take Limbaugh seriously and think that this is a good argument.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 12:29:45 am »

It isn't even a corollary, it's the main point.  If we're going to frame the Civil War as only about slavery for the sake of this argument, then the Civil War was a war to defend slavery, not abolish it.  Slavery was abolished in the US through a mere executive mandate.  The war was backlash against it.  The fact that they lost does not somehow mean that the ultimate result was the original purpose of the fight.

Whites didn't win a war abolishing slavery, they lost a war defending it.

This is like Mormons touting themselves as defenders of gay rights because they pushed Proposition 8, which was eventually used as justification to strike down a lot of anti-gay laws.

I agree wholly. And not just because that was the point I made in my post.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 12:34:19 am »
It's also important to note that slavery was re-established after the war- and by the very people Limbaugh routinely lionises.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_by_Another_Name
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR