Author Topic: Would a story about SWAT team raiding a no-kill shelter to kill a deer go here?  (Read 7665 times)

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
Because it happened in Wisconsin.  The writer from the Daily Kos seemed to think it was a precursor to worse to come, but the writer comes off as a bit hysterical.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:38:17 am by Sour Grapes »

wrightway

Oh wow. They stuffed it in a body bag before they killed it. Such big, brave men. (s*)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
You're missing an L and a bracket there, Grapes.

Edit: Reading these articles reminds me of a book I saw in the store about how America's police are becoming more and more akin to military in their tactics and thinking. The problem is, if you're trained to act like an occupying army, you're going to start seeing everyone who lives around you as a potential enemy insurgent. I need to find that book and actually read it, as opposed to just reading the dust jacket.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:37:46 pm by R. U. Sirius »
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
I read about this. Walker's Wisconsin in a nutshell....Land Of Fiend & Home Of The Insane. How long until Walker's time is up? Maybe that will be the opportunity the Progressive Wisconsinites will be waiting for.

This is heart-breaking. I hope the shelter sues the tar out of those thugs....or something, anything!

I wonder what those two busybodies who "tipped off" the Teeny Peeny Meanie team?

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
I don't think the writer is overly-paranoid at all. This is batshit fucking insane. I hope every single one of the officers gets attacked be deer and killed.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
I'm sorry, but... I fail to see the problem here. Sure, it's sad that they had to kill the fawn. But it's policy. The shelter was illegally housing a wild animal. If they had called ahead, chances are the shelter workers would have tried to hide the fawn, which likely would have gotten them in legal trouble for obstructing the duties of law enforcement officers.

No one was hurt. From the sounds of it, the fawn was killed in as humane a manner as possible. It's sad, sure, but not something to be angry over.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Umm. I think that a few uniformed officers could have done the job without the SWAT gear. And I don't get it why they had to stuff the animal in the bag before shooting it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Umm. I think that a few uniformed officers could have done the job without the SWAT gear. And I don't get it why they had to stuff the animal in the bag before shooting it.
And they didn't have to herd up the staff and take one's phone and delete the pictures they were taking.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• The Beast
And they didn't have to herd up the staff and take one's phone and delete the pictures they were taking.

These, I think, are the big issues. The police acted like the staff were running a meth lab and going to open up on them with machine guns. If they had called ahead, I'm pretty sure they could have helped the staff arrange to transport the deer to a facility that could legally care for it; failing that, they could have at least taken the deer elsewhere to be put down, rather than doing it where the staff could see. Additionally, taking the phone and deleting the pictures stinks of "secret police" tactics; if everything was really on the up and up, they should have had no problem with it being recorded.

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Oh the big, tough SWAT Agents must be so proud of themselves, killing a single baby deer./sarcasm

Bunch of disgusting gun toting psychos. Sure you're here to protect and serve. SUURE.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
I say fire them, AND their pussy of a boss. May a herd of deer run them through with their horns. You don't do that shit unless there's a damn good reason. And somehow, I don't think sheltering a baby deer is a very good reason.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
Okay, seriously... did any of you even fucking read the article? The fawn was tranquilized at the scene, and removed to be euthanized elsewhere.

Why the hell are none of you upset that the shelter took in a baby deer, which they had no training or legal ability to do, and kept it for two weeks instead of immediately turning it over to a facility with the training and resources to handle wild deer?

I mean, you're acting shocked that the police treated a facility full of criminals like a facility full of criminals. Because, you know, they were kind of committing a crime. Which makes them criminals. The fact they're not being charged or fined shows admirable restraint and respect for the fact that the people at the shelter believed they were doing a good thing. It doesn't change the fact they were breaking the law, and endangering both their own lives and the life of the fawn by trying to take care of an animal they were not trained or licensed to care for.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Because it's easier to be "OH FUCK THE POLICE! LOLOLOL!" then to actually act like rational thinking adults here.

Ironbite-seriously guys...stop.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• The Beast
The article also says that the setup with the fawn was temporary and the shelter had already arranged for her to go to a licensed facility. We don't know what difficulties they might have had finding and contacting such a facility; I know I wouldn't have a lot of idea where to start looking. I will admit that I overlooked the section that said the fawn was tranquilized there and taken elsewhere to be euthanized.

Legal or not, this raid was an entirely over-the-top reaction. You talk about the police "treating criminals like criminals", but there's a world of difference between people breaking the law while trying to do the right thing (this situation) and something like violent gang activity, which is more along the lines of what I would have expected this raid for. For all the article says, the people at the shelter might not have even known they were committing a crime.

This isn't a simple case of "fuck the police." This is a case of an overblown reaction to a minimal or nonexistent threat.

Offline doomcup

• Neonate
This is horrible. There is no question, at least in my mind, that the police went above and beyond their duties here. An innocent animal died because the police couldn't wait for the deer to be sent to a wildlife preserve and decided to justify spending taxpayer money on swat gear.

Sickening.