Author Topic: TV Shows  (Read 139818 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: TV Shows
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2013, 04:19:44 am »
I've been meaning to catch up with Futurama, Venture Brothers, & now I see that Code Lyoko has a sequel series, so I plan to check that out.

In the meantime, I'm watching Digimon Adventure, Digimon Tamers, & Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Legend of Korra when it comes back in September.

I've also recently thought of checking out Game of Thrones, but I'm clearly currently too busy being a manchild.

Futurama's a good one to work your way through, since it's the final season airing now (and yes, it's for good this time.  Groening and the rest have said "we've been expecting to get cancelled since we got brought back.  We're done, but damn if we're not going to go out with a bang") and from what I can tell, the entire show is on Amazon prime, up to the current season and all.  New episodes seem to pop up there the week after they air.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2013, 07:44:33 am »
I've been meaning to catch up with Futurama, Venture Brothers, & now I see that Code Lyoko has a sequel series, so I plan to check that out.

In the meantime, I'm watching Digimon Adventure, Digimon Tamers, & Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Legend of Korra when it comes back in September.

I've also recently thought of checking out Game of Thrones, but I'm clearly currently too busy being a manchild.

You're only a manchild if you talk about how the shows are clearly meant for adult men and that well-written plots don't belong in little girl shows.

Futurama & Venture Brothers fit that category.

Legend of Korra is late teens, Meelo be damned.

Digimon is probably preteens/early teenagers.

Oh, also Angel. I've decided to at least try Angel at some point. But that's a bitch because, unlike the others, it's an hour AND not on the air.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2013, 02:09:44 pm »
Buffy's an hour show, innit?

Angel IS on the air, but at an ungodly time of the morning.  I think about 5 AM if I remember correctly.
It really is worth a look.  If you like Buffy, you'll probably like Angel too. 

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2013, 02:58:27 pm »
For a moment, I got excited that some digital distribution service for television programs (like Netflix, which I use, and Amazon Prime, which Cerim uses) picked up [Avatar] The Legend of Korra. It's just a new season coming, and I haven't seen a single episode beforehand. Oh well, it still gives me the incentive to watch through Avatar - The Last Airbender.

Also, I'm also eagerly awaiting a day when Netflix picks up Gravity Falls and Season 2 of Aventure Time. And since Cartoon Network also put on much of its Adult Swim programming on Netflix, I would love to see Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Moral Orel, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2013, 01:15:00 am »
Buffy is an hour, but Chiller airs it. This means that the time it'd take to boot it up on my computer is irrelevant, because I don't have to. I've not found any network that airs Angel. If you know the network, time isn't a problem, as I've got myself a fancy new DVR.

The thing about Angel, my interest in Buffy kind of waned through Season 6. Though I liked Season 7, the fact that continuity pretty much died with the Mayor, & then was buried with Sunnydale, coupled with some of the nonsense I've read about the comic continuations put me off of those. Unless they revive Tara. I don't have a problem. Add to that the fact that my friends say that Angel sucks & the whole "law firm from Hell" plotline sounds like the kind of derpy stuff that put me off of the continuations, you can see why I'm skeptical.

wrightway

« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2013, 01:35:03 am »
TNT airs "Angel."

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2013, 01:39:46 am »
Buffy is an hour, but Chiller airs it. This means that the time it'd take to boot it up on my computer is irrelevant, because I don't have to. I've not found any network that airs Angel. If you know the network, time isn't a problem, as I've got myself a fancy new DVR.

Righto then.  Angel airs on TNT from 5am to 6am.  What's on the guide for my DirecTV says the current episode is "Underneath". Season 5 since Spike's with them.

The thing about Angel, my interest in Buffy kind of waned through Season 6. Though I liked Season 7, the fact that continuity pretty much died with the Mayor, & then was buried with Sunnydale, coupled with some of the nonsense I've read about the comic continuations put me off of those. Unless they revive Tara. I don't have a problem. Add to that the fact that my friends say that Angel sucks & the whole "law firm from Hell" plotline sounds like the kind of derpy stuff that put me off of the continuations, you can see why I'm skeptical.
I didn't really see that as being a problem.  Seems like Angel did more of the continuity stuff than Buffy.  At any rate, I never found it derpy.  I don't see why your friends think the show sucks.  I personally like it more than Buffy, though I really like both shows a great deal.  All I can tell ya is give the show a chance.  You may like one season more than another.  Either way... have fun. :)
Oh, and I don't really consider the comics much when grading the show proper.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:41:22 am by SpaceProg »

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2013, 04:10:21 am »
Oh, I forgot mah animez. My TV hasn't been working for so long that I kind of forgot I could watch things on it. Toonami is running, among other things, some show called "Sword Art Online" which seems like a lamer version of .hack//SIGN & uncut Naruto, which I'm going to watch until roughly the timeskip, when all that filler bullshit happens & I started hating the main plot anyway.

I don't see why your friends think the show sucks

Never asked.

Righto then.  Angel airs on TNT from 5am to 6am.  What's on the guide for my DirecTV says the current episode is "Underneath". Season 5 since Spike's with them.

That means it should be resetting soon. Perfect, I'll set it to record when I get the chance. Is it every day? Does it show more than one time? Not really necessary information, just helps me get it set up so that it records the episodes in order.

You may like one season more than another.

Probably. If I had picked up Buffy on Season 1 or 6, I probably would have dropped it, but Seasons 2, 3, & 7 were my favorites.

Oh, and I don't really consider the comics much when grading the show proper.

Neither do I, but I was thinking of picking them up because apparently they tell the origin story, how that whole "word full of Slayers" thing works out, & other things. I'm aware of the movie, but it was apparently plagued with executive meddling, so nope.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2013, 04:23:21 am »
some show called "Sword Art Online" which seems like a lamer version of .hack//SIGN

I think that is the most concise summation of Sword Art Online I have ever seen. Also, why is the word art in there?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2013, 04:25:10 am »
some show called "Sword Art Online" which seems like a lamer version of .hack//SIGN

I think that is the most concise summation of Sword Art Online I have ever seen. Also, why is the word art in there?

That's the most benign anime title you could question.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2013, 05:25:01 am »
Quote from: Lithp
That means it should be resetting soon. Perfect, I'll set it to record when I get the chance. Is it every day? Does it show more than one time? Not really necessary information, just helps me get it set up so that it records the episodes in order.

I don't think it shows more than once a day.  I believe it airs on TNT from 5-6AM every weekday.  As far as weekends go, I don't know.  The guide on DirecTV doesn't quite reach the next coming Saturday.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2013, 06:54:07 am »
It'd mostly be a problem on Sundays, where it might conflict with Buffy. Going off of TNT's somewhat confusing online schedule, I think it's every weekday, with the first episode airing in a week or 2.

Probably because the premise of the game is that you have to actually do the proper motions to attack. "The art of swordsmanship." It also sounds marginally better than "Swords Online."

wrightway

« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2013, 01:09:50 pm »
It'd mostly be a problem on Sundays, where it might conflict with Buffy. Going off of TNT's somewhat confusing online schedule, I think it's every weekday, with the first episode airing in a week or 2.

I looked it up on my dvr. It's Monday through Friday. It shouldn't intersect with your Buffy recording at all.

Edit for visualization fail.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:21:38 pm by Brain Fritz »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2013, 02:44:30 pm »
I can't watch Sword Art Online.  I've tried but the whole thing is so bleak and depressing that even episodes with a genuinely happy ending depress me.

I don't even know why it bothers me so much. 

And no, I've never watched Evangelion and I don't plan to.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2013, 04:11:59 pm »
I can't watch Sword Art Online.  I've tried but the whole thing is so bleak and depressing that even episodes with a genuinely happy ending depress me.

I don't even know why it bothers me so much. 

And no, I've never watched Evangelion and I don't plan to.
That's largely the same reaction I had when I tried to watch Wolf's Rain, which everybody raves about and thinks I'll love, for reasons that one would think are obvious. Oddly, I just have a really hard time watching it. I don't know what it is about it, but it makes me extremely uncomfortable for some reason.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!