Author Topic: "Voter fraud" laws could hurt Obama's chances at re-election  (Read 6914 times)

Offline Deus ex Populo

• Bishop
    • My Tumblr, for what it's worth...
"Voter fraud" laws could hurt Obama's chances at re-election
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:52:18 pm »
From Reuters:

New state laws designed to fight voter fraud could reduce the number of Americans signing up to vote in this year's presidential election by hundreds of thousands, a potential problem for President Barack Obama's re-election bid.

Voting laws passed by Republican-led legislatures in a dozen states during the past year have sharply restricted voter-registration drives that typically target young, low-income, African-American and Hispanic voters - groups that have backed the Democratic president by wide margins.

So, who's willing to bet this is the real reason all of these voter-registration laws were passed? I certainly know which side I'm leaning towards here...
"Scientific truth is beyond loyalty and disloyalty." - Hari Seldon, Foundation

"[A] blunderbuss or cannon is hardly likely to be used for a drive-by shooting."
- From Wikipedia

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Re: "Voter fraud" laws could hurt Obama's chances at re-election
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:57:08 pm »
Considering most of voter fraud in the last 2 years were committed by conservatives, of course this is an obvious attempt at stopping liberal voters.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:59:39 pm »
Considering most of voter fraud in the last 2 years were committed by conservatives, of course this is an obvious attempt at stopping liberal voters.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure when that one case of Democrat voter fraud in Indiana came out, there were people who conveniently forgot about the cases of GOP fraud and began screeching about how 'they were right all along' and that 'Democrats abuse the system the most.'

Saturn500

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 11:00:04 pm »
Ugh. The comments. THE COMMENTS. MY BRAIN!

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 11:38:31 pm »
When you need to actively prevent people from voting against you at every turn, maybe that's a sign your policies SUCK.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 04:51:43 am »
By design.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 05:31:41 am »
I thought ID's were already required to vote.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:10 am »

ID's cost money to get in America, so to require an ID for voting is a "Voter Tax", which is illegal.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:44:59 am »

ID's cost money to get in America, so to require an ID for voting is a "Voter Tax", which is illegal.

If you don't have ID, which every citizen should have in my opinion, what do you have? I would think it would be really easy for people to get away with all kinds of things if they don't have to show ID. Hell you cant get anything done here without a copy of ones ID, and proof of residence (bank statements and 3 months pay slips are optional). There must be some kind of ID proof that everyone has that certifies they are valid American citizens?

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:49:58 am »
Your information is checked when you register to vote.  If anything is amiss you don't get on the voter roll. 

I have not problem with ID's being needed, as long as they can be obtained free of charge.  I think Georgia will give free state ID cards. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 09:31:16 am »
There would probably be far more cases of voter fraud if IDs were not required.  That was the original point of requiring them in the first place -- so that someone couldn't just walk up and claim they were you, vote, and move on to a different polling place and claim they were someone else.

Offline Caeliys

• Neonate
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 10:10:20 am »
Lets not forget the transgendered voters who might no longer match their IDs and are unable to get new ones (some states require surgery for that).

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:39:09 am »
Lets not forget the transgendered voters who might no longer match their IDs and are unable to get new ones (some states require surgery for that).

Huh? A legal name change allows getting a new ID. (I got a new ID when I got my name changed 2 years ago.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 03:17:48 am »

In the last decade and a half, atleast
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 04:06:36 am »

Huh? A legal name change allows getting a new ID. (I got a new ID when I got my name changed 2 years ago.)

I think the issue is with the gender listed on the card. Though that wouldn't necessarily prevent someone from voting, assuming the people running the polls don't call the authenticity of the ID into question.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:08:28 am by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)