Author Topic: 150 arrested in child prostitution sting  (Read 18893 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: 150 arrested in child prostitution sting
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2013, 10:07:09 pm »
His idea is more humiliation than anything. Which, to a lot of people, is worse than death. I cringe and cover my eyes when a character in a show or movie is being embarrassed, and my father does the same.

This is out of topic but I just want to point out that Finnish language has a word for that: Myötähäpeä. It means feeling the shame/embarrassment FOR a different person. We also have a word for shcadenfreude, vahingonilo, but this is a completely opposite reaction to another persons plight.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2013, 12:18:27 am »
Let's not let murderers, rapists, and child molesters make the rest of us worse people.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2013, 02:56:29 am »
His idea is more humiliation than anything. Which, to a lot of people, is worse than death. I cringe and cover my eyes when a character in a show or movie is being embarrassed, and my father does the same.

This is out of topic but I just want to point out that Finnish language has a word for that: Myötähäpeä. It means feeling the shame/embarrassment FOR a different person. We also have a word for shcadenfreude, vahingonilo, but this is a completely opposite reaction to another persons plight.
English needs that word.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2013, 02:57:45 am »

English needs that word.

Is "empathy" not good enough? I know it covers more than JUST that, but still...
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2013, 03:08:36 am »

English needs that word.

Is "empathy" not good enough? I know it covers more than JUST that, but still...

Empathy is like: "Oh that person must be so embarrased right now." It means that you know how a person feels, while myötähäpeä means that YOU are experiencing the embarrassment yourself. For example while watching the latest reality-tv show and the contestants are making fools of themselves just for the chance to get on TV and you cannot bear to watch it because of myötähäpeä.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline doomcup

• Neonate
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2013, 06:16:45 am »
Empathy is like: "Oh that person must be so embarrased right now." It means that you know how a person feels, while myötähäpeä means that YOU are experiencing the embarrassment yourself. For example while watching the latest reality-tv show and the contestants are making fools of themselves just for the chance to get on TV and you cannot bear to watch it because of myötähäpeä.

I so know that feeling! Now if only I could pronounce the word...

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2013, 09:37:10 am »
Its so said that i only experience myötähäpeä when im watching sitcoms, and i have to turn it off because of it
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2013, 11:41:18 am »
We call it "Vergüenza ajena", which literally translates to "other's shame". It's the same concept as myötähäpeä, but with more words and fewer diaeresis.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2013, 02:55:53 pm »
I think "empathy" works because of its sci fi connotations with empaths, people who can literally feel another's emotions.

On the other hand, "sympathy" works for the whole "Oh, that person must be feeling that way, I feel sorry for them" role instead.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2013, 03:24:57 pm »
I think "empathy" works because of its sci fi connotations with empaths, people who can literally feel another's emotions.

On the other hand, "sympathy" works for the whole "Oh, that person must be feeling that way, I feel sorry for them" role instead.
It's less feeling sorry, and more just "AWKWARD AWKWARD AHHHH!" Like, we feel extremely embarrassed and awkward because the characters are in an embarrassing or awkward situation. Both of us tend to watch that shit with one eye open, through our fingers.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2013, 03:31:15 pm »
That would be what I mean by empathy.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2013, 03:34:39 pm »
That would be what I mean by empathy.
Ahh, yeah, good point.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2013, 06:28:22 am »
Let's not let murderers, rapists, and child molesters make the rest of us worse people.
This times 1000.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.