Author Topic: Feds shutdown MegaUploads.com  (Read 14257 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Feds shutdown MegaUploads.com
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2012, 05:48:49 pm »
I didn't realize that Megaupload was aware of the infringement, or that the employees deliberately contributed to it.  My bad.

On the other hand, if SOPA passes, all image-hosting and video-hosting sites are DEAD, thus ruining the chances of seeing any free user content on the Internet unless Angelfire makes a comeback.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2012, 05:56:17 pm »
And this is a good example of why SOPA is unnecessary.  The current laws make this plenty illegal.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2012, 07:19:48 pm »
And this is a good example of why SOPA is unnecessary.  The current laws make this plenty illegal.
I absolutely agree, but I'm gonna take your smite virginity anyway.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2012, 10:47:27 pm »
No!  Now everyone will think I'm a smiteslut!
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2012, 10:57:05 pm »
Join the dark side...
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2012, 11:53:26 pm »
Ah, I found out why the US government was able to do this.

Found out? You make it seem like you had to rummage for it. I posted it two pages ago.  Also, they didn't have servers in just the US. So, I think they should only be charged in the US for those servers that were on US soil. Most of their servers are in the Netherlands and will probably never have a single finger lifted against.

You also can't ignore the other facts like what actually pushed this to happen, such as the stupid 'not a real top 100' and 'no real search tool'.

Given that the site was already using US courts to file actions; given that the government had Megaupload e-mails talking about using US lawyers to file cases against other "pirate" sites; given that the site did at least take down content and built an abuse tool; and given that big-name artists support the site, the severity of the government's reaction is surprising.

Which is an agreeable concern.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:55:10 pm by Shane for Wax »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2012, 11:59:23 pm »
You also can't ignore the other facts like what actually pushed this to happen, such as the stupid 'not a real top 100' and 'no real search tool'.
These are not as stupid as they sound. The point is that these facts show that MegaUploads was actively trying to hide the popularity and amount of the pirated content.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2012, 12:00:20 am »
Except for the fact the search was fine and top 100s can be fucked up anyways depending on how you calculate.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2012, 12:28:34 am »
Except for the fact the search was fine and top 100s can be fucked up anyways depending on how you calculate.
The issue is not if the search worked or not but the fact that the search function was apparently not available on the actual MegaUpload site - the MegaUpload content searches were provided by third party sites. I'm not saying that these facts are even close to being evidence proof of wrongdoing when viewed alone but using them to support other, stronger pieces of evidence is far from being stupid.

Edited to be more precise.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:57:46 am by SCarpelan »

Offline Vene

• Pope
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2012, 12:45:02 am »
Ah, I found out why the US government was able to do this.

Found out? You make it seem like you had to rummage for it. I posted it two pages ago.
This is the only legitimate criticism you have of my post (and honestly, I read so much shit I can't keep track of where I found what most of the time).

Also, they didn't have servers in just the US. So, I think they should only be charged in the US for those servers that were on US soil. Most of their servers are in the Netherlands and will probably never have a single finger lifted against.
I never said it was just in the US, but since they broke US law while they were operating in the US, that means the US is able to act against the company.

Addressed already so I won't do it.

Given that the site was already using US courts to file actions; given that the government had Megaupload e-mails talking about using US lawyers to file cases against other "pirate" sites; given that the site did at least take down content and built an abuse tool; and given that big-name artists support the site, the severity of the government's reaction is surprising.

Which is an agreeable concern.
Okay, we have a hypothetical landlord. Said landlord knows of two different tenants (Bill and Ted) that are independently manufacturing meth, but only reports Bill to the police. Assuming for the moment that it is a crime to knowingly harbor meth labs on your property (it probably is, but I don't feel like looking it up) do you really think that when the cops decide to crack down on Ted's meth lab and find documents showing the landlord knows about Ted's methlab that saying 'but I reported Bill's!' is going to mean anything?

In other words, reporting one incident does not absolve you of responsibility to report another incident.

I'm not even going to bother with the celebrity endorsement because that is a completely bullshit argument as far as law is concerned and you should know that.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2012, 01:03:38 am »
That isn't the argument and you know it, Vene. None of the arguments are what you're presenting. Also, why are you arguing against me saying they should be tried via what is on the servers on US soil? That is also surprising.

Here, how's this for what is really being said:

Damn, that was some fucking surprising action that goes across multiple continents and oceans so suddenly and so severely!

Yes well, they knew it was wrong so it shouldn't be that surprising that this would happen.

You have to admit that it was a bit disturbing to see it happen so quickly and with such severity.

They knew it was wrong. Doesn't matter what the other things have to do with it. They should have expected it. Nothing changes the fact that while they were helping the government shut down other sites they were continuing with their own actions.

That isn't the argument. It has nothing to do with whether the holding of the material was wrong or whether a good action absolves a bad one it has to do with the multi-national offensive taken which people have gotten pissed about in the past.

Or am I totally high and this isn't how the 'argument' looks at all?

&

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:00:39 am by syaoranvee »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2012, 03:26:54 am »
Hm... RapidShare doesn't seem terribly concerned. It might help they're in f'ing Switzerland.

&

Offline Vene

• Pope
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2012, 10:11:37 am »
That isn't the argument and you know it, Vene. None of the arguments are what you're presenting. Also, why are you arguing against me saying they should be tried via what is on the servers on US soil? That is also surprising.

Here, how's this for what is really being said:

Damn, that was some fucking surprising action that goes across multiple continents and oceans so suddenly and so severely!

Yes well, they knew it was wrong so it shouldn't be that surprising that this would happen.

You have to admit that it was a bit disturbing to see it happen so quickly and with such severity.

They knew it was wrong. Doesn't matter what the other things have to do with it. They should have expected it. Nothing changes the fact that while they were helping the government shut down other sites they were continuing with their own actions.

That isn't the argument. It has nothing to do with whether the holding of the material was wrong or whether a good action absolves a bad one it has to do with the multi-national offensive taken which people have gotten pissed about in the past.

Or am I totally high and this isn't how the 'argument' looks at all?
For all I know you were high because I'm having a hard time deciphering what you are saying. In part because when someone says something is stupid and then continues to write it means they're trying to say why it is stupid.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:16:27 am by Vene »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2012, 10:13:30 am »
Then there's nothing further to be said because at this point it's a losing battle to try to get what I'm saying across. Because I must still be high because I've gone over it to make sure I am being rather clear in my true points.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:15:08 am by Shane for Wax »

&