Author Topic: Would a story about SWAT team raiding a no-kill shelter to kill a deer go here?  (Read 7710 times)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Here, have some examples.

I've looked through a few of these. Some of them are good examples. But I think you're missing the point. I wasn't saying, "Show me some police brutality to justify this topic," I was saying, "Don't make a topic saying, 'X is bad,' & then backtrack later & say, 'You just don't get it, the REAL problem is Y.'" If the problem is Y, make a topic about Y. If the topic is about X, focus discussion primarily on X.

But the way they went about it was asinine.

How do you think illegally harboring a communicable biohazard should be handled, bearing in mind that you're supposed to treat those situations in the same way, according the law?

Even if they showed up unannounced, they didn't need to intimidate the staff with their weapons, corral them away, and do a room-by-room search for the fawn.

Yeah, I'd take a lot of the story with a grain of salt.

If that's the procedure, then the procedure needs to change, because it's a stupid fucking procedure.  The fact that someone wrote that up as the procedure does not make it right, warranted, or reasonable.  It just means that the person who wrote it is a goddamned idiot.

DING! DING! DING! Bolding this part because it finally hits the point. Knee-jerk "fire everyone!" responses do NOT change procedure.

That doesn't mean he was right to do so.

That doesn't sound like it fits the definition of "potentially dangerous," & therefore is not the same thing.

If the rules they follow aren't reasonable, then that needs to be elevated to someone who can change it.

Sure, but that doesn't mean you go, "In the meantime, I'm going to break the goddam law!"

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses

No, they wouldn't call you because you broke the law. That'd be ridiculous. That isn't in procedure. Should they have knocked? Probably. But still. C'mon.

Why would that be ridiculous exactly? 
 We aren't talking about drug dealers here.  No one was going to take that deer and use it to kill anyone.  The shelter wasnt' filled with religious fanatics who were likely to do suicide attacks to keep one baby deer. 

The law is the law.

I hate to bring this up but that's the kind of thinking authoritarians use to excuse abuses in power.  Whenever that excuse comes up we should look at it really hard.  That's where the outrage is coming from, that this sort of thing seems to be becoming more and more common.  You can't dismiss the outrage if you don't understand why it' s there.

Yes they should have called. They should not have escalated the situation.  At the least someone in the police force should have mentioned that this would reinforce the perception of cops as jack booted thugs and open the dept to charges of misusing tax payer monies.

Oh on a  side note.. when someone stole my plates and used them while stealing gas in Arnold Missouri, the Arnold cops actually DID call me to question me if I was the one who stole the gas.  I explained my plates had been stolen, my car was totally different make/model from the one they said had fled the gas station and somehow 13 law officers did not have to show up to corral me at work or erase pictures off my phone while they searched for the car.

So yeah.. apparently cops do know how to use the phone and there's nothing in procedure that stops them from doing so.

That's a completely different situation and context. And I think you know it.

No  I don't see how that is all that different or rebuts my point..  Nor do you bother to explain, apparently. 

It was different in my case it was actual larceny, certainly a more serious crime  then having a baby deer.  Yet the cops still managed to handle it without scores of officers.  There was nothing in procedure that kept them from calling.

So why could the cops use the phone in my case but not call an animal shelter?  The claim that the cops were not allowed to call someone they thought might have broken the law is patently false.

But sure, keep on going with the whole 'everyone who says the cops only followed procedure and the law are being authoritarians'.

of course I didnt' say that "everyone who says" that is being authoritarian.

What i said was we should look at arguments centered on the idea that the "law is the law"with more scrutiny because authoritarians use that as an excuse to justify/dismiss charges of  abuse of power by authorities.  Because authoritarians  do do that.

If you give them moral dilemmas (e.g. should one steal an absurdly
expensive drug to save a life?) they’re more likely to say, “The law is the law and
must be obeyed” than most people are.

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

That seems like an important distinction and when you ignore that difference, it looks like you're building a straw man.  Especially when you cut out a large portion of my text without even so much as an ellipse to indicate that what you were quoting wasn't exactly what I had said.

God damn I hate hysterical response to anything dealing with cops.

But are you sure it's not just your perception  that it's hysterical?

Even the positive stories have had people scream about how it's just a cover for something sinister.

Now who's making blanket accusals?

Anyway, I don't have to prove that no one ever had bad feelings/suspicion of the cops to show that the cops over reacted and abused their power, sending a swat team where it was not needed and escalating the situation.. here specifically or in a general sense.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2006/01/swat-teams-everywhere

BTW, a lot of you seem to be using the word "policy" like a rhetorical shield.

Here's a secret I am still surprised is secret.

Cops and indeed lots of people make up "policy" as it suits their needs.  Cops have even made up laws on the spot to justify threat of arrests.  Cops have admitted this to me.  I have had lawyers tell me this.  I have seen it happen.

I bring this up here because while the law that forbids possession of wild animals is cited, no one has shown the written policy that says the cops can't make a phone call or have to have to use overwhelming force even in such a low threat case (remember, no one was arrested. that's how DANGEROUS!!!!  the cops thought these animal shelter workers really were)

The only person who claimed this officially is the spokesperson, who's job it is to protect the police dept's image and apparently cant' tell the difference between an animal shelter and a drug lab.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:56:42 pm by booley »
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline booley

• Pope
How do you think illegally harboring a communicable biohazard should be handled, .....

Ok that seems extremely hyperbolic (which considering the point you seem to be making might be ironic).

A fawn was nto a bio hazard.  Some times wild animals do harbor disease but there was no reason to suspect that here (certainly if the fawn had rabies they would have said so).  People actually come into contact with deer all the time and somehow dont' get the plague.

It's a fawn. Not a used syringe from a drug den.

Even if they showed up unannounced, they didn't need to intimidate the staff with their weapons, corral them away, and do a room-by-room search for the fawn.

Yeah, I'd take a lot of the story with a grain of salt.

Why?  none of the parties involved is disputing it.  Even if one wasn't to automatically distrust the account of the shelter workers, saying this is untrue would also mean the police themselves were being deceitful about their own actions.  IF there was an account that was more favorable to the police, I would think the police spokesperson would have brought it up.

On what basis do you distrust this account of what happened.

If that's the procedure, then the procedure needs to change, because it's a stupid fucking procedure.  The fact that someone wrote that up as the procedure does not make it right, warranted, or reasonable.  It just means that the person who wrote it is a goddamned idiot.

DING! DING! DING! Bolding this part because it finally hits the point. Knee-jerk "fire everyone!" responses do NOT change procedure.

Ok I guess my main point here is... aren't procedures written by PEOPLE?  Don't people interpret those procedures and decide what they mean??  Aren't people the ones who act on that procedure?

If there are no consequences to people for a bad "procedure" then what pressure can be applied to do things any differently?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:11:43 pm by booley »
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Was the shelter breaking the law, yes.  Did the police over react and show a utter failure in the use of common sense, yes.

One phone call or even a visit by a detective could have solved this to everyone's satisfaction.  The deer could have been moved the next day, and the shelter could have been issued some type of warning not to do this again.

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
Or, if the fawn had to be euthanized, they could have sent a couple of animal control officers in to get it.  Animal control has to go get animals all the time.  Only rarely (usually in the cases of things like dogfight rings or smugglers) do they go for the brute force approach.  Usually, they talk to people first to try and resolve the situation peacefully.

Not all crimes are equal.  Nor are all criminals.  Plenty of police forces will use a soft approach when dealing with this sort of situation because they don't need a show of force.  What they need is cooperation, and when dealing with a licensed, reputable animal shelter (albeit one not licensed for wild animals), there was absolutely no reason to expect that they wouldn't cooperate.

Of course, if I were that shelter, I'd be a lot less inclined to cooperate with police in the future.  The police gave them no reason to, other than intimidation.  And certainly, there are times when that's the correct tool to use.  But this was not one of them.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Ok that seems extremely hyperbolic

If you're not going to answer the question, or even read the damn thing, I'm done. Keep repeating the same complaints on the internet, see if that rights what was wronged.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:07:38 am by Lithp »

Offline booley

• Pope
Ok that seems extremely hyperbolic

If you're not going to answer the question, ....

I did read it.  and the question you posed seemed fallacious.

So if the premise of your question was so, I dont' think I help by pretending otherwise and answering it.

IF you disagree, then by all means answer my questions and show me how I was incorrect.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:11:00 pm by booley »
The Doctor

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
It is important to realize that if the only tool you have is a hammer, eventually everything begins to look like a nail.

I do have to ask, do they bother teaching non-violent conflict resolution at the academy any more?

We have a situation right now where a cop shot a kid with a knife that is getting a lot of attention right now because it appears that it was unnecessary since the kid was bottled up alone on a streetcar. Toronto streetcar shooting In contrast we have infamous Greyhound beheading wiki where the police essentially waited him out (he eventually tried to go out a window and got tazered).