Author Topic: TV Shows  (Read 139654 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: TV Shows
« Reply #450 on: March 06, 2014, 08:10:54 am »
I think he was referring to any case where Troi had her mind or body invaded/manipulated against her will, regardless of whether it was literal rape. Of course, her being an empath/weak telepath justifies many of the mind-related plots (Eye of the Beholder, The Survivors, etc.), but the more questionable ones are still worth noting, especially in light of all of the other issues surrounding the treatment of her character.

Granted. However, if "forced mind/body invasion" counts as rape, it would also apply to:

Picard ("The Best of Both Worlds," "The Inner Light," "Chain of Command")

Riker ("Frame of Mind")

Data ("The Schizoid Man," "Brothers," "Power Play," "Descent," "Masks")

Geordi ("The Mind's Eye")

Pssh, silly man.  Don't you know that its impossible for men to be raped or otherwise violated because privilege?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #451 on: March 06, 2014, 07:24:45 pm »
Anybody else seen Carnivale? Oldish show. Up to the 10th episode and I like it decently despite the slow pace
I've seen it! Then again, I take partial blame for getting you to watch it in the first place, so...

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #452 on: March 08, 2014, 11:53:08 am »
I think he was referring to any case where Troi had her mind or body invaded/manipulated against her will, regardless of whether it was literal rape. Of course, her being an empath/weak telepath justifies many of the mind-related plots (Eye of the Beholder, The Survivors, etc.), but the more questionable ones are still worth noting, especially in light of all of the other issues surrounding the treatment of her character.

Granted. However, if "forced mind/body invasion" counts as rape, it would also apply to:

Riker ("Frame of Mind")

Pssh, silly man.  Don't you know that its impossible for men to be raped or otherwise violated because privilege?

Those characters were never ALSO physically violated in a sexual manner.  When Troi has been and you also keep repeatedly having stories about her being violated in other ways I find it a tad disturbing.

Also I was unaware that finding repeated physical and mental violations of a fictional female character to be uncomfortable made me some kind of dickhead SJW who is dismissive of real life male sexual assault victims and justifies holding retared views by shouting "privilege!".  Especially as I have never used that word on this board nor expressed anything remotely like that.  WTF??

Someone remind me why do I keep coming back to this place?  I swear everybody is on crack or something.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #453 on: March 08, 2014, 01:13:41 pm »

Riker ("Frame of Mind")

Those characters were never ALSO physically violated in a sexual manner.  When Troi has been and you also keep repeatedly having stories about her being violated in other ways I find it a tad disturbing.

Also I was unaware that finding repeated physical and mental violations of a fictional female character to be uncomfortable made me some kind of dickhead SJW who is dismissive of real life male sexual assault victims and justifies holding retared views by shouting "privilege!".  Especially as I have never used that word on this board nor expressed anything remotely like that.  WTF??

Someone remind me why do I keep coming back to this place?  I swear everybody is on crack or something.

Yeah, I'm 99.99999% sure it's mocking SJWs, not you. We've seen lots of people from Tumblr saying men can't be raped.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:15:12 pm by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #454 on: March 18, 2014, 03:26:22 pm »
Just watched the latest Teen Wolf episode.

Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't seen it.
(click to show/hide)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #455 on: March 25, 2014, 02:20:59 am »
Anyone else catch the first couple episodes of Resurrection? It's pretty interesting so far.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline JackBauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Neonate
  • Jack's back!
« Reply #456 on: March 26, 2014, 07:09:16 pm »
Anyone else catch the first couple episodes of Resurrection? It's pretty interesting so far.

Yes - hard to guess where this is going...

Anyone seen 'Crisis'? This has possibilities....

Then, of course, there is 'From Dusk til Dawn; The Series'... Go, go Geckos!
Part pirate, part wolf.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #457 on: March 26, 2014, 09:39:54 pm »
I saw from dusk till dawn, quite delicious. Smacks of tarantino
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #458 on: April 07, 2014, 10:02:05 pm »
Crisis looks good, but I wonder how they'll keep it going.

Also, I've spent the last month or so archive bingeing on The West Wing. Awesome show. The first episode has the President make his entry by quoting the First Commandment, then tearing some fundies a new one.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #459 on: April 08, 2014, 05:08:10 pm »
Working my way through Falling Skies.

It's not exactly the best programme ever made, but for some reason I still feel compelled to watch it.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #460 on: April 08, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »

I haven't watched it, but my mother has watched the original French show that it was based off of.

She really enjoyed it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #461 on: April 10, 2014, 10:39:46 pm »
I'm making my friend watch the anime for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in exchange for him making me watch Avatar: The Legend of Korra.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #462 on: April 10, 2014, 10:56:52 pm »
I'm making my friend watch the anime for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in exchange for him making me watch Avatar: The Legend of Korra.

Ah, JoJo.  When Vogue meets Fist of the North Star.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #463 on: April 13, 2014, 03:39:13 pm »
I'm watching Justice League and I'm starting to notice something interesting: during the two part episode "Fury", when a rouge Amazon tries to poison every man on earth, the city of Gotham (and Metropolis, presumably) is still able to function. There are enough female medics, firefighters, police officers, etc to keep the city safe and functional. There's definitely strain, simply because they're down to half-ish strength, but they've got enough manpower (pardon the pun) to keep the city going at least short-term. The thing about this that really caught my attention? This egalitarianism carries through in the rest of the episodes. There's a roughly equal number of men and women in crowd scenes, an equal number of male and female civilian personnel, and a less lopsided ratio of male League members to female ones. It seems like a stupid SJW-ish thing to get excited about, but considering how rare this is media in general and superhero media especially, it's very encouraging.

Edit: which makes the episode I'm watching now, "Legend", especially cringe-worthy. (It's based on an in-universe 50's comic book, which means there's rampant 50's racism, sexism, and kid sidekicks. The Flash is having waaaaay too much fun.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:50:32 pm by Saving Fish From Drowning »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #464 on: April 13, 2014, 03:46:00 pm »
I'm watching Justice League and I'm starting to notice something interesting: during the two part episode "Fury", when a rouge Amazon tries to poison every man on earth, the city of Gotham (and Metropolis, presumably) is still able to function. There are enough female medics, firefighters, police officers, etc to keep the city safe and functional. There's definitely strain, simply because they're down to half-ish strength, but they've got enough manpower (pardon the pun) to keep the city going at least short-term. The thing about this that really caught my attention? This egalitarianism carries through in the rest of the episodes. There's a roughly equal number of men and women in crowd scenes, an equal number of male and female civilian personnel, and a less lopsided ratio of male League members to female ones. It seems like a stupid SJW-ish thing to get excited about, but considering how rare this is media in general and superhero media especially, it's very encouraging.
Actually, that's pretty cool. Especially considering the episodes villain is a straw-feminist type character.

I suppose if you ignore the sociopathic clowns gotham has some benefits to it.