Author Topic: Woman takes $2.87 from a fountain to feed herself, gets charged with theft  (Read 1888 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2013/10/hungry-woman-arrested-for-taking-287-from-public-fountain.html

An unemployed Ohio woman is facing petty theft charges after being spotted taking change from a fountain in order to buy a meal.

Dierdre Romine reportedly took $2.87 in coins from a fountain outside the Logan County Courthouse in Bellefontaine, Ohio on Oct. 7.

"I'm trying to feed myself and I've got four cats I'm raising and I'm trying to feed them," she told WBNS-TV.

I have to wonder what the courts could actually get done if they weren't stuck with cases like this.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Who pressed charges, the fountain fairy?

Seriously though, I just bet someone's going to use her four cats against her in court.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Who pressed charges, the fountain fairy?

Seriously though, I just bet someone's going to use her four cats against her in court.

There are already a couple in the comments who zeroed in on the cats.  Also:

Some folks fast for weeks on end.
Hello Ramadan!

In this part of the world, no one ever dies from starvation these days.

Yes, we can control our desires.
Let's see how this one case unfolds.

@moulding actually, people die of starvation and malnutrition every day in Canada and the USA, mostly the elderly. The social safety net is very thin in some places.

@aworker:

Not sure if this is so.

Remember, when old age creeps up, even the most balanced or expensive foods will not save a frail body wasting away.

Old age, my friend, Old Age.

All of us will go to the great beyond some day.

I don't know of anyone who hasn't succumbed to senescence.

Oh look, an asshole who thinks he's deep and wise by denying that people can die like animals in a wealthy country due to poverty.  "Who gives a fuck about the elderly?  They're close to death anyway, right?  Why help them delay death?"

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
From a fountain that money is useless the mall doesn't come by and pick it up

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
The law, in its majesty, is impartial and even-handed.  One of the 1% who took $2.87 from the fountain would also be charged.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
True, but then he's call his friend the judge and his attorney and the charges would be dropped the same afternoon.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
 if he's well dressed and white actually they wouldn't charge him they'd ask him to stop or somethng not go straight to the cops

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
The law, in its majesty, is impartial and even-handed.  One of the 1% who took $2.87 from the fountain would also be charged.

A poor person who, like the 1%, stole a mere hundred billion dollars would likewise get a golden parachute.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!

A poor person who, like the 1%, stole a mere hundred billion dollars would likewise get a golden parachute.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
And you just know there's going to be some idiot who think she's getting what she deserves because "rules are rules" or some bullshit.