Author Topic: I think my laptop is fucked.  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
I think my laptop is fucked.
« on: August 20, 2017, 04:47:23 pm »
A week ago I started running into a bunch of BSODs. Like, 4. In a single night. I fiddled around, found some of my drivers were hopelessly outdated. Got them updated. Problem seemed to be fixed until yesterday. I literally lost count of the BSODs I ran into. Many were unexpected_store_exception errors, three or four were kernel_security_check_failure. There were some others I ran into as one-offs, but I can't remember them. Eventually I got to the point where I just said "fuck it" and did the factory reset. well... it got to the login screen, and froze. Mouse cursor moved, but nothing else happened (even to the point that unplugging it didn't make the charging/plugged in icon on the battery in the lower right corner go away). I let it run for about half an hour on this screen, just to let it think. Nothing. So I cut it off, hoping for better luck on the second try. Now I'm stuck in the ol' infinite reboot loop. I can get to a troubleshooting screen by holding F9 as the computer boots. But I can't system restore, or use a recovery point (which I HAD set up), or even launch the command prompt, because in resetting the system, it deleted my admin account (obviously) and now it doesn't detect any admin accounts, and you need to log into one to use any of those features. So, I ask you this simple question. What do? [/size](Laptop is an ASUS X550Z. Default everything.)[/color]
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: I think my laptop is fucked.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:26:28 pm »
Probably a bad hard drive. Would be a good excuse to upgrade to an SSD.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »
Its only 2 years old, though. how is the HDD already going bad? Also, any SSD's you'd recommend? The current HDD has a 2.5" form factor.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:31:20 pm by Svata »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 05:38:49 pm »
I once had a power supply start going bad after about eight months. Electronic equipment can start going bad at any time.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 05:41:23 pm »
Once I get a new HDD/SSD, how the heck am I gonna fix this? I don't have a disc, cause the laptop came with it preinstalled. Also, a friend elsewhere says it may be the RAM, because they don't think HDD cause boot loops. Also, I managed to trick it into doing a chkdsk on boot somehow, and it came out fine, but I'm back in the loop.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:58:02 pm by Svata »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 07:44:15 pm »
Honestly, you'd either need some steady hands and a few types of screwdriver, maybe a hex key, or if you don't want to risk replacing it yourself, you'd have to send it to a shop.  Of course, the shop would likely charge a premium.  Given what you've said, I think your RAM might be faulty; every once in a while, a chip or two comes out of the factory faulty and only starts acting up once they've been worn out enough.  There might be replacements available for your model, I'd check the manufacturer's website and see.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 10:18:51 pm »
I've upgraded RAM in a desktop before, I think I should be able to do it in a lap. Hell, I might just upgrade it. Newegg's got 16 Gigs of DDR3 ram for about a hundred bucks. (currently have 8 )
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:53:26 pm by Svata »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 10:31:00 pm »
Just make sure you nix the RAM that's already there.  Leaving the faulty bits will just make it keep happening.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 10:53:48 pm »
of course... Now I just need a ride to the bank.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 02:42:12 am »
Its only 2 years old, though. how is the HDD already going bad? Also, any SSD's you'd recommend? The current HDD has a 2.5" form factor.

As dpareja said, electronics can just say "fuck you, I don't wanna" some times. Especially hard drives. The most likely components on a computer to fail are the hard drive, the disc drive (if your computer has one) and the fans. Luckily, these are also usually the easiest and cheapest components to replace. Even on a laptop.

If you do choose to change out the drive, two things: 1) you can get a Windows installer from Microsoft for free. You just load the files onto any 4gb or bigger USB 2.0 flashdrive (which you can literally get for under $5) and you've got what you need to reinstall Windows. It's actually a heck of a lot easier than it sounds. The hard part is getting your Windows key, which, if you're lucky, will be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. If you're not lucky, the good news is that you can use the full features of Windows, save changing your desktop background and having a watermark in the corner, for free, forever.

2) Brand is less important than capacity, so long as you're going for a reputable brand (I personally have a PNY 1311, for the record). I only have a 128gb SSD because I have two 1tb hard drives, as well. While swapping out my disc drive for a second drive is something I have been considering doing to my laptop for the last few years, most laptops, especially newer laptops without disc drives, don't have room for a second drive. The advent of the m.2 slot has only been an excuse for manufacturers to make their laptops thinner, instead of the higher utility of having an m.2 SSD boot drive and an HDD storage drive. As such, the size of SSD and, unfortunately, the price will be determined by your needs. I personally wouldn't go lower than 500gb if this is going to be your only drive, but others, like my parents for example, use a grand total of 200gb of their 1tb hard drive.

TL;DR: Look at how much space you're using on your current drive before you decide which SSD to buy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:32:07 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 02:55:47 am »
In fairness on my power supply, when I took it into the shop, they said it probably had another three to four years on it. It was a very faint, very high-pitched sound (as in, beyond older people's hearing threshold high) that was just the first sign of trouble with the power supply, but enough that I got a replacement under warranty (ended up with a good Corsair for only the difference in costs).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 01:03:25 am »
It was in fact the RAM. New RAM installed, computer is mostly working. The install I had mentioned went bad, can't even run recovery, having to finagle my way around trying to fix, having to run in safe mode, but I couldn't even get it to do that before. Thanks for the help, I am better at troubleshooting software than hardware. I think I have it from here.

UPDATE: It work now. All is good and happy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:16:23 am by Svata »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 10:39:08 am »
Glad to help!  In my experience, the thing that lasts the longest on a computer is the HDD/SSD.  Makes sense, when you think about it, since its where all your important shit is stored.