Author Topic: CBC News - "Via terror plot suspect says Criminal Code 'not a holy book'"  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Xander Zzyzx

• Apprentice
  • Now with 25% more devil
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/04/24/via-train-terror-plot.html

All right, this is priceless. One of the terrorist suspects involved in a plot to derail a VIA Rail passenger train in Quebec, claims that the Criminal Code of Canada should not apply to him because it's not his "holy book".

Well, guess what? Welcome to Canada, my country! The Koran does not run the government here, nor does any other holy book. This is a secular country for good reason. If you want Sharia law, then why the fuck did you come over here in the first place? Also, see fundies? This is why it's best that we are not a theocracy, because then any whack-job with a holy book would be jockeying for control of the country, and imposing their control over the rest of us.

*EDIT* I don't know whether to put this under Religion or Politics, since the suspect is using religion to try and get out of conviction.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:29:36 pm by Tiado »

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
After reading the article I consider this to be more of a political topic than a religious one since the suspects are arguing more from politics, using their religion, to not get convicted for terrorism charges.

So I am going to move this to Politics and Government.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Xander Zzyzx

• Apprentice
After reading the article I consider this to be more of a political topic than a religious one since the suspects are arguing more from politics, using their religion, to not get convicted for terrorism charges.

So I am going to move this to Politics and Government.

Sounds good. Thanks for putting it right.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
So wait, if I'm understanding this correctly, he's saying that you can break whatever laws you want as long as they don't break any of the rules of your own holy book? o_O
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
If he starts spouting conspiratard sovereign citizen BS, just shoot him. 

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
It's not how reality works but hey, whatever gets him that insanity conviction.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
the penal code ain't my holy book either, but hey. i still follow its spirit, if not always the letter.

... the spirit of the penal code is "don't be a dick-mold", right?
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Xander Zzyzx

• Apprentice
It's not how reality works but hey, whatever gets him that insanity conviction.

I wonder if that is what he's trying to go for, an insanity conviction.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
No, he's trying to make himself a martyr and inspire other Muslim extremists by discrediting the civil government.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Xander Zzyzx

• Apprentice
No, he's trying to make himself a martyr and inspire other Muslim extremists by discrediting the civil government.

Yeah, that's more likely. :/