Author Topic: Worse than Zimmerman SYG trial starts  (Read 3417 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Worse than Zimmerman SYG trial starts
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 10:59:36 am »
Last night, I watched about 5 or 6 hours worth of the trial videos. The crime had so many witnesses, and Dunn's behavior afterward of never calling the police, driving hundreds of miles, and having to be picked up at home next day when they traced his auto license tag, should pretty much clinch a conviction.

But....I saw how his defense attorney is building a little brick shit house made up out of tiny doubts, since there was no exterior video surveillance, and witnesses who aren't trained observers always have different perceptions and emphases when recalling a traumatic event like that.

To the credit of Jacksonville citizens, all the witnesses so far, both white and black, are clearly sympathetic to the victim. The most detailed eye witness testimony comes from a man who is socially a peer of Dunn; a middle aged contractor who co owns a big construction company that builds large apartment and condo communities. He's white, a local, very Southern, not a fan of loud music either.

He is the witness who heard Dunn yell angrily and saw him open fire into the victim SUV, saw Dunn continue to fire on the SUV as the driver was attempting to escape the gunfire, and he heard and saw when Dunn yelled at his female companion to hurry up and get in the car. This witness, Steven Duane Smith, comes off as intelligent and confident. He stuck by his word in testimony, not allowing the defense much at all in the way of critique and doubt building. His main emphasis was that though he heard Dunn yelling angrily, he did not hear the victim or anyone from the victim vehicle say or yell anything. He did not see anything remotely like a weapon through the open windows of the victim car. He was standing no more than 4 or 5 meters/15-20 feet away.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 10:29:22 pm »
Uncut copy of Dunn's police interview the day after the murder. He's not a redneck, and is coming off like a Milquetoast. At minute 28, the detectives start to explain the issues they have with his statement. It's epic. Not abusive, just heart felt exasperation at the stupid lies, and controlled outrage about an innocent kid being gunned down.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdFDgBeIx5o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdFDgBeIx5o</a>
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 04:45:54 pm »
Dunn takes the stand. If he gets let off, well, he better not quit his day job. Lousy actor. (What do you think, chitoryu? Give a trained actor's opinion, maybe?)

The Milquetoast persona cracks open for a split second when he recounts his story of the shooting, right past the 49 minute mark. Bit of a snarl there.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxBAIbVTPxs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxBAIbVTPxs</a>

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 07:22:44 pm »
So, the verdict came in:  Deadlocked and mistrial on the murder charge of Davis, guilty on three counts of attempted 2nd degree murder for the other passengers of the vehicle.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 08:54:42 pm »
So they agree he tried to kill the other kids in the car but can't agree that he killed Davis on purpose.

Ironbite-OPEN SEASON ON ALL BLACK TEENAGERS IN FLORIDA!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 08:58:55 pm »
So they agree he tried to kill the other kids in the car but can't agree that he killed Davis on purpose.

Or, at least, certain parts of Florida.  There are some areas where I doubt this would happen.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 08:59:06 pm »
HAH!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 12:02:10 am »

Regardless of this case, black teens need to be cautious. As it is, Dunn is looking at mandatory 20 years, maximum 30 years, on each of the three 2nd degree attempted murder charges. Unless the judge sentences him to serve those concurrently, he will die in prison. The State Attorney's office has every intention to retry the first count, of murder in the first degree of Jordan Davis. They are not seeking the death penalty, but basically that's life in prison, but I've no idea as to possible parole after some long minimum, but at least 20 years. Unlikely as minimum sentences are for him, that would still at least 20 years if serving concurrents, making Dunn 67 before possible release. Guys like that do not last long in prison, though. The stress is too much for them, as they have no life experience in coping within tough environments, and many are already in mediocre, middle aged flabby condition with early heart disease.

TLDR - Dunn is going away for good.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 12:22:43 am »
Well as of right now he got away with murder.

Ironbite-seriously fucked up if he serves everything concurrently.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 12:29:59 am »
Angela Corey, the State DA who tried the case, is a bulldog with a grin in court. She's going after Dunn on that first degree murder of Davis. The judge is level headed, and he looked a bit depressed by the mistrialed charge on Jordan Davis' murder. I don't think he's gonna let Dunn have any special consideration.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:10:07 pm by mellenORL »

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 03:26:22 pm »
Well as of right now he got away with murder.

Well, sorta.  It's not like he got an innocent verdict, which would kinda keep him from being able to be tried again.

Having said that, I'm a bit curious as to why this was declared a mistrial.  Was it because the jury was deadlocked?  I gotta be honest that I haven't been following this case that closely.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 08:46:22 pm »
Mostly I think they were trying to determine if there was a credible threat or if this moron thought there was.  While I'm happy it's a mistrial, I'm pissed that it's a mistrial.

Ironbite-should just be guilty.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 08:13:53 pm »
Florida GOP Official Slogan: The weak and infirm are not wanted, kill all the lesser men you wish, just claim self defence and we'll bankroll your release.

Tear down decency and thinking, replace with obedience.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer