Author Topic: Worse than Zimmerman SYG trial starts  (Read 3431 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Worse than Zimmerman SYG trial starts
« on: February 05, 2014, 11:24:00 am »
Here we go again. This time, the incident has multiple witnesses, and looks like an undeniable intended murder...but it happened in, and will be tried in, Jacksonville, a very conservative city in northern Florida.

TL;DR - So, a middle aged white dude can't stand loud music, even for just a few minutes while in a convenience store parking lot. He drove up and parked next to the "offending" vehicle, did a "Get Off My Lawn"-style old man rant, then shot an unarmed kid dead during the argument.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/echoes-of-zimmerman-expected-in-fla-trial?ocid=msnnws

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/trial-opens-for-man-who-killed-teen-over-loud-music

I have depressingly little hope for a decent verdict.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Worse than Zimmerman SYG trial starts
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:29:43 am »
He's saying there was a weapon though.  Hence the SYG defense.

Ironbite-might not fly in the face of actual eye witnesses.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 11:32:43 am »
I'd actually heard about this and despite my lack of hope when it comes to a conviction (see: conservative and Jacksonville, FL) I am still holding out hope that he'll get the book thrown at him, especially considering there's eyewitnesses to this one.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 11:36:07 am »
Yeah but they're black so who knows what'll happen.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 11:38:22 am »
There really needs to be some reform of Stand Your Ground laws.  I support the basic principle, but the way they're written, they're far too open to incidents like this.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 11:39:21 am »
If his attorney does indeed use SYG, and the jury does convict, it will have a huge positive impact against these horribly misused laws.

This part of one article really made me cringe;
Dunn's attorney, Cory Strolla of West Palm Beach, said in an email to The Associated Press on Friday that his client "feels that he was the victim of a political system pressured to appease a certain body of constituents."

"It has been a very long and tenuous year for my client, spent in isolation in the Duval County jail. Mr. Dunn has been continually threatened, harassed and tormented by inmates for over a year now, and has received almost no mental health counseling by staff," Strolla wrote.

Davis' mother, Lucia McBath, said that before her son's death, she never thought much about guns or Florida's "stand your ground" self-defense law that Dunn has hinted he will use at trial.

"I couldn't understand what or who he was defending himself against," she said. "In this regard, there was no credible threat to him whatsoever."

The church-going Davis was a good student, had never been arrested or in trouble and was thinking about going into the military, his parents said.
Cory Strolla is doing his job as defense attorney, I know, but he just landed at the top of my shit list.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:01:24 pm »
It is so hard to be judged for what you are seeing people thinking that you look like a criminal.  Maybe he should wear a hoodie

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 01:21:58 pm »
Let's hope the prosecution doesn't intentionally throw the case like they did with Zimmerman's trial.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:24:53 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 02:26:27 pm »
Dang.  That's quite a case.

You know, even if we "give this guy the benefit of the doubt" and assume that he thought he saw a shotgun barrel, SYG laws are flawed on a very basic level.  It gives people permission to shoot based solely on their perception of a situation.  It doesn't matter if the danger is imagined or not.  Even if you strip the possibility of a racial motive (which I'm not saying you should do), there's the very basic problem of allowing people to shoot based solely on paranoia.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 02:57:25 pm »
Can we call this the "it's coming right for us!" defense?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 06:37:40 pm »
Can we call this the "it's coming right for us!" defense?

Yes.  Yes we can.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 02:15:17 am »
Well if the SYG works the way I got the impression, this would count as a Stand your ground scenario. No seriously, if all you need is to "feel that your life is in danger" then all he has to do is say that he was scared of those teenagers.

Does it matter if he put himself in that situation on purpose? It didn't for Zimmerman.

Does it matter if the "gun" he saw was a stick or just a finger? As long as he THOUGHT he saw a gun he was still afraid.

I mean if the law says that all you need for SYG is to be in fear of your life, then all he needs is his own word that he felt afraid of those teenagers that he specifically went to pester and he therefore had the right to shoot them.

So unless I'm mistaken about the law (and lets face it, both the people for and against SYG love to misrepresent it to suit their own agenda) this is a standard SYG situation and an good example of why that law is so horrible.

As a side note, apparently 22 states in USA have some variation of it and 46 in total have either SYG or Castle doctrine. So I guess I won't be going to USA anytime soon.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 10:45:41 am »
Essentially the law is if you are scared IE Black people

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 09:35:34 pm »
http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/opening-statements-in-fla-loud-music-death-trial

There were several witnesses besides the kids in the victim car.

A witness said he pulled up to the convenience store and went inside where the music was loud enough to be noticeable in the store. When Steven Smith went outside, he said he noticed the music had stopped.

Smith said he heard someone from a Volkswagen Jetta say, "Nope, you're not going to talk to me that way." Smith testified that he then saw a man reach into the glove compartment through the passenger window, pull out a pistol and fire into the SUV.

The SUV started driving off and Smith said he noticed bullet holes in the side of the car.

Smith said he never saw anyone with a weapon in the SUV.

Here's a YouTube account upload list of the raw video as recorded by the Duval County courthouse cameras, not a slick, produced feed with news caster commentary, so feel free to scroll through the boring bits.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NextLevelSportsVideo/videos?sort=dd&view=0&flow=grid

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:16:43 pm by mellenORL »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 12:27:52 am »
Is it illegal to kill black people, or not? That is what is being decided.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR