Author Topic: Shippers Ship the Darndest Pairings  (Read 47876 times)

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
Shippers Ship the Darndest Pairings
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:10:23 am »
Sorry for committing two sins, one for double-posting (i.e. making another post after yours) and another for bumping a thread (come on, it hasn't been "dead" for that long), but this has came across me.

Zealous, "Die For Our Ship" Shippers.

So what if your shipping is not canon? That the writer even makes the rival shipping canon? I mean I've seen people get pissy all over whether Sonic should go out with Amy Rose or Sally Acorn, and if he should also bone one of them. If you're on the Sonic/Amy side, you see Sally as a useless harlot who should be killed (and even then when I was an asshole enough to bicker with Sonic/Sally supporters, I considered all the "kill" art for Sally disgusting and it made the shipping I supported look bad). If you're on the Sonic/Sally side, most of the time you've shipped Amy with Tails and don't consider a particular character worth killing for your ship. On the bright side, there are those whose OT3 "Sonic, Amy & Sally," but that is if you support two out of three of that shipping or are okay with polygamous relationships (which, to people like Chagen/Agni, there really isn't much wrong with, as long as you consent and love each other back).

That's one example, all which I had experiences with, but one example that really pisses me off is the whole thing with Harry Potter fandom (you know... Harry Potter & Ginny Weasley and Hermione Granger & Ron Weasley). In fact, when J.K. Rowling, who had decided that Ginny would be Harry's "soulmate" early on when writing future installments, wrote the relationship as Harry/Ginny, not Harry/Hermione, the fandom got pretty cross (an understatement). They accused fan-sites whose webmasters interviewed Rowling herself of having "Ron/Hermione bias," often leading to shit-storm which has even been parodied in a fan-fic named after - even based - on a freakin' song by Synthpop duo Erasure. And for shit that is serious, there was some flower-girl who rambled about every Harry Potter book sold being sent to abortions in China, expecting to pull the heartstrings of anti-choice pussies who were already pretty irate about something so simple and so stupid as getting your preferred shipping Jossed.

And then there are shippers whose shippings are totally illogical and without rhyme and reason. Of note, there are (just a few) people who actually ship Mordecai of The Regular Show with Twilight Sparkle of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I mean, at least these shippers are peaceful, but what the hell.

Often times, I just want to ask all of you shippers "WHY?!?"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Shippers Ship the Darndest Pairings
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:43:14 am »
Shipping is srs business.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 04:25:53 am »
I just find the whole concept of shipping just...creepy...all over. I don't even think the writers of a show care that much
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 04:33:55 am »
Personally, I find shipping to be on the same level as taking the clothes off of a couple of Barbie dolls and rubbing them together.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:15:58 am »
The Homestuck community is obsessed with shipping/crackshipping.  Probably because the Quadrant system being introduced in Act 5, (basically four different types of relationships).  It doesn't help that the author draws hillarious crackships.

Here's a recent thread

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:52:17 pm »
I just find the whole concept of shipping just...creepy...all over. I don't even think the writers of a show care that much

Oh, no, they do. Shipping is part of what makes a show run by attracting attention and having your viewers emotionally invest in the characters. If writers truly didn't care about shipping, they would never write love triangles or UST.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 09:33:30 pm »
And then there are shippers whose shippings are totally illogical and without rhyme and reason. Of note, there are (just a few) people who actually ship Mordecai of The Regular Show with Twilight Sparkle of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I mean, at least these shippers are peaceful, but what the hell.

Goku and Anne Frank.  It happens in a fic.  Also, Super Saiyan Hitler is the villain.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 09:43:40 pm »

Goku and Anne Frank.  It happens in a fic.  Also, Super Saiyan Hitler is the villain.

That's called a crack pairing, so named because you'd have to be on crack to actually seriously support it. There's a difference between actually putting two characters together because you really and truly think they would go well together, and putting together two characters just for the lulz.

Example: Luna and Harry being together is a ship. It isn't supported by the book, and it's not particularly popular, but you could draw the argument that they would work well together. Grawp and Draco, which has a fic that exists, is a crack pairing. No one vehemently supports crack pairings unless they are on crack or trolling.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 09:44:50 pm »

Super Aryan*
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 04:50:41 am »
Admittedly, there's some crack pairings out there that are just plain fun to consider... say, anything involving Discord and Pinkie...

... ... I still don't know how that one actually got TRACTION in the fandom...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 12:09:35 pm »
Theres a ridiculous number of people that ship Arthur and Merlin from BBC's Merlin. The producers do make sure they have a lot of close moments, even though Arthur is now, ya know, married to Guinevere.

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 12:21:33 pm »
Theres a ridiculous number of people that ship Arthur and Merlin from BBC's Merlin. The producers do make sure they have a lot of close moments, even though Arthur is now, ya know, married to Guinevere.

It happens a lot in television. BBC's Sherlock is probably the most obvious one, since the writers make sure to have scenes like hand-holding in there, but it happens in shows like NCIS and Supernatural and Covert Affairs. Writers are well aware that people will ship their characters, so they put in moments to help it along. Supposedly X-Men: First Class hopped the line from "ambiguous homoerotic subtext" to "FANGIRLS WE KNOW YOU ARE WATCHING LOOK GAYNESS," but I haven't seen it, so.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 05:45:42 pm »
Admittedly, there's some crack pairings out there that are just plain fun to consider... say, anything involving Discord and Pinkie...

... ... I still don't know how that one actually got TRACTION in the fandom...

Discord/Pinkie is fun, but you know who I prefer to pair him with... ;)
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 08:44:51 pm »
I'm pondering splitting off this discussion about shipping so that people can talk more freely about it as opposed to worrying about straying too far from the topic.  What do you think?

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 08:47:25 pm »
Aye.