Author Topic: #Shirtstorm  (Read 17549 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: #Shirtstorm
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2014, 11:21:52 pm »
Well, I'll never call a ship "her" again.
Danm feminazis  :(

FemiStasi- excuse me.

Feminazi is insufficiently culturally Marxist!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2014, 09:07:09 pm »
Okay, what exactly did this joke even mean?
Are you trying to say this will lead to the Jewluminati destroying America with PC?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:09:38 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2014, 09:10:33 pm »
They oppose Apple?

No guesses what that joke even means, it's just terrible.

Apologies to one and all.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2014, 09:33:41 pm »
I would also like to, again, tell paragon and Dpar not to make rape comparisons.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2014, 10:06:24 pm »
Wow.

Way to put words in my mouth, you two. I was joking about him comparing the satellite itself to a woman, unaware if it had any negative context. Also, female-based personification is...like really old.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2014, 10:14:26 pm »
Wow.

Yiff, you two. I was joking about him comparing the satellite itself to a woman, unaware if it had any negative context. Also, female-based personification is...like really old.
Huh? Oh, didn't completely get the context (Tbh i just skimmed the letter). I wasn't being serious about the Jewluminati.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2014, 10:24:19 pm »
Wow.

Yiff, you two. I was joking about him comparing the satellite itself to a woman, unaware if it had any negative context. Also, female-based personification is...like really old.
Huh? Oh, didn't completely get the context (Tbh i just skimmed the letter). I wasn't being serious about the Jewluminati.

Vhat.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2014, 12:35:24 am »
Paragon and Dpar pls acknowledge.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2014, 12:41:09 am »

FemiStasi- excuse me.

Stasi was insufficiently culturally Marxist! (It would have needed at least 22,3% more Marxsist culture!)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2014, 12:42:26 am »

FemiStasi- excuse me.

Stasi was insufficiently culturally Marxist! (It would have needed at least 22,3% more Marxsist culture!)
LONG LINES TO GET CANNED SOUP!
SHITTY CARS!
DEPRESSING BUILDINGS!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2014, 01:07:51 am »

Hi.

The point is that it's hypocritical to say that, on the one hand, there are things people don't deserve because of what they are wearing, and on the other that there are things that people do deserve because of what they are wearing.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2014, 01:23:45 am »

Hi.

The point is that it's hypocritical to say that, on the one hand, there are things people don't deserve because of what they are wearing, and on the other that there are things that people do deserve because of what they are wearing.
That's not hypocritical at all.

It's no different than saying it's wrong to kill someone for giving an opinion but it's okay to mock or criticize them.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2014, 02:12:23 am »

Hi.

That's not hypocritical at all.

It's no different than saying it's wrong to kill someone for giving an opinion but it's okay to mock or criticize them.

Nope. You're missing the point.

It's not that rape is comparable to criticism. It's that the defence of the action--that the person deserved it because of what they were wearing--is the same, and it's hypocritical to use that defence in one case and say it's invalid in another.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2014, 02:16:33 am »

Hi.

Someone wearing revealing clothing is expressing their own sexuality using their own body and even then people usually realize where and when it's appropriate to do so. By wearing the shirt the scientist was objectifying other people, not himself. This wouldn't be such a big issue if it wasn't a symptom of a greater problem. Erotic displays are fine in proper context but in this case him wearing the shirt was an example of the boys' club mentality in the community that's making many women uncomfortable. That mentality is is the ultimate target of the criticism, not the shirt itself. So yes, these are two different things and no, there is no hypocrisy.

The level of emotion and vitriol in the discussion is another thing altogether. People should be able to discuss this kind of issues more calmly and neither blame people unwittingly doing something inappropriate nor react too strongly to criticism. Too often people seem to have a black and white concept about issues like sexism and racism. If you point out that something a person does has meanings they haven't thought about doesn't mean that you think they are an exceptionally sexist or racist person.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2014, 07:23:57 am »
Nope. You're missing the point.

It's not that rape is comparable to criticism. It's that the defence of the action--that the person deserved it because of what they were wearing--is the same, and it's hypocritical to use that defence in one case and say it's invalid in another.

Well there is some fine detail there, on the one hand we are talking about rape and on the other we are talking about people saying that certain attire is inappropriate for work.

Someone getting negative feedback because the other person didn't like their clothes =/= someone getting raped and the rapist saying they did it because they really liked their revealing clothes.

Not the same. Is that controversial? No, I don't think so. Really not the same thing!