Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 63465 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 12:19:59 pm »
Damn, Askold.
What? Isn't that how an average rpg session goes?

Oh, during our raid one of the players got to see how his character behaves in a real battle with the new system we are using.

"I picked the flaw 'coward' so does that mean that I can't fight at all?" "No, when faced with danger you just roll against your courage stat and if you fail, then you must flee if possible. If you succeed you can decide what the character does."

*One roll later the Bard is running away from the enemies, screaming like a little girl.*

Zoltan defeats his opponent with one blow (well, a thrust with spear against a charging rider) and our Noble lady has a long duel with her opponent but defeats him eventually. And the Bard later wrote an inspiring song about his heroic actions during the raid (and mentioned as a side note, that there were some lesser warriors who assisted him.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 12:27:37 pm »
No, it's just that the sheer scale of your actions impressed me considering how short the session was.

On another note, ever consider Dragonmech?
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 06:29:30 pm »
Double post, but the HYPE TRAIN was too strong.

So, there's rumors of the standard Space Marine power armour version (Mark VII Aquila) is to be replaced by a Mark IX version pretty soon. If it's true, I really hope it's a bit more sleeker than the massive PAULDRON fetish designs Games Workshop's done so, as it'd make a nice change of pace.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 01:46:09 am »
Double post, but the HYPE TRAIN was too strong.

So, there's rumors of the standard Space Marine power armour version (Mark VII Aquila) is to be replaced by a Mark IX version pretty soon. If it's true, I really hope it's a bit more sleeker than the massive PAULDRON fetish designs Games Workshop's done so, as it'd make a nice change of pace.

The massive pauldrons are part of their style. Apparently they also use it as a way to prove that some rivals are imitating them since the pauldrons are so xbox-huge (Then again, WoW also has the same damn huge pauldrons...)

Hadn't heard about Dragonmech before, I'm going to read about it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 01:47:26 am »
So my group has proven pretty good at creative thinking.

The party had to place four idols found within the dungeon on an altar to open the heavily fortified metal doors to the final treasure chamber. This area was guarded by a giant burning skeleton (extra damage to attacks, automatic damage to adjacent targets, explodes when killed) and I was hoping to beat the characters within an inch of their lives before it fell.

Instead, after seeing the skeleton, the inquisitor instantly removed one of the idols from the altar, sealing it back behind the door while the party devised a plan. When the inquisitor opened the door again, the fighter and cleric stood just beyond the door to lure the giant burning skeleton in, with the fighter hitting it with fairly significant damage along the way.

The inquisitor then removed the idol as soon as the skeleton entered the doorway. The heavily fortified metal doors closed, catching the skeleton between them and crushing it into bone dust.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:57:14 am by Random Guy »

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 10:20:21 pm »
Creativity is fine as long as it's grounded in common sense. In the hybrid campaign I mentioned my first character was an elf conman (an intelligent and charismatic rogue) with wisdom as a dump stat. The way I roleplayed this was that when planning I took the first clever sounding idea that came to my head and went with it even if I realized OOC the downsides when explaining it to others. Since he was the face of the party the others usually were satisfied with following the plan - the druid did grumble occasionally but usually just shrugged and agreed to try the idea.

Unfortunately, I ended up retiring that character after a couple of sessions just when I was learning to play him as I wanted so I never got to use the character's full potential. The reason was that the ranger's player realized she instinctively played her character more like a rogue than a ranger; when she had joined the game she had said that she has always played rogue and wanted to try another class but old habits die hard. Since we had problems with the party balance and needed a proper meat shield we decided that the most practical solution was that I retired my character allowing her to dual class into rogue. I created a new character whose concept I had already had in my mind as a backup. Ironically, thanks to her luck with dice, she has been a better ranger after taking two levels of rogue. She even keeps overshadowing the 3rd level druid in nature related tasks and has saved the party from his blundered rolls a couple of times. ("Next time you try to calm down an angry dire bear, perhaps you shouldn't stand between her and her cub.")

My new - and current - character? A human paladin, whom I made as a roleplaying challenge. The homebrewed world is a dark (but not grimdark) place and the DM doesn't use the alignment system at all. This gives interesting challenges for someone who truly tries to be a good person but is far from the stereotypical stick-in-the-ass paladin. The adapting of the paladin class in that world did take some minor tinkering and house rules but it has worked out fine. The character would be pretty badly nerfed in a high-optimization game but in the low-optimization game in a low level world I've really enjoyed playing her.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 10:56:05 pm »
Turns out the sleeker model of Powered Armour isn't Post-Heresy at all. But in other news, we're finally getting us a Deathwatch codex.  You too, can play as the military arm of the Ordo Xenos RACISTS IN SPACE.

I assume that said Deathwatch army will cost a shitload of points to actually play, but hey!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:59:57 pm by Second Coming of Madman »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 05:27:19 am »
Talked with a GM about one of the campaigns. We have a nation of horsemen encroaching on our kingdom from the east. So far they haven't been named in the game (no one thought to ask for their name.)

I finally asked the GM if I can just start calling them Mongols or Rohirmm. He said the locals just call them "the horse-fuckers from the East." To which I mentioned that the correct term should be Equine-Romantics.

...And thus the tribes of Eqrom were born. (I missed a perfectly bad Bronies joke.)

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 04:55:23 am »
We had two games on last weekend and things changed a lot.

One character found some cursed skis that took over and force her to ski until she can defeat the curse with her willpower or she dies from exhaustion. Or as she explained it, she found awesome red skis that are wonderful and made her realize how fun skiing is. You know, skiing for 48hours without a pause? Or going for a little skiing trip just for fun that lasts FOUR DAYS in a row and not realizing that there is anything strange in this? Skiing is love. Skiing is life. Nothing else matters... (She has been so close to death due to the curse...)

In other news the melancholic saga of Erkki "the unlucky" Lahi, the one armed hunter has finally reached an end that was, if not happy, at least appropriate.

After recovering from his injuries (apart from the missing arm of course) he was brought back home (and got accidentally shot in the back by another hunter, but he survived and recovered from that wound as well) there was a major religious celebration at the fort/town. Like many of those celebrations it included getting completely wasted with booze and overeating. Also wild extramarital sex was part of the celebration. (Old Finnish rituals, fuck yeah.) But since Erkki was not in mood for partying he just put on his clothes (with some help) and went into the forest all alone to have some privacy.

...You see, we roll for random happenings to the town and inhabitants and Erkki had managed to roll a "magical adventure" for himself (bunch of other characters got them in later sessions as well. Basically miniquests that offer some rewards to the person in question.) and as he wandered in the dark and snowy forest he heard someone cry. Tracing the sounds he found a young and not-appropriately-dressed beautiful woman sitting on a rock. He asked what is ailing her and if he may be of assistance and was told that it is too cold. (Get your minds of the gutter.) The problem was that the boulder she was sitting on was covered in ice so she could not return to her home (the boulder.) Erkki decided to help the damsel in distress by chipping the ice away.

*Roll 3d6, roll under target number to succeed* *Erkki needs 14 and rolls three sixes. Autofail and critical failure*

Erkki strikes the frozen boulder with the knife and accidentally stabs the rock. The woman screams and falls off the boulder, having been struck dead and Erkki notices that his wrist is bleeding as if he had cut it open. *Erkki rolls for first aid, with an extra dice since he only has one arm. 4d6 target number 9. Erkki rolls 6, 6, 5 and 6. Autofail and critical failure.*

And so Erkki bled to death in the middle of the forest, all alone with no one to help him. When the end came he wasn't even angry or sad, just confused at all the suffering that he had faced already and how his simple attempt at kindness was the cause of his death. Mildly amused at how much bad luck one person can have. Two days later, after noticing that Erkki was gone they finally found his body. No sign of the woman of course.

[The woman was a Nymph and had he managed to scrape enough ice away she would have rewarded him by healing his missing arm. Since the character was basically unplayable without the arm the GM would have turned him into an NPC if he had failed, but since the odds of having two crit fails was so low he decided to just kill him there and then. I agreed that it was a fitting end and had already declared that even though I won't have him commit suicide I will try to do something heroic and stupid that will either fix him or kill him.]

The joke is that now everyone thinks he killed himself.

Then I made a new character who is almost the opposite of Erkki. The one last thing I could mention was a little "whodunnit" mystery at the town... You see, someone was hitting people in the head when they went to take a piss at night and since waking up in a pool of your own piss and with a head injury is not anyone's kind of fun there was an investigation going on. Unfortunately only one of the victims had even seen anything (when he got knocked out for the second time....) and had failed in his awareness roll he accused someone who is NOT the criminal. *roll on the town inhabitant list.* He accuses... ERKKI!

What? We deduced that he must have seen an onearmed man and since Erkki (who had already been buried at this point) was the only one armed person they know the victim believes that Erkki has returned from the dead and is acting like a dick.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 04:22:29 pm »
http://shonsgamecorner.blogspot.com/2014_06_01_archive.html

I use this blog to post my adventures in All Things Zombie, Nuts (WWII), and Larger than Life, as well as other games from Two Hour Wargames.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 06:03:02 pm »
Damn, I must be really used to short-changed by Geedub's rapacious prices buying quality models for high prices, 'cause Dreamforge's miniatures are not only excellent in quality but not at all bad in price.

Brothers everywhere, raise your hands into the air!

Finally, I can get my threateningly Teutonic powered armor fix for cheap!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:08:42 pm by Second Coming of Madman »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 05:07:04 am »
That power armour does look nice. I like the massive gorget (and the much more sensible pauldrons that the GW marines have.)

...In the last night's session (not the campaign with the recently deceased Erkki) my character was standing at guard outside the camp as we were marching to war. There were something like 25 people total in the war party and we were the vanguard of baron's bigger army.

*things happen, a new town (really small one) is added to our province quite peacefully, sometime later Zoltan is standing at guard during the night*

[roll for awareness. Wow, that is a really bad roll.]
*Zoltan looks around for the other guard who seems to have gone missing.*
Zoltan: "Masa? Were you always a 2.5meters tall smelly creature that is completely covered in fur?"
Forest troll: "Murrr?"
Zoltan:"..."
Forest troll:"..."
Zoltan:"ALAAARM!"
Round 1, FIGHT!
Zoltan stabs the FOREST TROLL 1 with his SHARP, POINTY SPEAR, it is not very effective. The FOREST TROLL 1 swings his MASSIVE ARMS, the attack misses. Zoltan hits the FOREST TROLL 1 with his SHIELD, it is SUPER EFFECTIVE. The FOREST TROLL rolls on the ground and screams in pain having his toes on his RIGHT LEG smashed. The screams are REALLY loud and are answered by SEVERAL FOREST TROLLS. At this point everyone is awake and trying to find weapons and armour.

Solomon the Merchant equips sword, shield and chainmail. Juliisa the Knight has her page help her equip spear, sword (on belt), shield and chainmail. Mauri the Bard hides under his blanket.

Round 2, FIGHT!
Zoltan continues attacking the troll and keeps it on the ground. Unfortunately A NEW CHALLENGER HAS JOINED THE FIGHT: FOREST TROLL 2 ENTERS COMBAT. Since Zoltan (again) fails his awareness test a surprise attack nearly shatters his wrist and makes him drop his shield. FOREST TROLL 1 uses the opportunity to FLEE FROM COMBAT while Zoltan begins a more desperate battle against his new opponent (and by more challenging I mean that the troll does not get a second chance to strike as even with just one arm Zoltan utterly dominates the combat and eventually kills it all alone.)

Solomon gets out of his tent in full armour and sees three battles. Zoltan vs FOREST TROLLS 1 and 2. Two RANDOM MILITIAMEN vs FOREST TROLL 3 and FOREST TROLL 4 which is dragging Masa away from the camp. Deciding that Masa is the one who needs the help the most he charges the FOREST TROLL 4. Juliisa also joins the battle and decides to help her militiamen.

...Mauri finally manages to pass his courage check and runs out of his tent without weapons, armour and only clad in his shirt. (honestly, in a different setting he would have been wearing pink bunny slippers and pajamas.) He finds a spear and arms himself before remembering that he doesn't know how to use them (in real life he just didn't remember his skills but I like to think that the character was still panicking.) and after trading it for a dagger from another confused militiaman he joins battle.

In the meanwhile Zoltan has killed troll 2 and Juliisa is fighting troll 3 alone (militiamen got separated from her) so Zoltan charges it and together they finish it off (though Zoltan does get a crit fail and the troll injures him badly with a return blow.) Meanwhile Mauri helps Solomon defeat the last troll (Mauri manages to keep doing minimum damage and it takes a while before the troll even realizes that it is getting stabbed in the back.)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2015, 01:33:01 am »
So I just killed my best friend's character because I was upset about my players being good at things.

My Pathfinder game is currently running with six players at level 4. With that many, the average encounter would be a CR 5, so I had put together a fairly well-balanced adventure for them. As it turned out, all my encounters turned into one-sided fights in the party's favor. The cloaker was pinned to the ceiling by the wizard's web spell while the others turned it into a pincushion, the dretches were dispatched in 1-2 hits each, the rival adventurers were easily incapacitated by the alchemist's bombs, and the intelligent hallucinogenic fungus was hit several times before it could launch its spore attack. The latter still proved useless due to the characters all passing their fortitude saves, and the wizard destroyed it with his spells. The only success I had was when my best friend's cleric triggered a magic trap that dealt him 21 damage from setting up a "terminal velocity" loop of getting repeatedly teleported to the ceiling. And he told me that he only set it off because he was roleplaying his character's 7 Intelligence.

In short, I had set up a challenge which the characters had curbstomped. And I was getting frustrated. The party was almost to the final boss encounter, and I had failed to put anyone under any real pressure.  With that, I dropped the bomb.

My adventures usually end with "boss" encounters equal to the party's level +2, and so the original plan was to have two CR 6 assassin demons (Babau) with the young template scaling them down to 5, which together would be a moderately challenging CR 7. I gave them full-powered assassin demons instead for an 8th-level fight.

The results were not pretty. The fighter got knocked into negative HP, everyone else was heavily damaged as well, and worst of all, my friend's cleric actually died due to a full attack that included a critical hit from the demon's bite. The party eventually won and nobody seems to have any hard feelings about it (they still had fun and enjoyed the game), but I'm still feeling a bit guilty for snapping at them like that. Especially since my best friend got the worst of it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:37:20 am by Random Guy »

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 02:35:41 am »
*SNIP*

I guess you went with the challenge's intent here, though it definitely feels a bit extreme. However, I recognize that managing the murderous hobos may be a bit hard

As for those 40k fans among us, I'd like to bring some recent developments to your attention. Firstly, it seems that Ad-Mech are finally getting a proper army and codex. Let me repeat that, a proper army and codex. No side stepping in another army's codex, no 30k, no codex supplement. This is a true army for the Mechanicus.

Say hello to the forces of the Machine God.

(click to show/hide)

I particularly look the musket-like look of the Skitarii Ranger's Galvanic Rifles, it feels so Marsy to me.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 02:55:18 am »
You know, these look neat and all, and I'm not opposed to the idea of a Mechanicum army, but do we seriously need ANOTHER Imperium force? I get that they want to keep churning out Codices even after fully updating the game, but can't we see things like Tau Auxiliaries (we are apparently getting Kroot Mercenaries, so I guess that's something?) or, hell, a PROPER update for the Sisters of Battle? I wouldn't even be opposed to just getting the other three Chaos god out of the way with Tzeentch, Nurgle and Slaanesh Daemonkin. Khorne Daemonkin kinda spills the beans on those already. We know they're coming. There's no use in pretending otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:57:50 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?