Author Topic: OH Shit moments in gaming  (Read 19745 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
OH Shit moments in gaming
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:46 am »
Didn't we used to have a thread like this? And one for awesome moments in gaming as well?

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to revisit them, and being me I decided to start with the not so awesome moments:

World of Tanks:

Anytime when my tank gets immobilized. I am just sitting there getting hit by two or more enemy tanks and all the artillery pieces... And considering that I like tank destroyers, which do not have a rotating turret I am usually defenseless as well as the enemies circle behind me... Bonus points when I lose the track or engine from the first shot. (has happened 4 times by now.)

X-Com:

Chryssalids! Awww hell no! Damn bugs have a way of coming out of nowhere and finishing of my scouts, by now I'm using all heavy weapons and grenades on them as soon as I see them. (I will let the scientist have plenty of other live creatures to study, they can have all the sectoids they want, but I am not risking my soldiers with the chryssalids. Eat my rocket is all I say to them.)

It's just that when I start a terror mission and after taking three steps a group of chryssalids busts trhough a door (or wall) and give a face full of alien wingwong to half of my team before I can even react...

Ewwwwww...

(seriously though both games are awesome and I have to admit that the chryssalids do add to the athmosphere and challenge in X-com but I hate them anyway...)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: OH Shit moments in gaming
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:31:05 am »
Crocmire from Super Metroid. You shoot this thing into the lava and you watch its skin melt off while it screams. Once you go to the other end of the hall its massive skeleton bursts through a wall and collapses. Made me freak out first time playing it.

Distind

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:48:33 am »
X-Com:

Chryssalids! Awww hell no! Damn bugs have a way of coming out of nowhere and finishing of my scouts, by now I'm using all heavy weapons and grenades on them as soon as I see them. (I will let the scientist have plenty of other live creatures to study, they can have all the sectoids they want, but I am not risking my soldiers with the chryssalids. Eat my rocket is all I say to them.)

It's just that when I start a terror mission and after taking three steps a group of chryssalids busts trhough a door (or wall) and give a face full of alien wingwong to half of my team before I can even react...

Ewwwwww...

(seriously though both games are awesome and I have to admit that the chryssalids do add to the athmosphere and challenge in X-com but I hate them anyway...)

They were a bit of trouble at first, then my sniper got a plasma sniper rifle and two shots in a turn. There's literally no alien that survived a turn of her attacking it.

My oh shit moment was when at the very last second of the game, she got mind controlled. And her first action was plugging my other sniper, leaving a big fat room o' nothing between me and all the death I can eat. She could wipe my team in two turns. I still managed to win anyway. For bonus points my sniper still managed to survive since he didn't have long enough to finish dying before the mission ended, leaving my only fatalities in the game the ones from first contact and the poor rookie who met the first pair of Chryssalids.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:08 am »
I think from the original X-Com was when the aliens tossed a grenade into the sky ranged loading ramp when I was deploying my troops. I lost half my squad. I think I quit the game then and there.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:48:00 am »
Every single time I met up with giants in Skyrim I'd run like a little bitch till they stopped chasing me.  Now?

Ironbite-hello Mr. Giant, meet arrow to the face.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:25:58 pm »
Pretty much any Company of Heroes skirmish as the Axis. For some reason, my allied AI would always get pubstomped about 20mins in by a huge Allied attack, while failing to deliver the same at any point of the game. One time, this happened while I was smashing through the enemy bases (4v4 map, all based lined up so I could flank all of them in sequence). I figured I'd have them, but the game didn't end when I took down the last HQ, and at that point the Axis base farthest from mine was gone, with each one moving towards mine being in gradually better (but still losing) states of assault. So, I run my forces back, and they hit this massive force that kills... I think all but half a squad of troops. I almost quit, but decided to wait it out, just to see what happened. After a VERY long span of pouring out all the reinforcements I could muster (thank gods for picking that command tree), the rush of Shermans and halftracks comes to an end. At this point, I have about half a barracks and armor factory (I forget what they're called, but it made the light armor), and a couple squads of engineers and one very experienced anti-tank squad.
So, now that I know *something* survived my earlier decimation, and they seem to have run out of forces, I queue up more engineers and send them to salvage whatever resources they can find in the tank graveyard that sits on my doorstep, while whatever soldiers I have go heal and reinforce and all that fun stuff. By now, I think the only AI that survived is the base next to me, and even then they're holding by a thread. It's at this time that I notice that the HQ foundations for my defeated allies still exists and have health bars. So I decide to send engineers to see if said HQs can be rebuilt (I didn't know it was possible at the time). Not only do I survive losing all my forces, and the brunt of four armies worth of troops, I manage to recover enough resources (at this point we had NO map control anywhere. Obvs.) from tank corpses to rebuild my base, and my allies were sitting on enough that, once their HQs were up, they were rebuilding in overtime; I could swear the AIs were angry from how fast they sent troops out to retake the map.

And what enemy structure survived all this carnage, you may ask, if you read any of this at all? A motherfucking machine gun nest. In the corner of the map. Pretty sure I firebombed it out of raeg.

A more recent 'Oh Shit' moment was a League of Legends match where my team was getting stomped on pretty hard. We get pushed into our base, down to the Nexus towers, and have little choice but to sit and push back the endless wave of super creeps while the enemy champs keep making (largely unsuccessful) incursions into our base. Most of my team wants to call it quits, but I notice that, each time the enemy attacks, we come out a little more ahead than before, and convince my team (Somehow) to keep going. I don't remember the team comps at all, but we reached the point that our sustained farming/line holding allowed us to fill out our builds, and give us the upper hand during the big fights. It was one of the longest games I think I've ever played, but we managed to turn it around.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:55:35 pm »
That moment in Killing Floor where I'm playing a Medic and my other five team mates get wiped out while there are still about 100 enemies coming towards me.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 01:07:38 pm »
About 90% of my oh shit moments involve creepers. Enough said.  :-\

Saturn500

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 03:43:59 pm »
Back when Left 4 Dead 2 first launched, I was playing as Ellis in single player in the mall level (second-to-last of the first campaign), and a Jockey rode me down an escalator...into the puking range of a Boomer, which proceeded to do it's thing...and then right past a Witch, thus startling it. The result: I wound up being mauled by a witch and a horde of normal Infected.

Oh, yeah, and this was on Normal difficulty (I think), so the AI teammates were barely able to save my ass.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night, when playing World of Goo, in the level "Beauty and the Electric Tentacle", I made a mistake resulting in a slope made out of "Droplets"* falling, and the "Beauty Goo"* was in the middle of going down the slope when it happened, so it fell too. I clicked one of those bugs which let you undo a move... which resulted in the "Beauty Goo"* getting launched right over to the other side of the level, somehow.

I still have no idea how that happened.

*I think that's what they're called, anyway.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:46:05 pm by Saturn500 »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 03:47:51 pm »
Back when Left 4 Dead 2 first launched, I was playing as Ellis in single player in the mall level (second-to-last of the first campaign), and a Jockey rode me down an escalator...into the puking range of a Boomer, which proceeded to do it's thing...and then right past a Witch, thus startling it. The result: I wound up being mauled by a witch and a horde of normal Infected.

Oh, yeah, and this was on Normal difficulty (I think), so the AI teammates were barely able to save my ass.

I love L4D2, but the witches always make me say, "Oh #$%@!"

Dead Space 2:  Grotesque monsters popping out of every nook and corner of the station, but what makes me jump out of my chair EVERY SINGLE TIME?  The #^^##&*($%@## cardboard sun!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:16:31 pm »
Pretty much my first time playing Dead Space.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:21:46 pm »
Every single time I met up with giants in Skyrim I'd run like a little bitch till they stopped chasing me.  Now?

Ironbite-hello Mr. Giant, meet arrow to the face.

The first time I ever (incorrectly) thought that I could take on a giant, I wound up trying to run away form it while severely wounded.  I ran into a sabrecat.  I tried to run away from both, and a dragon attacked.  I turned off the game.

A few days later, I wandered too close to a giant camp while fighting a dragon.  I didn't realize that I had angered them until after I killed the dragon, and they killed me in one hit.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 05:50:15 pm »
That moment in Killing Floor where I'm playing a Medic and my other five team mates get wiped out while there are still about 100 enemies coming towards me.

The thing is is that I don't have oh shit moments in Killing Floor. Remaining nice and calm helps a lot.

But I do have a saying. "It's always a crawler." Either you get blocked by one escaping from a scrake or Flesh pound, or you got injured enough by one and a crawler finishes you off. Vast Majority of deaths are directly or indirectly a crawlers fault.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 06:06:24 pm »
Every time when I'm low on health in a game, and a grenade lands right at my feet
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 06:10:27 pm »
The first time I tried to fight Keeper Z..whatshisname(it's been a while) in Dragon Age:Origins on Nightmare with my Spirit-build Mage. By that point I had Mana Clash and gotten into the habit to one-shot all enemy mages as my first action in a battle. So of course I tried the same with him. Being a boss on Nightmare difficulty, he survives with about 1/3 HP, and I get ready to clear out the adds first. That is when I discover that he is also a blood mage, and just never uses it because the AI only triggers that mode when it runs out of mana, which never happens, and without the mode active, it can't use the nasty blood magic spells. Except Mana Clash just drained him completely. So he starts glowing, and one second later my entire team is in stunlock and gets heavy damage, while the adds tear into them. Fastest wipe ever.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.