Author Topic: Michael and Debi Pearl.  (Read 22221 times)

Offline Servo

• Bishop
  • Wait... what?
Re: Michael and Debi Pearl.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 04:26:55 am »
Never heard of them until they forced YouTube to delete almost every Everything is Terrible video off the site. After learning about them more... I am angered and saddened that those two idiots aren't in jail yet.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 11:20:21 am »
Just because he writes a book about it, or even preaches it in his sermons, I don't think he can be held liable for what his "followers" actually do with their kids.

Wouldn't it be incitement to violence? Because, you know, he's telling people to be violent?

Incitement to violence laws don't really exist in the USA.  Unfortunately.  We'd have Glenn Beck locked up for several life sentences, if we did.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 12:33:33 pm »
Actually any of the right-wing media big wigs would be locked up for several life sentences.

Ironbite-and the airwaves would be oh so much clearer.

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 01:14:16 pm »
Just because he writes a book about it, or even preaches it in his sermons, I don't think he can be held liable for what his "followers" actually do with their kids.

Wouldn't it be incitement to violence? Because, you know, he's telling people to be violent?

Incitement to violence laws don't really exist in the USA.  Unfortunately.  We'd have Glenn Beck locked up for several life sentences, if we did.

Yeah, they really don't..I was actually looking for laws they could technically be held liable under..They are fairly secure, unfortunately.
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 06:21:37 am »
These people make me sick. I loathe freedom of speech sometimes, when that freedom allows people to spew bullroar like this.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 08:56:47 am »

Well....we'll propose those laws! Petition for then. Injustice? Change the law. Simple. Remember, there is THE LAW OF KARMA! The Pearls will lose, they will. Same for Westboro. Good will win eventually. Don't believe the lie of "The Karma Houdini". How do you know The Zodiac Killer, Torso Killer & Elizabeth Short's killer didn't get brutally murdered, die from an agonizing illness, get arrested for something else & croaked in the Can (or executed) or get mangled in a car wreck or plane crash?

Sure, some evil people may be an exception but for the most part, bad guys get SOME sort of last desserts.

Being one who who acknowledges the concept of an afterlife, the "Karma Houdinis" get the big payback in the next life (a purgatorial hellish existence or a very crappy reincarnation). You don't have to believe this, of course.

The best way to make things right is to fight for it. Sitting around and bellyaching about the Pearls, Hezbollah House, The Phelps Hate Cult, etc. is not gonna change things! You GOTTA CHANGE THE LAWS, thus...NO MORE LOOPHOLES!!!!

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 09:06:47 am »

I think she's right. Wasn't most of what Manson got put away for because he incited his followers to do it? I'm almost positive there are laws on the books in various states holding you liable if you direct someone to do something harmful and they do it.

Edit: From Wikipedia.
Charles Milles Manson (born November 12, 1934) is an American criminal who led what became known as the Manson Family, a quasi-commune that arose in California in the late 1960s.[1][2]:163–4, 313[3] He was found guilty of conspiracy to commit the Tate/LaBianca murders carried out by members of the group at his instruction. He was convicted of the murders through the joint-responsibility rule, which makes each member of a conspiracy guilty of crimes his fellow conspirators commit in furtherance of the conspiracy's object.[4][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson

Perhaps they could be charged with something like Conspiracy to commit child endangerment?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:35:13 am by rosenewock21 »
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline lighthorseman

• Argumentative Contrarian
  • On Probation
  • Bishop
  • Proud Y chromosome owner
    • Company of the Wolf
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 09:33:01 am »
Said it on the old forums... so once again, repugnant as I find the Pearls personally, freedom of speech, its not just for people you agree with.
Let me make it real easy... if anyone is interested in my actual opinion, please ask, I'd love to talk to you. If you are interested in trying to catch me out in some sort of "gotcha, before you said 'many', but now you're saying 'lots', you totally shifted goal posts", then, I'm not playing.

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 09:38:30 am »
Said it on the old forums... so once again, repugnant as I find the Pearls personally, freedom of speech, its not just for people you agree with.

Except even freedom of speech has its limits. You are free to tell someone you think they are a godless, immoral, faggot who will rot in the bowels of hell for all eternity (it hurt to type that). You are not free, or shouldn't be at least, to order people to kill someone because you believe the previous statement.

Another example is yelling "Fire!" in a crowded area. Your free speech ended the moment you put people in danger.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline lighthorseman

• On Probation
  • Bishop
    • Company of the Wolf
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 09:41:27 am »

Except even freedom of speech has its limits. You are free to tell someone you think they are a godless, immoral, faggot who will rot in the bowels of hell for all eternity (it hurt to type that). You are not free, or shouldn't be at least, to order people to kill someone because you believe the previous statement.

Another example is yelling "Fire!" in a crowded area. Your free speech ended the moment you put people in danger.
Sure, if there is no fire. The Pearls (presumably) don't believe what they are doing is akin to a false alarm.
Let me make it real easy... if anyone is interested in my actual opinion, please ask, I'd love to talk to you. If you are interested in trying to catch me out in some sort of "gotcha, before you said 'many', but now you're saying 'lots', you totally shifted goal posts", then, I'm not playing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 09:49:36 am »
Who said one has to believe they're causing danger to actually cause danger?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline lighthorseman

• On Probation
  • Bishop
    • Company of the Wolf
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 09:51:15 am »
Who said one has to believe they're causing danger to actually cause danger?

nO ONE, BUT TO BE STOPPED FROM DOING SOMETHING, THEY HAVE TO BE PROVEN LIKELY TO CAUSE HARM

Oops, sorry caps

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 09:52:21 am »

Sure, if there is no fire. The Pearls (presumably) don't believe what they are doing is akin to a false alarm.

Except children have died because of their methods. Methods that are patently child abuse. If the parents of the children can be charged with child abuse for acting upon the Pearls' instructions then the Pearls are guilty of conspiracy to commit child abuse.

Offline lighthorseman

• On Probation
  • Bishop
    • Company of the Wolf
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 09:54:31 am »

Except children have died because of their methods. Methods that are patently child abuse. If the parents of the children can be charged with child abuse for acting upon the Pearls' instructions then the Pearls are guilty of conspiracy to commit child abuse.
Hey, I agree, but to restrict somewones freedom of speech, you gotta have a proven causal link. Has such a link been established in a couirt of law?

Offline lighthorseman

• On Probation
  • Bishop
    • Company of the Wolf
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:11 am »
I mean we live in societies where alcohol companies are allowed to advertise freely...