Author Topic: More than 80% of Catalans support independence  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
More than 80% of Catalans support independence
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:44:30 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29982960

An informal vote on independence for Catalonia has shown more than 80% in favour, organisers say.

The provisional results followed a day of voting across the region in north-eastern Spain.

Earlier, Catalan leader Artur Mas hailed the non-binding poll "a great success" that should pave the way for a formal referendum.

The non-binding vote went ahead after Spain's constitutional court ruled out a formal referendum.

Spanish Justice Minister Rafael Catala dismissed the poll as "fruitless and useless".

"The government considers this to be a day of political propaganda organised by pro-independence forces and devoid of any kind of democratic validity," he said in a statement.

Vice President Joana Ortega said that more than two million people had taken part in the poll and that with almost all votes counted, 80.72% had backed independence.

Mr Mas said that the "consultation of citizens" was a historic success that set the stage for a full referendum.

Looks like they might have to redraw the maps pretty soon.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: More than 80% of Catalans support independence
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:28:36 am »
Only if they win a civil war. The government of Spain is not having any of this shit. That is why this is an "informal" vote because the government did not give them a permission to vote on this.

(The fact that Catalonia is the rich part of Spain that is actually doing well is reason enough for the government not to want them secede.)

EDIT: Turns out that the article isn't quite true. The title at least is extremely misleading.

Like Paragon's post says:
Vice President Joana Ortega said that more than two million people had taken part in the poll and that with almost all votes counted, 80.72% had backed independence.

Two million out of 5.4 million eligible voters. And because anyone over the age 16 was allowed to vote in this "informal poll" the amount of potential voters in the region was 6.3 million people and they only managed to get a third of them to vote for independence.

It is possible that the most of the people who want the independence came to vote and they are still a minority in the region.

Opinion polls suggest that as many as 80% of Catalans want an official referendum on the issue of Catalonia's status, with about 50% in favour of full independence.

Oh, and even from those two million less than a million want independence.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:05:49 pm by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 04:18:29 pm »
Opinion polls suggest that as many as 80% of Catalans want an official referendum on the issue of Catalonia's status, with about 50% in favour of full independence.

Oh, and even from those two million less than a million want independence.

Those are separate opinion polls, not from this same referendum.

I think it's enough to justify an official referendum. The recent Scottish referendum is an excellent model.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 04:41:48 pm »
Thirty six percent of Dr. Scholl products support fallen arches.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 04:54:13 pm »
There's more to this. Spain is creating a lot of the desire for independence by refusing to grant any extra autonomy to Catalonia. The reason why is because if they grant the Catalans any you can bet your bottom dollar that the Basques will say "what about us?" There are plenty in Catalonia who'd accept compromise but unlike say, the choices offered in Scotlands recent referendum, they aren't being offered any so for many of them, independence it is.

If Spain's government pulled their collective stick out of their arse and offered a compromise it'd be interesting to poll the Catalans a second time and see what the pro independence numbers were after that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:55:56 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 04:55:26 pm »
So are we gonna get to see Castile and Aragon appear again? Maybe Asturias or Leon?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.