Author Topic: Real Life Fundies  (Read 23122 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Real Life Fundies
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 05:04:52 pm »
Think the closest I got to real life fundie was one guy handing out those "The Rapture will come on May 21st 2011" people. I took one of the leaflets so I could keep it after the date and totally prove him wrong.

I don't think it would have convinced him. He probably would have said something like, "But Armageddon math is hard!"
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 05:50:42 pm »
And when the Rapture didn't happen what'd you do?

Offline myusername

• Bishop
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 05:51:16 pm »
The guy didn't come back.  :P

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 12:47:48 am »
We used to have this lady at my work who I mentally nicknamed "fire and brimstone".  She was a super elderly woman who was a major fundie and hated anything non-christian.  I remember one time I held the door opened for her and she told me, and I QUOTE: "Aw, thank you dearie.  My God give you a wonderful day in this vile, sinful, dispiciable, rotting, scum filled world."
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Servo

• Bishop
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 02:04:09 am »
Haven't encountered any real-life fundies... but last week when I was in the city, there were two or three people loitering on a busy street just blabering on about being saved by Jesus, the Apocalypse and on and on, with a microphone and speaker.

I was also given a flyer by someone promoting personality tests at a Scientology center, does that count?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:29 am »
Haven't encountered any real-life fundies... but last week when I was in the city, there were two or three people loitering on a busy street just blabering on about being saved by Jesus, the Apocalypse and on and on, with a microphone and speaker.

I was also given a flyer by someone promoting personality tests at a Scientology center, does that count?

I think any Scientology counts as fundamentalism of the most exploitive sort.

Once, I went to a small school with some fundamentalist Mormon and Evangelical (probably Pentecostal) kids. This was right as Bush announced he would be invading Iraq. I said that the war was unnecessary because blowing up other countries tends to do more harm than good. But this other boy (I'll call him Bob) was saying that we have to go to war because they "hate American freedoms" and "train their kids to kill Americans" and "want to take over America," and also it was our "Christian duty" to reach those filthy brown heathens. I said that taking the actions and sentiments of a few extremists and applying them to all Muslims and all people in the Middle East was intolerant and didn't make much sense. In response, he asked me if I was a "terrorist sympathizer." I said no. He asked me what church I went to. I said I didn't go to a church, but I went to a synagogue sometimes. He said he didn't know what a synagogue was.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 08:08:14 pm »
The guy didn't come back.  :P
Then the Rapture did happen. He got raptured! :D
-A Pen Name

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 09:38:21 pm »
When I took confirmation class, they had this one guy come in who almost singlehandedly deconverted me. He told us that "we don't know what happens to dead unbaptized babies" (official Catholic doctrine is that they probably go into Limbo but more likely go straight to Heaven), that a woman should be glad to "lay down her life for her child" (conceived via rape), and that the only godly method of birth control was the Rhythm Method (which was, as all birth control methods are, not accurate at all and should be avoided if possible). If we got married, we had to do it in a Catholic ceremony and never get divorced, and it was a bad idea to marry a non-Catholic, but if we did, we had to have a Catholic ceremony and raise our kids Catholic. Oh, and "millions of Jews are converted each day" and we should try to convert as many as possible. I ended up getting into a rather heated argument with him about abortion and women's rights and stewed in rage for the rest of the evening.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 10:39:39 pm »
Isn't the Rhythm Method subverting God's will just as much as a condom? After all, the objective of using it is to have sex and avoid getting pregnant, and we all know having sex for any other reason than making babies is wrong.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 10:43:25 pm »
I've had so many experiences with fundamentalist Christianity over the years that it would be impossible to list everything. Highlights, though, include:

--A creationist telling me that scientists knew that creation was true and only believed in evolution because they didn't want to admit that God was real.

--Being asked why I was so concerned about the rights of "affluent gay people" when there was far worse in the world.

--Someone claiming to have encountered a demon-possessed guy while on a mission trip (some guy rushed at the group screaming) and to have been attacked by demons personally (some sort of intense sleep paralysis that apparently lasted 2 hours).

--A speaker warning everyone about what happens when they go to college. Claimed that universities were full of people who want to disprove God, that nobody had ever seen an atom or a molecule or witnessed a monkey become a man. Said they should trust him because he was a Chemistry major. Also claimed that he had once been an atheist trying to disprove God until he saw God writing something like "I AM COMING. I AM COMING SOON" on the wall one night, then instantly converted.

--A rather disturbing conversation with a fundie who believed that certain diseases were linked to particular sins as natural consequences of immoral behavior (AIDS-homosexuality was one, and breast cancer was linked somehow to use of chemical contraceptives by the mothers of the afflicted). Also believed that the universe was actually an elaborate illusion created by God by using subatomic particles as a kind of computer program.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:56:13 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 10:52:54 pm »
When I took confirmation class, they had this one guy come in who almost singlehandedly deconverted me. He told us that "we don't know what happens to dead unbaptized babies" (official Catholic doctrine is that they probably go into Limbo but more likely go straight to Heaven), that a woman should be glad to "lay down her life for her child" (conceived via rape), and that the only godly method of birth control was the Rhythm Method (which was, as all birth control methods are, not accurate at all and should be avoided if possible). If we got married, we had to do it in a Catholic ceremony and never get divorced, and it was a bad idea to marry a non-Catholic, but if we did, we had to have a Catholic ceremony and raise our kids Catholic. Oh, and "millions of Jews are converted each day" and we should try to convert as many as possible. I ended up getting into a rather heated argument with him about abortion and women's rights and stewed in rage for the rest of the evening.

The only form of birth control I have been taught about in school is the Rhythm Method. Basically the teacher said, "Don't have sex unless you want kids, but it's the woman's responsibility to use the rhythm method if she wants to get pregnant, and bythewaycondomsdoexist."

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »
--Being asked why I was so concerned about the rights of "affluent gay people" when there was far worse in the world.
I hate that kind of argument soooooooooooooooo much!

Though we can always go the absurdist route: “Why are you helping that starving Ethiopian baby? Are you sure there is no one who has it worst? Maybe we need to find a starving Ethiopian baby who is being tortured? Or maybe someone can have it worse than that. Can’t help anyone until we have helped the very worst off, after all!”
-A Pen Name

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 04:43:53 pm »
Oh, and "millions of Jews are converted each day" and we should try to convert as many as possible.
I don't suppose anyone bothered to point out that Judaism would vanish in two weeks if that was true?
Σא

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 06:02:05 pm »
*is living disproof of the rhythm method's efficacy* :P

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 08:49:07 pm »
My friend's mom is a new age fundie. She believes that all diseases are the result of negative thoughts being sent out and bounced off the universe, thus coming back to haunt you in the form of body horror. For instance, in her nutty world, asthma is caused by a person feeling constricted in life.

Needless to say, she's a big fan of quantum mysticism.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)