Author Topic: You can't stay cool at school  (Read 3328 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: You can't stay cool at school
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 06:26:31 pm »
There was a recent post on Tumblr about an 8th grade girl being told to roll her shirt down to avoid exposing her midriff during a field day in 85+ degree Fahrenheit weather (it was a sunny day, so the temperature was likely in the 90s despite the atmospheric reading), while the boys were allowed to practically undress.

Someone began flipping out at me for disagreeing with her (ironically, I think she's one of the more prominent female Tumblr MLP fans) about her statement that "Nobody should have exposed themselves in the first place" because it's "unprofessional" and we need to teach our kids that they need to dress appropriately and cover themselves as adults.

Bitch, I live in Florida. It was 93 today, minus the heat provided by the shining sun that turned me as brown as Kanye West in two days. People around here have no problems wearing Daisy Dukes and rolling up or even removing their shirts to avoid overheating. Quite a few work environments, especially ones that have you outside in 90+ degree weather, relax their dress code for the comfort of their employees. Even the military, the most infamously hardass job there is, lets its soldiers partially undress when they're working in a hot climate. They actually understand the threat provided by extremes of temperature, and often don't force the soldiers to wear full clothes and gear unless they're necessary for the protection.

The whole reason this "standard" exists is because we live in a society that continues to tell us that our bodies are a private, shameful thing that must be hidden, and we still teach our kids (especially boys) that exposed shoulders, stomachs, and bra straps are titillating and indecent in public. It has nothing to do with "being professional" and "having standards" and everything to do with society oversexualizing and shaming the human body.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 09:26:58 pm »
Besides, skimpy dress only titillating for some male students, and no, I'm not talking just about the gay ones, either.  Personally, I didn't really care for the traditionally skimpy (and, at times, downright stripperiffic) cheerleader/drill team uniforms.  Give me a woman in a smart suit over one in a halter top and miniskirt any day of the week.

The difference between me and these reprobates?  I don't enforce what I find attractive on everyone else.  Though, if I did and did so successfully, we'd all be classy-looking motherfuckers.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:42:33 pm »
Policy was the same at all the schools I attended. No sleveless shirts/dresses, no midriffs, and shorts no shorter than 4 inches above the knee. That last one always struck me as a bit discriminatory against tall girls. And the cheerleader uniforms, which were allowed to be worn, at all but one violated every one of those. Fucking hypocrites.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:50 pm »
Policy was the same at all the schools I attended. No sleveless shirts/dresses, no midriffs, and shorts no shorter than 4 inches above the knee. That last one always struck me as a bit discriminatory against tall girls. And the cheerleader uniforms, which were allowed to be worn, at all but one violated every one of those. Fucking hypocrites.

Dress codes, in practice, are almost always discriminatory against girls. Boys can typically get away with much more, up to and including toplessness, even if it's technically against the rules; administrators are more likely to let it slide when boys violate the dress code, while girls are almost always going to be the first ones struck by it.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:15 pm »

Dress codes, in practice, are almost always discriminatory against girls. Boys can typically get away with much more, up to and including toplessness, even if it's technically against the rules; administrators are more likely to let it slide when boys violate the dress code, while girls are almost always going to be the first ones struck by it.

True enough, but in eighth grade I got ISS for taking off my shirt after we were doing a surface tension experiment with eggs (the one where if you squeeze an egg longways it won't break), and my egg broke, because of a crack in the shell, and I got egg all over me. Apparently that's no excuse, even if you are outside.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".