Author Topic: Why Are Black People Christian More Often Than Other People?  (Read 17948 times)

Distind

Re: Why Are Black People Christian More Often Than Other People?
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2012, 01:58:53 pm »
To be completely fair to Reasonator here I've seen riled to mean agitated far more often than simply angry, and lots of people get agitated over relationships. On looking 'rile' up to agitate something(as in the mechanical process of agitation) actually seems to be the definition.

There are far more reasonable things to annoy him with than word choice.

Anyway, Reasonator, from what I'm seeing you're a bit more socially detached than I am. You've got to remember that logic doesn't always factor into how people live, there isn't always a nice clear trail of believe, and you're pretty damn lucky if you can trace through these things to find a real cause. We have entire sciences devoted to trying to figure out why people do things, there haven't been many easy answers. Unless someone hated their mother.

Offline Ri Jayden

• Queer Commander of 'The Rainbow Resistance'
  • Neonate
  • SiriuslyDemented
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2012, 03:56:44 pm »
I'm a black former christian, so let me take a whack at it...
If someone tells you a lie long enough, people begin to believe it. Also, the negro spirituals and  belief in a 'loving' christian god that would save them got the slaves through harsh times. Like most people who pray right before something good happens, they rejoiced and blamed god for ending slavery, and the religion stuck. Being taught that your former religion is evil and caused you to be slaves in the first place doesn't help either. As for the gay thing: it's about 'manhood' that black men feel the constant need to assert, and black women claim to desire. Lessies aren't a problem, as the men think they can 'convert' them. I've had black men tell me all the time (black women tell me too) that all I need is a man in my life. *eyeroll* I also saw it in high school: The big burly football/basketball jocks were praised by the others, and any male that showed any femininity was shunned or abused, like some of the male choir members I was friends with.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2012, 05:58:50 pm »
I'm a black former christian, so let me take a whack at it...
If someone tells you a lie long enough, people begin to believe it. Also, the negro spirituals and  belief in a 'loving' christian god that would save them got the slaves through harsh times. Like most people who pray right before something good happens, they rejoiced and blamed god for ending slavery, and the religion stuck. Being taught that your former religion is evil and caused you to be slaves in the first place doesn't help either. As for the gay thing: it's about 'manhood' that black men feel the constant need to assert, and black women claim to desire. Lessies aren't a problem, as the men think they can 'convert' them. I've had black men tell me all the time (black women tell me too) that all I need is a man in my life. *eyeroll* I also saw it in high school: The big burly football/basketball jocks were praised by the others, and any male that showed any femininity was shunned or abused, like some of the male choir members I was friends with.

The different views on lesbians and gay men also reflects a sexist assumption(not just with blacks, with society at large) that says men are to be held responsible because they are in charge, but since women are historically viewed as inferior people tend to think "oh the poor dear is just confused".

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2013, 11:33:17 am »
Concerning the idea that it's "human nature" to hate or need an "other" to fear....why don't people decide just to hate people who deserve to be hated, like serial killers & other nasty, cruel people? I think this "hating folks for their color, gender, creed, etc." is more about political manipulation of the populace than anything. The concept for hating/discriminating against someone because of traits other than character is downright insane.

Concerning homophobia, homophobia & misogyny go hand-in-hand. Evil twins.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2013, 12:19:11 pm »
Holy fucking necro Spuri.

Ironbite-you seriously have to stop this.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:38 pm »
How did I know exactly who necroed this thread before I even clicked on it?

Really now, it takes less that a second to read the date of the last post. Even you should be able to manage that.