Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 389352 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2400 on: July 05, 2018, 05:56:44 pm »
Good riddance to that slimeball.

In other news, Trump's backpedaled on Roe v. Wade. He says he won't bring it up with SCOTUS nominees. Not surprising, given his notorious inconsistency.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2401 on: July 05, 2018, 06:36:26 pm »
Yeah but the guy who replaced him is pretty much in bed with the coal industry.

Ironbite-but I guess kicking out a paranoid loon was pretty good.

I think pretty much anyone who will work for this presidency isn't going to be a good candidate or even a good person.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2402 on: July 06, 2018, 01:57:35 am »
Good riddance to that slimeball.

In other news, Trump's backpedaled on Roe v. Wade. He says he won't bring it up with SCOTUS nominees. Not surprising, given his notorious inconsistency.

Bets on the GOP Senate confirming anyone who doesn't at least say to McConnell in private that Roe is dead the moment they're on the bench and hear a case?

EDIT: As for Pruitt, apparently he said in his resignation letter that Trump's election was "God's providence".

Honestly, at this point, given the apparent determination of the current US administration to destroy the environment (and Congress's complicity), I think there's an argument to be made that the rest of the world would be justified in invading the US and overthrowing its current regime on self-defence grounds.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:51:11 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2403 on: July 07, 2018, 05:45:21 am »
https://nordic.businessinsider.com/trump-personal-cellphone-call-canada-justin-trudeau-2018-7?utm_source=reddit.com&r=US&IR=T

A few things about this:

a) Trump has been making calls to foreign leaders on his own phone.

b) He has bypassed the protocol completely.

c) This is also illegal. He has broken a federal law and this is an impeachable crime.

d) That's not going to happen as long as the Republicans are still riding his dick.

e) The calls made on a civilian phone may have been compromised.

Furthermore, there were three theories about this on Reddit:

1) Trump is just really stupid and accidentally broke the laws and bypassed all his advisors.

2) Trump is not only really stupid but also shady and this was an attempt to go off the record due to nefarious reasons.

3) Trump is not stupid but he is shady. This was a way he could leak out national secrets to people who are listening to his calls and use "lol didn't know that there was an FSB van parked on the street next to me" as a defense because he is just pretending to be stupid.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2404 on: July 07, 2018, 09:55:51 am »
Why isn't this being widely reported? Holy shit. This is worse than the private email server.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2405 on: July 07, 2018, 12:39:10 pm »
Why would they report it? After all it's not like there was any real danger, like someone bringing phone surveillance equipment near the White House?

https://nypost.com/2018/06/01/feds-reportedly-find-surveillance-tech-around-white-house/

Oops...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2406 on: July 07, 2018, 03:25:14 pm »
Apparently he's been taking the calls in private, and when asked by heads in the white house about what was discussed during the phone calls he doesn't give very much information.
"It was a very amicable call." Is what he said about a call to Trudeau.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2407 on: July 07, 2018, 03:38:57 pm »
.....got to wonder how bad we've been compromised by now.

Ironbite-and how the GOP is gonna spin this.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2408 on: July 07, 2018, 03:46:15 pm »
Ironbite-and how the GOP is gonna spin this.

"But. Her. Emails."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2409 on: July 07, 2018, 04:14:29 pm »
So here's a fun trend:

With Trump slapping tariffs on goods coming from other countries (like Canada and China), those countries are, of course, enacting retaliatory tariffs. (Though I think they should also threaten to revoke pharmaceutical patents and entertainment copyrights.)

But they're doing it in a way that targets goods primarily produced in states that supported Trump and districts that have Republican representatives in Congress, particularly vulnerable incumbents. Agriculture in particular is taking a big hit.

It'll be interesting to see how this might impact upcoming elections--and if the Democrats can capitalize.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2410 on: July 08, 2018, 12:30:27 am »
Speculations on the SCOTUS nomination from a Republican who voted for Trump largely because of the extant vacancy and the possibility of replacing Kennedy and/or Ginsburg:

Looks like it's either going to be Brett Cavanaugh of the DC Circuit, Amy Comey Barret of the Seventh Circuit, or Raymond Ketheledge of the Sixth Circuit.

From everything I've seen and read, there's no wrong answers here, though the narrow margin in the Senate could make for some interesting political theater.

Who do you think it will end up being and why?

My money is on Ketheledge, because I see him as the pick the all 50 GOP Senators can get behind, and the only thing better than getting Dem Senator to vote for a nominee in this setting is watching all 49 Dems vote no and it not mattering.

--

"They say trolling liberals is not a party platform, but [he] here proves otherwise."

Personally I'd love to see what would happen if Democratic Senators stood up on the floor, started talking at length about all the shitty SCOTUS decisions already made (in which Kennedy joined Roberts et al--let's remember that Kennedy, on the whole, was a corporate hack who happened to agree with liberals on abortion and LGBT issues, which is definitely better than anyone Trump will put in but let's not pretend he was some great saviour), and refused to yield the floor for anything short of being physically dragged from the room.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2411 on: July 09, 2018, 10:47:31 pm »
And the winner is Kavanaugh. Show of hands, who's surprised that Trump picked another far right wing hack? No one? That's what I fucking thought.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2412 on: July 09, 2018, 11:47:47 pm »
Betting game: final Senate confirmation vote?

I say 53-46, the entire GOP (minus McCain), plus Manchin, Heitkamp, and Donnelly.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2413 on: July 10, 2018, 03:46:16 am »
At least he didn't choose the utter lunatic the religious loons wanted.

Apparently the guy's been disavowed by the entire religious right because he's not their kind of lunatic due to views on abortion, same sex marriage and some other stuff.

Sure he's a conservative judge, but from one analysis more like Judge Roberts than Antonin Scalia.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:51:08 am by niam2023 »
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2414 on: July 10, 2018, 03:55:53 am »
At least he didn't choose the utter lunatic the religious loons wanted.

Who was that? (I wasn't paying too much attention to the rumours of who he might choose.)

As for who the Democrats should target to try to block this (assuming they can hold their entire caucus, and I can name six off the top of my head who might flip--Manchin, Heitkamp, Donnelly, Tester, McCaskill, and Nelson), I'd look at Collins and Murkowski (because of Kavanaugh's stance on abortion), Paul (because of Kavanaugh's time in GWB's administration), and Heller (because he's extremely vulnerable).

It'd be really interesting to see what might happen if the vote looks to be 49 for, 50 against, because then the GOP can't win unless McCain shows up. But would McCain show up and vote in favour to let Pence break the tie, or would he show up and vote against to stick his thumbs in Trump's and McConnell's eyes again? (My money would be on the former.)